Author Topic: Finally Pulled The Trigger!!!  (Read 1914 times)

superrman77

• View Profile
Finally Pulled The Trigger!!!
« on: October 05, 2019, 11:42:09 PM »
Well after bugging you guys on here since last year I finally went out and got a 2019 Kymco 450i uxv.  I debated on getting a Pionner 500.  I really wanted a diff lock, dump bed, and power steering.  I just couldn't see buying a machine and having to dump a bunch of money into it to get a locker and power steering.  Obviously the 450i doesn't have power steering but it feels really light to me and that's what I gathered from everyone.  The 700 was the machine that the power steering was needed.  So my first impressions of it.  Now I have ridden since I was a young kid.  I'm not a newbie to atv's and side x sides by any means.  I just want to give you guys some honest feedback so far who are still on the fence about buying one like I was.  My last new machine was a 2005 Yamaha Grizzly and it was and an awesome machine. I think Yamaha's are the standard of cat machines.  Enough rambling.  I feel the seat is very comfortable.  The gauges are nice and easy to read. They display could be larger but you have to realize what you are getting for the price point.  The shifter does take some getting used but I dont think it is horrible.  I think it's as good as what was on the 660 Grizzly.  I have a pretty steep hill behind the house so I wanted to put the engine braking to the test.  I had myself and my neighbor with me and I didn't even have to touch the brake. The low end and engine braking are the things I'm most impressed with so far.  Now let's talk about the skid plates.  They are plastic and leave a lot to be desired.  They were plastic on my Grizzly as well.  I'm not sure if any manufacture is putting metal skid plates on machines from the factory.  I think those days are long gone.  I ran over a small stump in the yard and the plate already has a good dent in it.  So some metal skid plates and a winch will be on order before I hit the trails.

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Finally Pulled The Trigger!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 05:14:02 PM »
A metal skid will also dent and bend...but no memory to return to original shape.  To get strength, your gonna need a thick metal plate for strength and that means extra weight.  No one good solution, all depends where you ride. Also keep in mind plastic plates are cheap, compared to metal.

Dayooper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
welcome. enjoy the machine.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »
Have had mine for six months now. Still enjoying it. Welcome to the family!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 11:37:05 PM »
Mine will be 4yrs old in Jan of the comming new year.
Has over 1400 miles and still running strong with no regrets.
Primarily a workhorse but still fun on the trails.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:48:21 AM »
Figured I would give a little update on my machine.  While dropping the plastic skids I have found a few of the mounting screw holes stripped.  It bugs me that I have a new machine and have to re-tap them.  I would imagine this was done at the factory.  While dropping the back skid plate a small nut fell down with it.  I haven't been able to find anything that is missing a nut yet.  I've looked everywhere.  Mine also didn't come with the winch mounting plate.  I called my dealer last week and they have one ready for me to pickup.  My goal is to get the skid plates and winch installed this weekend.  I've mounted the middle plates already.  I'm probably gonna have to drop them to re-tap the mounting screw holes.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 05:48:46 PM »
The screws that hold the skid plates are not tapped, they use a self tapping screw.  On my machine I did retap all the holes and went bigger and added additional holes for added support. I used a 1/4 - 20 thread oversize round head bolt.  Much better and stronger than stock. Frame is thick enough to hold threads. If a bolt snaps off, use a drill to drill out broken bolt, when the drill grabs, it will thread the broken bolt on thru so you wont have to retap. Sounds like a lot of extra work but well worth it in the long run.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 08:49:52 PM »
Well I finally finished installing the Badlands 3500# winch that I purchased a couple weeks ago.  I ended up mounting the solenoid in the battery compartment.  Are these machines suppose to come with a tool it?  I can't find one anywhere.  I think my next purchase I going to be a front windshield.  I am leaning toward the Super Atv flip-up windshield.  Anyone have any feedback on windshields?

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 01:13:36 AM »
Well I finally finished installing the Badlands 3500# winch that I purchased a couple weeks ago.  I ended up mounting the solenoid in the battery compartment.  Are these machines suppose to come with a tool it?  I can't find one anywhere.  I think my next purchase I going to be a front windshield.  I am leaning toward the Super Atv flip-up windshield.  Anyone have any feedback on windshields?
Check the storage box under the hood.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
No tools under the hood.

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
No tools under the hood.
Call dealer. Mine was in the box under the hood. You looked in the two under the seat I assume.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
Guess I will have to call the dealer.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 04:10:54 PM »
Tool kit usually in the glove box. Best that you create your own tool kit as most kits that come with any ATV/SxS are less than usefull.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 08:25:48 PM »

I recently installed the Super ATV folding windshield on my machine. I like it! I made a post about it with some photos here:

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=28771.0
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 08:41:53 PM »
I've looked everywhere for the toolkit.  I have found a few issues so far.  Missing winch plate which dealer ordered me one.  While I was dropping the plastic skids for replacement a brass nut dropped down with the plates.  It's one of the smaller ones.  I've looked everywhere and can't find anything missing a nut.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()