Author Topic: Speedo Error on the 2018 UXV700i LE  (Read 1029 times)

Heck

• View Profile
Speedo Error on the 2018 UXV700i LE
« on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:15 AM »
When I'm riding the UXV, I look at the speedometer and it shows a whopping 50mph  (not kph)....Sure doesnt feel like Im going that fast so I clocked it with a GPS....
At 40mph on the speedometer, I'm reading 35mph on the GPS.   At 50mph, Im reading 38mph... This shows that not only is the speedometer reading fast, (Read also putting mileage on the machine at an accelerated rate) but the degree of error changes with the different speeds... Calculation wise it reads 26% fast at 50mph(on Speedo) and 20% fast at 40mph (on Speedo). So, the question for the group is, How does one make the Speedo more accurate on these machines..... I have read all kinds of solutions- the most hilarious one I read was to go down to a sign shop and have them make little decals to change the numbers on a manual speedo....This one of course is digital..   I'm more interested in making the odometer more accurate as since they want you to do service work of some kind every 500 miles, it makes a lot of sense to at least get 500 miles between the service points- not an inflated mileage age...

So I spoke with the dealer, who contacted Kymco-USA...  I guess there was some back and forth between them, as the dealer decided to try another 700i LE that he had on the lot. Everything the same as mine, with the same speedo error results. We checked speedo speed with my GPS and also with the GPS feature on one of the mechanic's smart phone. The smart phone and my GPS matched perfectly. The speedo in the Kymco, not so much. ..... My dealer is going to investigate further with Kymco USA, as it seems that the error is almost exactly the same on all the units.  Looks like Kymco has a design problem. It will be interesting to see if they want to own it, or ignore it.....   

So it's been a few weeks and I have not heard from Kymco USA or from the dealer on this.........Guess its about time for ProActive Heck to make an unscheduled appearance....

Anybody else noticed this?  Any luck on resolution?

Kymco 2018 UXV 700i LE

Brad

• View Profile
Re: Speedo Error on the 2018 UXV700i LE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 07:52:14 AM »
you know now that you mention it mine doesn't seem that fast either. I will have to check it out

Brad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
Ok I checked out mine and you are right. The best I could get out of mine was 49 mph

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
Those cheap Speedos use a calibration based on tire circumference. The program needs to be modified similar to a bicycle speedo. See if your dealer has a plug in reprogrammed for the electrical system. With some research and time I will bet you will find a program for tire circumference. Then so your math. Good luck and let us know what you find.  Factory should be willing to help!

Heck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:10:48 PM »
Thanks all- at least I wasnt having a mental malfunction....I will call the distributor this afternoon......
Kymco 2018 UXV 700i LE

Heck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 02:43:02 AM »
So I didnt get to the phone in time- darn time zone differences...Anyhoo I was thinking that the speedo might be off but the odometer would be right....Wrong!!
Speedo and Odometer error are right in line with each other.. Up to 25% off on the high end. Sounds like a heck of a way to make extra service dept money. With an average 20% error, the Service intervals in the owners manual instead of being 500 miles for most fluid changes etc are actually every 400 miles.... Would certainly like to see Kymco take ownership of this and come up with a solution.....Thinking the cost of doing business (ie maintenance intervals) is pretty excessive. I'm sure that the US Distributor at least occasionally looks at this forum.......How about doing the right thing and offering up a solution???  Hmmm???
Kymco 2018 UXV 700i LE

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 12:16:32 AM »
You can call the US factory yourself and see what they say. Back when I had a shift problem, they were very helpfull. I know it is the tire circumference calculation, how to change it is the question. There is a little magnet on the crank or output shaft that makes a measurement each time it goes around, on my 450 the sensor is right beside the oil dipstick. The program needs to be changed in the computor to get the correct tire circumference

Heck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 02:49:45 AM »
Hey Airshot- we are referring to the KymcoUSA in South Carolina right?
Kymco 2018 UXV 700i LE

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 04:29:49 AM »
Yes, Kymco USA in SC. Nice lady on the phone will put you in touch with your regional rep. You and he can then discuss about your dealer not taking action on this.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()