Author Topic: Looking to Buy: Xciting 500 questions & expectations  (Read 4910 times)

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Looking to Buy: Xciting 500 questions & expectations
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 07:22:29 AM »
I know you are not displaying offense, just commenting on human behaviour.
I long ago arrived at peace regarding comeback.
It is human nature, cant be changed in most cases, so I try not to get offended, but I still find myself having to let it go, on numerous occasions.

I notice I do it too, unless I remember to respond the way I would like to be treated.

Then, there is that other thing ; life just gets in the way....... [emoji3].

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

BigBlue505

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »
I think some people give up on solving their problems, like this guy.  I'm thinking of taking a trailer over and checking it out.
 https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/d/albuquerque-2009-kymco-xciting-500/6938609040.html
The ad didn't last long.  It was a red 2009 500RI with wiring problems and being sold as parts for $200.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:36:40 PM by BigBlue505 »
2008 Kymco Xciting
New Mexico

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 01:33:21 AM »
I know you are not displaying offense, just commenting on human behaviour.
I long ago arrived at peace regarding comeback.
It is human nature, cant be changed in most cases, so I try not to get offended, but I still find myself having to let it go, on numerous occasions.

I notice I do it too, unless I remember to respond the way I would like to be treated.

Then, there is that other thing ; life just gets in the way....... [emoji3].

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk
Great attitude to live by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

mrjlube

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
Im selling my like new 2009 xciting 500 for 2300. Im in Michigan though. New tires,like new. 7,800 miles. Hard times makes me need to sell. Very sad to let it go.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »
You could always look at a new Xciting 400i. I have had one for 2 years and virtually no problems. Its quick, nimble and decent on gas about 60-70 mpg. I have seen some sales for between 4-5k US dollars.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Tom Moy

• My 500Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »
Do not check this forum very often! Thought I would give you my thoughts as a long time owner of a 2008 Kymco RI500 which I bought in summer of 2009.
Thus I have owned my Kymco for 10 years and am completely happy with this scooter. Two years after I purchased the bike I had a "Cosy" sidecar rig permanently installed so I could get my wife to ride with me on summer trips.
         Now I read that many people have had starting issues with this scooter brand due to cold weather. Wel I live in Mississauga Ontario Canada where it gets pretty cold in winter and I can say that I have never had a problem starting mu Kymco any November day I chose to do so. Also the only major parts I have ever had to replace on my scooter has been the battery. I had to replace the battery after the first year I owned the bike. This was before I bought a battery Deltran battery charger to which the scooter is plugged to when I am not riding the bike. I just replaced that battery this spring so I guess you should be able to get 8 plus years on a battery if it is hooked to a trickle charge when you are not riding.
          We don't use miles per hour in Canada but the first year I owned the scooter I did once push the speed up to 150- kilometers per hours on a nice straight strech of highway. Also even with a sidecar setup I have more that once come down Highway 403 off the Niagara escarpment where I had to maintain 130 km to keep up with traffic so there is great power available with the Kymco 500ri scooter.
           I do have the oil changed every spring as well as replacing the oil filter so the only other thing I do is I use premium gas in all its fill ups.
I would say I am one of the most pleased Kymco 500ri scooter owners. So if you wished to hear experiences of a long team Kymco owner I would recommend this scooter. The thing is that if you keep any scooter well maintained and cared for it should perform well for its owner under normal situations.
        I hope you enjoy your ride once you get it back into full running shape.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 11:12:42 PM »
Thanks for your feedback!
Truly.
Interesting scooter. When it is good - it is very good.
Overall - and from owner feedback here and on youtube - it gets the vote as Kymco's most problematic scooter...but do wonder what the % is. The squeaky wheel always get the most attention.
Glad it's working for you, and hope it continues to for a long time.
However, when asked, I cannot recommend it.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 04:38:28 PM »
If you have a pin hole leak in the carb diaphragm, it will suck air and not go very fast. The bike is old, it has never been changed, take my word on this. Order a new one, pop off the carb top under plastic cap-under the seat. 3 screws or 4 (don't remember), and lid lifts off. Beware not to lose spring. Put needle jet and plastic piece back in, in correct order with spring in same position it was in when you took it apart. Really very easy to do. You may need to smear a little grease on the lip of the new diaphragm to make it stay down inside the recessed area before placing spring with top-cap back on, but once you push lip in groove of top of carb you will know if you need the grease or not. Also, adjust the valves. They tend to loosen up over time/miles. Loose valves = a slow bike that sucks gas. Good luck. 

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 04:51:39 AM »
I am new here, and this is my 1st post. I've owned a lot of bikes, from almost every major manufacturer, but never a scoot until now. I've had from 250 singles up to an 1100 Suzuki, and am aware of superbike speed. I am impressed with the speed of my 2010 Kymco 500. It hits 70 fast without breaking a sweat and doesn't feel busy doing it. I got it for 1500 with 20,400 miles on it. I think it's a hoot, and the seat fits my short 5'7" frame well. I'm hoping for not too many issues.

mine88

• Kingston On Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 03:19:03 PM »
I bought a 2013 500 ri this spring have put 1000 kms on it only problem was dirty fuel injector and running cleaner through fix this. It is fun to ride only other complaint is that seat is like sitting on cement. I am going to buy an air hawk seat cushion.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()