Author Topic: How do you deal with driving at night?  (Read 1176 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
How do you deal with driving at night?
« on: November 19, 2018, 04:27:55 PM »
Particularly out in the country with no street lamps.

Thankfully I've mostly been able to avoid it, but occasionally I have to.

If it's late enough or remote enough that there's practically no traffic, it's fine. But every time there's oncoming traffic, I'm mostly blinded. I deal it with by slowing way down until I can see again, but it's just constant and extremely stressful. Meanwhile, it seems like the other vehicles drive as fast as ever, and I can tell that I'm holding them up.

Part of the problem I think is the hills out here, causing the headlights to be pointed at your face sometimes. A huge problem is the epidemic of poorly designed retrofit bulbs scattering light randomly.

How do you deal with this? Is there just something wrong with my eyes?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with driving at night?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with your eyes unless mine are defective as well. I avoid it especially after I got caught out last year on the DT300i. Lighting was not properly aimed and too little of what was there. That experience led me to try LED replacements which was a disappointment. LED may get better soon since most of the charletons selling them are getting crabbed at by old grumps like me! Avoid it at all costs!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 02:02:01 AM »
Well, yeah there could be an issue with your eyes - depending on your age....as the lens begins to fog over a bit. Ask your eye doc. to have a look if it's been awhile.

Most folks know that I ride before sunrise - pretty much every ride for years now. Several times a week. Coming home is in the daylight - going out is in the dark.

My foremost thoughts for night riding in the boonies:

Slow down. (savor the ride....the smells, air temp., engine noises, etc.)
Ride known routes. (surprises when blinded by on-coming cars not good. I know where the road is, even if I can't see it for a few seconds.)
Ride in tire tracks. ( road kill is usually in the center of the lane - esp. important while being blinded by cars)
Think about the weather in the past 12 hours (is the road frozen, branches down from high winds?)
Catalog in your head where you've found issues (deer, wet leaves, gravel, sand - need to know before you get there!)

Also, I know good areas to let following cars pass me in the dark - and will wave them through. They appreciate it and will remember you if you're sharing similar ride times.

Adjust the aim of your headlight. Both Burgman lights were aimed too low. I adjusted the R light higher still, to spot the road edge.
Buy scoot's with twin full-time low beam headlights if possible. (great lighting on the Forza and Burgman - both with two light DRL's.)

Failing that - check the wattage of the scooter before buying. The 60/55W light on my Piaggio 150i is amazing - compared to my 35/35W LIKE200i.

Stig
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 02:08:39 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:03:34 AM »
I have always struggled with night riding as well. I always take the quieter roads to reduce the amount of headlights that are coming at me straight on.

If I can ride with the visor up that's much better, but that's only possible for a small bit of the year.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:44:45 AM »
It turns out that my problem was that every time I've been stuck driving at night, it's been in my minivan.

Tonight was the first that I've driven any real distance (not just in town) on my motorcycle in the dark... and it really wasn't bad at all. In fact, I dare say it was enjoyable.

Not sure if it's because the headlight is so much more effective, or my visor is clearer than my windshield, or because I'm much more comfortable on two wheels. Probably some combination of all of those.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
A clear visor makes all the difference when there's glare!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
Next birthday 80---riding everyday and at nite since 1955----had catarack (sp?) removed---vision now 20/20. Never have lost nite vision due to age.

I find looking thru face shield/glasses at nite not so good, so do not look into headlites of on coming, look to side of road, face shield up, glasses at least clean----slow down if in doubt.

Doubt if fancy lites/ more powerfull bulbs do much----think best would be low mounted lite pointing at right side of road might work, making sure it does not bother on coming.

Scary in US---many roads do not have bright white lines marking edge.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
One more thing----if you have windshield and looking thru it....you are asking for trouble.   looking over much safer period....if you want to see what you might hit.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()