Author Topic: Looking to Buy: Xciting 500 questions & expectations  (Read 5147 times)

yoster

• View Profile
Looking to Buy: Xciting 500 questions & expectations
« on: June 20, 2019, 11:14:42 PM »
Hey guys (and gals) - hoping you can help out here!

There's an xciting 500 (1st model year; carb'd) for sale for only 1500 bucks.  It's been laid down once but doesn't look too bad.  Has 6000 miles.

Test-drove it last weekend.  Rode my 250cc China-scoot (Honda Reflex Clone) to go see it (I wanted to feel the difference.) 

First impressions - the Xciting was definitely smoother.  Also a lot heavier (expected).  But, I was a little surprised by the speed.  Everything I've read says these things go 80+ without breaking a sweat.  I can confidently say that my 250cc china scoot felt muuuuch quicker all the way up to freeway speeds.  Granted, I have 19g sliders in the CVT, but it's half the displacement!  The Kymco didn't seem to want to go past 70mph.. Now, I didn't try for that long, to be fair, but wasn't like it was really heading to ~90mph (some claim 100mph on the 500cc kymco).

My first thought was... is this a re-badged 250cc xcite??? It was much too heavy for that though.

I want the scooter but afraid there's something wrong.  Anyone have any ideas?  Were my expectations just wrong?

It didn't seem to be mechanically broken in any way.  Started instantly, idled smooth, accelerated smooth, all was really great.  The overall power was just much, much less than I was expecting.  I'm hoping someone here may have a simple "Oh check this, that's the problem" solution!

Also, I doubt this matter but worth mentioning, the LCD on the gauge cluster was broken.  When you pushed the buttons you could KIND of get it to light up, but definitely not usable.  Is that a cheap/expensive fix? I'm taking the owner's word on the mileage because of that.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to Buy: Xciting 500 questions & expectations
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 11:44:54 PM »
Please read several 500 posts here. See the issues. Also check out youtubes of this 500. Some can be good scooters, however the 500 is far and away Kymco's most troublesome model.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:20:49 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 12:18:08 AM »
What Stig said plus a Downtown 300i will be satisfying and more reliable than any 500 carb or EFI. But then I am prejudiced having had two! Well, I still have the second one and you can't have it at any price! There are other 300 cc scoots that will do as well if EFI.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

BigBlue505

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 11:32:44 AM »
I bought a 2008 carbed version for $1400 in February.  My LCD odometer and clock are shot and I had to change the left turn signal switch.  A new meter assembly will cost about $193 and shouldn't be difficult to replace.  I was kind of skeptical about buying a Chinese (actually Taiwanese) scooter, but read that Kymco's are pretty reliable.  I'm enjoying this scooter and prefer to keep it under 65 mph.  The previous owner maintained it pretty well and it's been reliable so far.  I keep it garaged, so I haven't had any cold start problems.  I'm about 6 feet tall so I took off the backrest pad, put on a memory foam car-seat cushion strapped down with an ATV seat pad (both available at Walmart) and it's now pretty comfortable.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 11:35:27 AM by BigBlue505 »
2008 Kymco Xciting
New Mexico

yoster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
Thank you for the reply BigBlue.

Regarding searching, of course I used search.  You know what those 500 threads are missing?  Solutions!  The owners post a problem, people talk about it, but then the owner doesn't return to close the loop.  They just disappear (likely because their problem was solved.)  As such you have a lot of threads about a lot of problems.

The problems related to power are consistently mentioned as exhaust valves, low compression (which I would chalk up to neglect.)  Other issues are mentioned but slightly different than the symptoms I saw (no start issues, rough idle, cutting out.)

Again though specific to overall power, no resolutions mentioned.  No one saying "Hey I replace my exhaust valve and the scooter only did 65 before and now she feels like a rocket!"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:00:23 PM by yoster »

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »
When my exhaust valve was about to go, it only started slowing down in speed, roughly 3-4 days before I knew it was time to open my wallet again. Since it happened  to me 4 times, I believe I have the experience to say that is what you can expect as a symptom for the exhaust cam issue.
After the cam job, speed was back to 85.

If top end is not quite there rollers or belt worn?
The 500 is more regal in acceleration than rocket like performance.
Factors to consider.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

yoster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »
You da man, thank you.  I do recall hearing some squeeking upon takeoff so perhaps the belt was slipping, but if it was I think that was only from like 0-5mph. 

