Author Topic: lack of knee room on a scooter  (Read 537 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
lack of knee room on a scooter
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:44 PM »
 Scooters are shaped to fit the shorter Asians and Europeans.
We buy so few scooters in N. Americans that we are lucky they even sell scooters here.

I want to ride a scooter - so I just deal with it. (only the LIKE200i seat had to be rebuilt - because it was remarkably painful after 20 mins due to a ridge in the seat pan half way back. Not a problem for Asian riders)

I'm over 6'3" and 245lbs. I chose to change the stock mirrors on all 4 of my scooters (a 400, a 300 & the LIKE and Piaggio) because my chest size blocked my rear vision.

But I have never had a problem with knee room on any of the scooters. My turns involve leaning and very little bar movement. IF I need a tight turn at low speed I splay a knee a bit. No worries.

Do I have a lot of knee room?
No, I do not.
The Piaggio*:

My home-made LIKE seat is higher, wider and thicker than the stock seat, which lets me sit well back and comfortably dead atop that horrible ridge:

There seem to be more remarks about seats being too high than bars too close on scooter forums?
*To make certain I didn't have a seat issue with the Piaggio - I test sat it in the crate after helping them unbox it. -"Fits fine, I'll buy it!"
Stig
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:38:35 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: lack of knee room on a scooter
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:39:53 AM »
... due to a ridge in the seat pan half way back. Not a problem for Asian riders ...

Not a problem for me either (2018 Kymco Like 200i). I've ridden that ridge so much in two months, I think I wore it down with use. There were at least six 45-minute riding sessions during my MSF course, most of that time spent in the saddle. I might feel the saddle sore effects if I rode a constant speed on a straight line for longer durations. Sounds like a reason to ride to Vegas - 347 miles door-to-door.

Because I ride the ridge, leg room is not a problem.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()