Author Topic: Engine needs half to full throttle to start  (Read 2285 times)

CALtd-SLO

• View Profile
Engine needs half to full throttle to start
« on: September 27, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
Engine will not idle. The day started out fine. The bike started and got me 2 miles to the park to play Pickleball. 2 hours later I leave the park and get 2.5 miles down the road to get petrol and stop to turn left. Engine dies. I had to push it across street to get out of left turn lane.

At the curb on the stand, I was able to full (then half) throttle start the engine multiple times but could only sustain operation at least half throttle. Thinking this was lack of petrol situation I forced the engine to get me 2 blocks to gas station. Once full of new petrol and many attempts to start engine and reduce throttle lower, I decide to ride the 2 miles home never let it stall out. Luckily I only had 1 red light and coasted through a couple of stop signs.

Thinking the problem was idle setting I tried maxing out idle seat. No joy.

Then I removed the seat bucket and found that manifold from carburetor to cylinder was missing 1 of 2 nuts and the other was about to come off as well. The O ring for the manifold was distorted and not round.

Need opinions of my options:
  • take it back the the shop that just worked on it less than 500 miles ago to replace head gaskets
  • reassemble with new gaskets and O rings
  • rebuild the carburetor while I have it off in case it was the cause of fuel problems
  • suspect fuel in tank problem (bad gas) and flush the tank

Shop manual suggests there is a "fuel screen" but I cannot find any info on where it is located and can be cleaned or replaced.

CALtd-SLO

• View Profile
Re: Engine needs half to full throttle to start
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:21:07 PM »
I must add that I think option 1 is wrong because I can believe I will ever trust the only shop within 100 miles again.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:43:17 PM »
I must add that I think option 1 is wrong because I can believe I will ever trust the only shop within 100 miles again.
When you look at parts diagrams do you see a thing which looks like a Tea-bag on the lower end of the fuel pump, in the tank?
That's the fuel filter on my LIKE200i.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
Definitely agree not exercising option #1.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CALtd-SLO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 03:23:54 AM »
No tea bag but there is a vacuum valve on the bottom of the tank. Manual has test procedure that I will work on this weekend. Thanks all for comments. I'll test and report.

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
I suppose if you found that the intake was loose, then you have found the source of the problem.  Shop obviously did not tighten the intake down properly. 

I would just install the intake properly, and go from that point.  As it no doubt came loose on your way to pickleball, the lean condition would have caused the hard starting.  So you probably have no fuel issue.

Call the shop that did the work and let them know what had happened.  Running lean like that didn't help your engine.
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
Sounds like Dan V has the right advice. Have you had a chance to re tighten everything back up?  did it fix the problem?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CALtd-SLO

• View Profile
Re: Engine needs half to full throttle to start (resolved)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 05:03:41 AM »
Thank you all for your comments and encouragement.

I obtained an O-ring to at O'Reillys for the intake manifold. Amazing that the People 200 S was in their computer that led the counter woman on scavenger hunt to find a suitable match. Turns out it was a part for 4cyl Acura Honda engine. (remember that KYMCO used to make bikes for Honda)

I have not done a long ride but went around the block to make sure no other obvious issues will rise up on my next journey.

I am not sure I ever want to step foot into the local Scooter shop, so the observation to talk to them will not have resolution.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()