I'll do some research to see how much this exhaust cam job would run.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
Rockwell test that cam before you install it! My opinion (regard based on cost!) that Kymco or its supplier failed to heat treat/harden properly so just getting a replacement cam is not the answer if the new one is soft like the original.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 03:05:10 AM »
I've owned both the Xciting 500 and Xciting 250 at the same time.
You can't really tell the difference between the two bikes until you get past 55mph, they are pretty much identical before that.   The 250 really starts losing oomf at around 60 and struggles to reach 70, but the 500 will keep on going up to 90 (which is the fastest I took mine, well into the red line @10K rpm, but I could tell there was a little more available if I was willing to risk the engine).  They are both geared to have their powerband in highway speeds.

The quick check is to pop open the seat and look at the underseat storage.  If there is a carburetor access hatch and an air filter access hatch under the seat, it's a 500.  If you see no such ports its a 250.  Your statement about not wanting to get past 70mph leads me to believe you were driving a 250.  If it is a 500, it is definitely having issues.

I had to replace the stator on both bikes (and replaced the regulator and battery at the same time as insurance).

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 07:28:29 PM »
Thank you for the reply BigBlue.

Regarding searching, of course I used search.  You know what those 500 threads are missing?  Solutions!  The owners post a problem, people talk about it, but then the owner doesn't return to close the loop.  They just disappear (likely because their problem was solved.)  As such you have a lot of threads about a lot of problems.

The problems related to power are consistently mentioned as exhaust valves, low compression (which I would chalk up to neglect.)  Other issues are mentioned but slightly different than the symptoms I saw (no start issues, rough idle, cutting out.)

Again though specific to overall power, no resolutions mentioned.  No one saying "Hey I replace my exhaust valve and the scooter only did 65 before and now she feels like a rocket!"

You noticed that, too? Not closing the loop? Mostly with 50 cc posts with "HELP!" on either or both ends!

Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

TimC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 12:54:42 AM »
I had a 2007 carbed 500 and loved it. No mechanical issues and it would go strong up to about just over 80mph. Then it slowed down, but did still keep climbing until I let off just before 90mph.  I just sold it last Thursday on the Fourth and I'm already missing it; however, last night I brought home a used but new to me Vulcan 1500. It's going to take a while to get used to the weight and the massive acceleration, lol.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »
You noticed that, too? Not closing the loop? Mostly with 50 cc posts with "HELP!" on either or both ends!
I noticed that too. And it’s not just with Scooters and mechanical things. On Facebook’s amputee support group, someone will ask what to do about a sore, painful fit, best prosthesis choice, etc. a bunch of suggestions will be given. But the person will Not report back.
Same with the diabetes group. Someone will post an abnormally high number, share a medical complication, etc., and ask what to do. Again many suggestions will be given. But we get no follow up. I often wonder Did their problem get fixed? Are they still sick? Did they DIE? I think it’s RUDE to not follow up after asking a question, and people took the time to try to help. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
Yeah, well, Jesus cured 10 lepers and only one came back to thank him.....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 02:25:30 AM »
I've owned both the Xciting 500 and Xciting 250 at the same time.
You can't really tell the difference between the two bikes until you get past 55mph, they are pretty much identical before that.   The 250 really starts losing oomf at around 60 and struggles to reach 70, but the 500 will keep on going up to 90 (which is the fastest I took mine, well into the red line @10K rpm, but I could tell there was a little more available if I was willing to risk the engine).  They are both geared to have their powerband in highway speeds.

The quick check is to pop open the seat and look at the underseat storage.  If there is a carburetor access hatch and an air filter access hatch under the seat, it's a 500.  If you see no such ports its a 250.  Your statement about not wanting to get past 70mph leads me to believe you were driving a 250.  If it is a 500, it is definitely having issues.

I had to replace the stator on both bikes (and replaced the regulator and battery at the same time as insurance).
I too have a 2009  250 I and a 2006  500 carb xciting and your spot on  about acceleration. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 03:32:14 AM »
Yeah, well, Jesus cured 10 lepers and only one came back to thank him.....
I think you might have hit the nail on the head! Too many receive what they want or need and just go on their way as if the respondents were obligated to give it to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()