Author Topic: Instruments Not working But Mobile phone red light, Battery light ect ON  (Read 6983 times)

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
    • Top-notch ?asual Dating Verified Damsels
Hi my 2008 kymco xciting 500cc instruments dials no longer work and for some reason the mobile phone red light (which ive never seen), battery light and petrol yellow light are on.

Over the last month or so the speedometer has been switching itself on and off and this has got progressively worse until the dials no longer seem to be operational. 

Im thinking its either an electrical issue or its a result of all the speed bumps (traffic calming measures) that we have in our town which I seem to hit hard all the time as the roads are light glass here in southern spain and without ABS is very easy to lose the front end.

Please can someone give me some advice, I wanted to use the scooter for a road trip around spain but  its looking very bad.  I live in the country in a small town and the nearest kymco garage is too far to travel too.

PLEASE ANY ADVICE WILL BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED. Believe it or not the kymco is my primary transport as I commute to the work so cut through the traffic, Im using the family car which my wife needs for the kids.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
What is the condition of your battery? How old is it? Have you loadtested it? What were the results?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

BigBlue505

• View Profile
Bad electrical connections or grounding can often cause strange things to happen.  My next major purchase will be a new speedometer ($193.00).  The LCD odometer and clock don't work right anymore.  It's nothing serious, but I like things to work right.
2008 Kymco Xciting
New Mexico

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
I've seen something as simple as loose battery cables, at the post or the frame ground point, cause really weird stuff with the dash instruments.
Easy to check.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
Hi everyone Its extremely hot here in southern spain and we are actually only 5 miles 7km from Africa.   I seem to go through batteries every year and my last one is only 4 months old.   The engine is running perfect. But i need the instrument panels.  In Europe vehicles are  inspected every year or 2 do doing nothing is not an option.   Ive got some free time next week so will start to dismantle th bike and have a look at everything.

Ill check all the connections and clean everything.  i really need the bike to be working as in july i need it for a long road trip.  Thanks for the advice and please do keep pointing me in the right way on how yo fix this. 

willembop

• View Profile
The battery light being on might indicate a low battery, and a problem with the charging circuit. Connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running above idle and ensure the charging voltage reads above 13 volts. If it doesn't, then you'll have to troubleshoot the battery and charging system. Of course, look for loose connections first.

If the charging voltage is OK, I would check the fuses. There is one that primarily provides power to the instrument panel. If I remember correctly, the fuses are located to the left of the battery. Use a meter to do the check. You can find generalized instructions for checking fuses on Youtube.

If you need a mechanic, you don't need a Kymco garage specifically. Any competent motorcycle or scooter mechanic should be able to handle the problem for you.

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
Many thanks for your help, ill be free later on this week and will have alot of time to dedicate to this problem.  I have to get this scooter working again!!!!!! 

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
Hi Ive started the investigation of the issue i have with my kymco.  I took out and cleaned the starter relay and checked the 30amp green fuse is ok.  everything is ok and i reinstalled the battery and i still have the issue.

i read that the ground may be an issue,  where can i find cables that are the ground clables ib the frame of the bike.  Im going to take off the front end today when it cools down, but i dont really know what im looking for. 

just out of interest does anyone know how to test the starter relay????

thanks in advance???

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Wiring diagram indicates top right heavy wire ground point for battery and starter. That will be machine right on the frame, not real sure, between seat latch and starter locations. I have seen itafter rear body is removed. Just not REAL sure of EXACT location. The second ground point has three wires, two green, one brown with green tracer and should be up front near the ECU. You will see it when you get the front off.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
Thank Crossbolt, thats very useful unfortunately it did not make any sense.  Im sure other will understand but from your instructions I cant locate the ground.   Any chance of a dummies guide instructions or better still photos or a diagram????

xsel777

• View Profile
I have seen some thick ground wires under the seat bucket on my 500.
Where the regulator is mounted.

Also,I will bet there will be a spot beyond the dash where numerous black wires converge.
If not then follow the thick bunch of wires from behind the dash, the ones that connect into the dash, a fitting similar to the one that plugs into a computer motherboard

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
so is it a case of following the cable from the top to the bottom.  the bottom being here it should be connected to the frame and thus becoming the earth.   does an earth cable mean its literally screwed to the frame???   as we know there is alot of Spare switches and plugs.   I know that one at the front is to do with ABS which my bike does not have.  Im not sure why there are so many spare plugs.  i will try to hook up the instrument panel today and take a photo to show everyone.  Many thanks as always for your help,  I really nned the scooter to ride to Pamplona for the annual festival and have less than 4 weeks to work out a solution. (I need weeks for delivery of parts)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Are we talking, "Running of the Bulls" festival in Spain?!
Cool!
Hope you get it sorted.
Take photos please of you and your scooter there!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
yep, you have it right;screwed to the frame.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

ptingib

• mitapXD
    • View Profile
yes i did it when i left university as a poor ex student but that was 1998, im going back as Im heading for middle age and I now live in spain.  its my 21 anniversary for the run and instead of travelling in a VW camper van from england ill be riding up from andalusia on my beloved kymco which now has 55000 km.  I need to get her back on the road as this may be her last long trip.  Ill continue working on it tomorrow. Im a married father of two so these type of adventures that i use to do ALL the time never happen anymore.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()