Author Topic: Solenoid is only getting 3v and won't start.  (Read 1944 times)

frogseatflies

• View Profile
Solenoid is only getting 3v and won't start.
« on: February 23, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
What voltage is expected to the solenoid from the ignition start switch?  3v or 12v?   I'm currently getting 3v when I try to start the scooter.   (The battery is measuring 12.5v.)

My scooter isn't starting.    My solenoid is about 1 yr old.   (I replaced it 1 year ago.) .  I can jump the solenoid (by connecting to the two nuts/bolts atop the solenoid with wire) and the motor will start.   

We disconnected the starter switch from the solenoid and gave 12v to the solenoid leads from a separate 12v battery and it started the motor.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:41:08 PM by frogseatflies »

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: What voltage is expected to the solenoid from the ignition start switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »

My scooter isn't starting.    My solenoid is about 1 yr old.   (I replaced it 1 year ago.) .  I can jump the solenoid (by connecting to the two nuts/bolts atop the solenoid with wire) and the motor will start.

The Battery gives a 12.5 Volt reading, but this doesn't mean the battery is not on it's way out. It only means the battery is fully charged. Even with a full Voltage reading, a battery on it's way out often do not have enough  "holding power", to activate a starter motor.
In your case you actually need to do a proper load test on the battery first, to see if the battery is still any good.

Having said this, it also sounds like you might have a Voltage drop somewhere before the solenoid:

The scooter starts when you jump the solenoid - which means the solenoid is probably still in perfect condition. You could do a Voltage test on the thin wire at the solenoid. That wire gets power (+) feed feed via a longish route, thin wire, and switches when the starter button gets pressed. The problem could be located at any of those components.
It might be better to unplug the thin wire on the solenoid before you do  the Voltage test at the far end of the loose wire / terminal. A low Voltage reading on that loose wire when you press the starter button should confirm whether you have a substantial voltage drop before the solenoid or not.

Should you find a substantial Voltage drop on the thin wire, it means the problem could be caused by loose / dirty battery terminals, faulty ignition switch, faulty brake switches, faulty starter button, or broken wires.

The starting point would be to do a proper load test on the battery first.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:40:06 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

frogseatflies

• View Profile
Re: Solenoid is only getting 3v and won't start.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 05:57:48 PM »
Thanks for your help.

What we discovered was the contacts on the start switch needed cleaning.  I sanded them lightly with some fine sand paper.   There are a couple solid metal knobs in there that need cleaning.   Also, the top and bottom of the spring needed cleaning as well (since the spring is part of the circuit too).    Motor started up no problem after I did this.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
Just as a matter of interest - from what material are the contacts and spring made of ? Galvanized sheeting / steel ?

The reason why I’m asking - I experienced a similar problem on a diffent switch / application some time ago. I had to clean galvanized sheeting / steel components. The galvanizing has actually erroded and the problem kept on coming back after I initially cleaned everything. In the end I had no choice other than replacing the switch with a new one.

Moral of this post - depending on what material the cleaned components were made of, it might be better to get hold of a new switch in the meanwhile.

Whatever the case - good to know you got the scoot going.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:28:44 PM »
Component is faulty. Replace ( if practical).
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()