Author Topic: What I really meant was...  (Read 325 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
What I really meant was...
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »
Yesterday while driving my mother and sister home from an activity , she mentioned a man who drove across country on his motorcycle. I then mentioned some recent comments from this group. She then said “you still communicate with those guys?” I know that what she REALLY MEANT WAS “I hope you’re not thinking about buying another scooter after what happened two years ago. I just got to where I can smile when you joke about your amputation . Please don’t scare me 1/2 to death. “ Yep, that’s what that “innocent “ question meant. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: What I really meant was...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:50:35 PM »
"What's wrong, honey?" Bad question, improperly phrased and always responded with "Nothing." It is never "nothing" and is always some terrible trasgression that is YOUR FAULT and she will never, EVER tell youbexactly what it is. Makes no difference which "honey" woman it is: wife, mother, girlfriend...
It is a secret code that men can only guess. Forbes, don't forget Doug Bader of the WWII Royal Air Force. Google him, they will tell it better than I and you will "get it" instantly.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:19:08 AM »
Yep. Last summer my sister persuaded me to help her drive on a long trip instead of going by myself as I often do. I spent from Tuesday to Sunday with my then 86 year old Mother and two of my sisters (age 63 and 61) . They would get into conflict with each other. But guess who was ALWAYS wrong? Yep. Me. Their 54 year old clueless baby bother. Thankfully, next year the event is only 250 miles away. She can do that drive by herself. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:52:59 AM »
Mr Forbes,
This is a hard one for me.
Coming up on 4 yrs since I lost a child in a road accident - so I can sympathize with your mother who feels she almost lost you in a road accident.
It is a tough situation.
I know you understand the depth of her concern for you - while we all share your love of riding.

I will offer this:
I ride ATGATT....and I purposely ride almost exclusively in a low traffic time of the day. Day break traffic is nearly nonexistent on my route.
As such, I can focus on my bike, my skills and my judgment to get me out and back home.

Maybe some form of such a compromise would ease your family's anxiety -- if you ever chose to ride again?

I get in a nice hour or two of riding several days each week this way. Plus, sunrise rides are a treat in themselves!

Anyway. ....
We know they wouldn't fuss if they didn't care. And I've several years on you - yet my mother rarely fails to mention my youthful felonies to my children at dinner during our yearly visits.

Glad you're still an active member of this gang!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:16:01 AM »
Mr Forbes,
This is a hard one for me.
Coming up on 4 yrs since I lost a child in a road accident - so I can sympathize with your mother who feels she almost lost you in a road accident.
It is a tough situation.
I know you understand the depth of her concern for you - while we all share your love of riding.

I will offer this:
I ride ATGATT....and I purposely ride almost exclusively in a low traffic time of the day. Day break traffic is nearly nonexistent on my route.
As such, I can focus on my bike, my skills and my judgment to get me out and back home.

Maybe some form of such a compromise would ease your family's anxiety -- if you ever chose to ride again?

I get in a nice hour or two of riding several days each week this way. Plus, sunrise rides are a treat in themselves!

Anyway. ....
We know they wouldn't fuss if they didn't care. And I've several years on you - yet my mother rarely fails to mention my youthful felonies to my children at dinner during our yearly visits.

Glad you're still an active member of this gang!

Stig
Wow! I was unaware of your loss. That still has to be tough. I do fully understand my mother and sister as well as my oldest brother because they were with me the entire time of my recovery. In fact, my sister was the FIRST in my family to see me after the accident. And my oldest brother. Well... he’s my oldest brother,  (67) and I have no doubt he would literally have traded places with me if he could’ve. I honestly believe my MOTHER would give in before either of those two. Also family pecking order comes into play. I remember when Hurricane Michael came through, those two had The remaining 4 out of town siblings ordering their “little brother “ to leave the house when it appeared I was taking too long.
Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()