Author Topic: Spark Plugs?  (Read 796 times)

ccemn1

• View Profile
Spark Plugs?
« on: February 19, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »
I have a 2018 X=Town 300-i, and a Super 8, 150.
Does anyone know if there are Iridium plugs available for these models?
I know the X-Town is currently using an NGK, DPR6EA-9, but I can;t seem to find any cross reference to an iridium?
Thanks in advance.

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Spark Plugs?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
Look under fuel requiremments-----I posted my plug experience with 10 new maxiscooters and over 400,000 miles with them.   Bottom line: save your money and do not worry.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »
Au contraire (respectfully)...…...at least on my Kymco and Piaggio, I have found that the Iridium plug is worth every bit of its $7 for the way it strengthened and smoothed the idle on both my scooters. The effect was immediate and noticeable on these 163 and 155 cc fuel injected engines.

There were a couple of NGK's that I could not find Iridiums for (Honda and a Suzuki).

The NGK site shows nothing? How about the Denso site?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ccemn1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »
I have to agree with Stig.
I've been riding & racing for 50 years. Used to use platinum plugs before the iridium's came out, but have Iridium's in every motorized vehicle I use today, and swear by them.
Just having a tough time finding the right one for the X-Town 300-i.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »
I don't know whether there's a benefit, but I think the Reddit thread might be confused? Copper is a better conductor than iridium, but the bigger problem is the conductivity of air. I think I heard the smaller iridium electrode is supposed to help with that.

ccemn1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 11:05:53 PM »
Iridium plugs act like a hot plug when the engine is cold and a cold plug when the engine is hot. As a result, you get better combustion, not better MPG, and they will last over 100,000 miles.
Literally a once in a lifetime operation.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 03:07:57 AM »
Iridium plugs act like a hot plug when the engine is cold and a cold plug when the engine is hot. As a result, you get better combustion, not better MPG, and they will last over 100,000 miles.
Literally a once in a lifetime operation.
Read on the NGK site to expect 40,000 mile life with their Iridium plugs in motorcycles (& scooters). Long time!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
According to se several sources of info on the web irridium plugs need less Voltage than ordinary plugs to produce a powerful spark at the plugs.
As far as scooters are concerned, I think this is a major advantage, specially because the batteries on our scooters are small and do not have high Amps/Hour storage capacity. Recent reports at this forum indicated that cases where batteries were on it’s way out, scooters with DC CDI’s battled to start, or failed to start completely.
In theory this obviosly means if Iridium plugs were fitted to those scooters which has starting problems before batteries were changed, the engines would probably start without problems. Maybe somebody must just try an Iridium plug while a scooter’s battery is on it’s way out in future, and see what happens.

In short - I think on scooters Irridium plugs could cause less “down time”, more reliability,  less frustration, and even add a little extra power to the engines.

https://oards.com/iridium-vs-platinum-spark-plugs-info/

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:29:44 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »
All I know about Iridium plugs is - when sitting first in line at a stop light about to go green on my small scooter at a 12 lane intersection -- I very much want to feel a nice smooth and strong idle under my butt!
Worth every bit of that $7. It is all I need to know.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 04:40:40 PM »
 ;)
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ccemn1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 01:35:39 PM »
STILL desperately trying to find an iridium plug that applies to my 2018 X-Town 300-i.
Are there any mechanics, or parts guys out there, who might be able to point me in the right direction?
I can't seem to find any cross reference, but my computer skills are poor at best.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
STILL desperately trying to find an iridium plug that applies to my 2018 X-Town 300-i.
Are there any mechanics, or parts guys out there, who might be able to point me in the right direction?
I can't seem to find any cross reference, but my computer skills are poor at best.
Well, don't get too upset about your search skills.
Of the 4 scooters I've owned, they only made an Iridium plug for 3 of them. Both Denso and NGK home pages confirmed this ......so I quit looking.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »
 One of the major advantages of the iridium plug is the fact that you don't need to replace every 3-4,000 miles. This preserves the fragile aluminum threads in the head.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 04:58:34 PM »
Replace plugs every 3--4000 miles??  Not in my world.   OEM plugs in my last 2 new Honda SilverWings still in there at near 50,000 miles on each bike.   My 2017 Honda CB300F has 18,000 miles with original plug.

Plugs should be run in with NeverSeize----easy to get out and no thread damage.

My Xtown 300i should make 40-50,000 miles on OEM plug----my belief is do not monkey with them, just ride.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()