Author Topic: Super 9 not starting after sat still for 8 months  (Read 969 times)

Butch1978

• View Profile
Super 9 not starting after sat still for 8 months
« on: August 31, 2019, 11:15:14 AM »
Hi
Got a 2009 super 9 it was being used until feb 2019 and since then it has sat still! I have tried to start it today! And it doesn’t want to play ball! I have checked the spark plug and it seems to be given I string spark! The battery is completely dead so the electric start won’t work! And I have plenty of fuel!
Any ideas? Is it worth charging the battery and try the electric start or can I put jump leads on the battery to give it some life?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Super 9 not starting after sat still for 8 months
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 11:48:31 AM »
You can try charging battery. Or try jumping it from another 12V battery....BUT if it's from a car , make sure car is NOT running!
Report back after trying, please.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:20:19 PM »
You can try charging battery. Or try jumping it from another 12V battery....BUT if it's from a car , make sure car is NOT running!
Report back after trying, please.
Stig
Ok thanks I will give that a bash this after noon from a car battery!

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
Mine will do the same thing after sitting for some time.  For some reason it does not want to draw fuel easily.

I usually drain the fuel system and run all the gas out during winter lay-up.  In the spring, fresh fuel is added.
I have to remove the air box cover and hold my hand or a rag over the the intake to the carb while using the electric starter.  This creates more vacuum in the crankcase/carb to get the fuel flowing. 

Of course, having fuel sit in the carb bowl for that long is not good.  If the above procedure does not work for you, then you may have to pull your carb and clean it, add new fuel and try again.
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 03:18:53 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! It started after using jump
Leads! I let it run for about ten minutes and removed the jump leads! And it has started a handful of times without a battery! So think it needed some encouragement ! Thanks for all your help

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()