Author Topic: How to sell a Kymco  (Read 1446 times)

stuo

• View Profile
How to sell a Kymco
« on: August 03, 2019, 11:23:44 PM »
I have had recent good luck selling my Kymcos by telling  prospective customers to bring their helmet and take a ride with no obligation to buy. So far, two out of two sold to the first test riders. Our bikes run and handle so well they sell themselves, you just gotta get them to try them.
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How to sell a Kymco
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:20:46 AM »
I might consider a test ride for a prospective buyer IF he rode up on two wheels and I liked what he had!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:29:12 PM »
I agree, Karl. I ask to see their motorcycle license and ride along side on one of my scooters. Never do I let anyone ride off unaccompanied on one of my bikes, or car, for that matter.
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 01:53:45 AM »
Yeah, agree.
Son sold his Honda over the w/e. 4 pleasant young fellows showed up on a KTM and a big Ducati and in a new Mustang.
Son dealt with them on facebook prior to meeting.
After chatting and looking it over, 2 fellows geared up and took the Honda for quick test rides.
Then climbed in the Mustang for the short drive to son's bank.
The clean bike sold itself.
I tell you - that EFI is really impressive. This bike hadn't been started in months. Leapt to life and went straight into a smooth idle.
Rode off smoothly while cold.
Wife served them bottled water and cookies (yeah, I know) ( - was able to keep my teenaged daughter in the house...all 4 were good looking guys!)
All 4 said thanks & shook our hands as they headed out for a 2hr ride back to their town.

In my experiences, selling is easier than buying!

Stig
PS: I did keep thinking that I should buy that pretty CB500X Honda....but I'd have to sell the scoots and get back on the highway again - although it was very docile and easy to ride on inner city streets. This bike would surely have lasted out my days. (I'm a long-time Honda fan)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 12:09:50 AM »
You went from the singular (I) to we (our). What is the name of your shop?  I tend to agree. I never had a scoot shop hassle me about a test drive until I moved to TN. These folks have no idea how to run a business. A younger person could clean up here just by following common sense business rules & etiquette. They chase away more business than they invite here. It's an amazing thing to witness.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 07:41:00 AM »
I find bikes harder to buy than cars. I have always tried to be an easygoing seller. If they want a test ride, I look after their car keys whilst they go around the block. So far that seems to have worked OK!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
Ya know maybe it’s just paranoid Al but I wouldn’t be worried about the scooter on the test ride, I’d be worried about my house. Insurance issues should the unthinkable happen....

It’s all good till it’s not, then the lawyers get involved.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
35 yrs ago I ended up with an ulcer after dealing with a nut who was buying my Rabbit to take to S. America.
Walking into his bank....he was still worried I was ripping him off....and maybe wrecked it while driving downtown TO his bank. He turned around and had to go look at it and hear it run, one more time.
Also, had a young wife tell her husband not to buy, because I'd (always) kept the engine bay so clean...."must be hiding a bad leak!"
If I were wealthy I'd never sell privately!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 08:50:52 PM »
It only takes one scammer, or one accident, to ruin our day, or our life, as in "there goes the house", which is why we meet, interview, check the license, ride alongside...and keep fingers crossed, rabbit foot clutched tightly and insurance current. Still....
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()