Author Topic: London police ramming "moped bandits"  (Read 607 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
London police ramming "moped bandits"
« on: November 24, 2018, 12:36:33 AM »
Wondered what the feeling is of forum members for this method of handling the increasing number of crimes committed by scooter riding bandits in the London, and other large cities in the U.K.?

Specially trained police units follow and, when safe, ram the scooter bandits, knocking them off the scooters. Since they all seem to be wearing helmets (to avoid later identification?)  they likely get little more than skinned up.

Must have been a real shock to them the first few times the police resorted to this.

A sad situation, which happens to invlovle our hobby.

Nothing going on here......

Stig

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:43:43 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: London police ramming "moped bandits"
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »
It’s sad that folks steal. But I honestly like what the police are doing, especially since it doesn’t cause excessive harm. However, my hope would be for them to get rammed in front of someone who knows them so they’ll be totally embarrassed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 01:29:52 AM »
Sounds like they aren't all wearing helmets. And even if they were, it wouldn't preclude them from injury.

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm quite wary about normalizing the police being violent. On the other hand, it sounds likely they're responding to violent crimes -- mugging. If it's non-violent theft, it's certainly unjustified.

Here's a video, with a comment section full of horrible people:

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 02:12:03 AM »
What is not mentioned is that there has been a policy to let scooters off due to the unsafe nature of the pursuit.
So scooters have become more commonly used by criminals to commit their deeds over the years knowing they get off scott free.
There have been muggings, stealing of others bikes/scooters, and even murders that have been allowed to flee.
So the crimes had escalated out of control. Now that the upper class citizenry have suffered with no recourse,
law enforcement is becoming policy again. Though it is a bit extreme, it is working.
I've not seen it yet, but it just a matter of time before innocents are hurt. This will cause the policy to be rescinded (again).
London statistics say there were almost 20,000 reported crimes on scooters for 2017 from Jan-Oct.
Implementation of this policy has dropped the statistics by 44% for 2018.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/gotcha-dramatic-footage-reveals-met-polices-new-hardline-war-on-londons-violent-moped-gangs-a3998141.html?fbclid=IwAR0cVuKtaNELpyvfJ18SzGn8Qf76L5LX6XJ4y664hnUlaXllFJQGhCnAZN0

mcdcfc3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 07:39:50 AM »
Living here in the UK, I fully support the action being taken. These thieves have no conscience and are making the lives of law abiding citizens a misery. Unlike the US our police officers are not armed. This is long overdue

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »
 Quote from hypothalmus: Here's a video, with a comment section full of horrible people: 

Hypothalmus, you have to realize that Britain is invaded by 10's of thousands third-world heathens bent on havoc. Most of these "refugees" are wild and out of control terrorizing the innocent population. They are very street-smart and work the system to their advantage. Further, there is a generally peaceful population that has been disarmed and disenfranchised by their own government. The angry outbursts are evidence of the populace frustration.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »
Finally. FINALY the British police get some teeth. Ram 'em all. And then reverse back over the twitching corpse just to make sure.

The only connection they have with law abiding scooter riders is the bike. But even then theirs is probably nicked.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 12:36:07 AM »
I’ll just say this. Most situations aren’t simply black and white. There are often nuisances between the extremes. There’s a BALANCE between over the top police tactics and letting the criminals take over. My personal feelings is that this CAN be a valid law enforcement tactic in some cases because folk should not be able to commit crimes (large or small) with impunity . But I also see a potential for abuse by law enforcement where the enforcement tactics well exceed the crime being committed.

2009 Xciting 250

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »
There's been big problems in the UK with motorcycles/moped becoming the vehicle of choice for robbery and muggings. This has been facilitated in no small part by the fact that our Police have always struggled to pursue them with cars, though we do have effective motorcycle Police who just push them off, and have done for years.

We don't worry so much about our Police going too far in this country - they're quite restrained compared to other countries and we largely trust them.

It's a good thing. After a couple of years of knocking them off, the message will get through that bikes are no longer an untouchable tool, as it hurts the image of all of us riding them.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
There's been big problems in the UK with motorcycles/moped becoming the vehicle of choice for robbery and muggings. This has been facilitated in no small part by the fact that our Police have always struggled to pursue them with cars, though we do have effective motorcycle Police who just push them off, and have done for years.

We don't worry so much about our Police going too far in this country - they're quite restrained compared to other countries and we largely trust them.

It's a good thing. After a couple of years of knocking them off, the message will get through that bikes are no longer an untouchable tool, as it hurts the image of all of us riding them.

Well said, Viper. Unarmed police have to do something to get the message across to these jerks. This is a very good and reasonable solution.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 11:54:10 PM »

I guess knowing the country and traditions give clarity to this subject. Also, the ability to trust law enforcement to act with proper restraint goes a long way. I wouldn’t trust our police to use the same method without abusing it. Others may feel differently.

2009 Xciting 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 08:47:06 PM »
I think this is a sensible tactic that will hopefully deter the number of crimes committed.   

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 07:48:22 PM »
Some of these thieves have been throwing acid on scooter riders and then attempting to steal their scooters.  This is more than just theft and needs to be stopped.

Interesting story of an attempted scooter-jacking here in the USA.  I like the way this one was handled:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/attempted-scooter-jacking.1352935/
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
Some of these thieves have been throwing acid on scooter riders and then attempting to steal their scooters.  This is more than just theft and needs to be stopped.

Interesting story of an attempted scooter-jacking here in the USA.  I like the way this one was handled:  https://advrider.com/f/threads/attempted-scooter-jacking.1352935/
;D
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()