Author Topic: Too slow after a full service and variator belt change  (Read 2057 times)

naisam

• View Profile
Too slow after a full service and variator belt change
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:59:30 AM »
Feeling very upset after a full service
My Like 50, 2017 model, mileage is 6700 km. I took it for a full service and the guy said, if I want to derestrict it, and I said yes. He called me after a while and said, that it is already derestricted (I have no idea if it was done before) but the variator belt is worn out and need to change. I agreed, and he said a original kymco belt is replaced. Now when I move from the red lights or in a roundabout or anytime moving the scooter from idle, it's almost like 5 kmph for the next few secs. Even in the flat surface, I was doing between 50-60kmph before service, now it struggles to do 40. In one of the daily uphill, where I go 20 kmph, today it didn't move, and I had to get down and push it.

I was expecting it to behave little better after a service, but has let me down. I will take it back to the guy and check. But just wondering if anyone know what could have gone wrong ?

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Too slow after a full service and variator belt change
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »
Hi Naisam,

It sounds a lot like worn variator rollers to me - struggling to pull away and to kick back the gearing down hills.

Really cheap part to replace. About $20 tops for a good set.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

naisam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »
Hi Viper254,
Thanks for your response.
If it was a worn out roller, will it give trouble only after changing the variator belt ?, because it was smooth until I dropped for service.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
Hi Viper254,
Thanks for your response.
If it was a worn out roller, will it give trouble only after changing the variator belt ?, because it was smooth until I dropped for service.

Perhaps everything has been disturbed. Or they fitted a wrong-sized belt...

EDIT: you have to take all the rollers out when you change the belt, generally. If they were all taken out and put back in, the flats on the rollers could well be accentuated. Have they been changed whilst you've had the bike? How many miles is the bike on?
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »
(+2×6) on belt too long....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

naisam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »

EDIT: you have to take all the rollers out when you change the belt, generally. If they were all taken out and put back in, the flats on the rollers could well be accentuated. Have they been changed whilst you've had the bike? How many miles is the bike on?
No, never changed the rollers. The scooter is on  6700km (4160 miles).

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 07:48:49 AM »
It's a bit early for the rollers to be worn out, though not impossible.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

naisam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »

You are very much right. He fitted the wrong size belt. The belt was rubbing against the wall, and upon checking he found that it was the wrong size. The scooter was back to normal. Was running fine for 2-3 days.
Then it started slowing down during uphill, mainly felt like it was about to stop and like on and off. I also noticed the speed at flat and downhill was little high than before and not much engine sound. At one stage it slowed down very much in uphill and that happened closer to the same mechanic place. The carburettor cover (the rubber like thing) was hanging, he also adjusted the carburettor a little saying too much air might be flowing and had increased the petrol flow a little. It is running better but not like how it was before I gave for service and changed the belt. May be the carburettor needs a little bit more adjustment, but he is not interested in adjusting anymore saying it could kill the engine.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:21:34 PM by naisam »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 09:41:12 PM »
Sounds like you need to find a different "mechanic."
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()