Author Topic: GY6 motor  (Read 3303 times)

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
GY6 motor
« on: October 16, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
So....I have seen lots of parts for the GY6 engine and sometimes I see "Kymco 150" mixed in with the ads for parts.  I have a 2009 Kymco People 150....does it have a GY6 motor?  I see GY6 on the oil drain plug but when I looked at the side of the crankcase I saw this number BA30 *2500832*.

And DC or AC...what's all that about?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: GY6 motor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:58:33 PM »
AC or DC CDI and/or headlight.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:51:17 PM »
So Karl....is it DC for my scooter?  After searching online for parts, it appears the AC CDIs are much smaller than the DC CDIs.  Mine is the size of a cigarette pack.  And after Googling CDI....here's an explanation:

"Most ignition systems used in cars are inductive discharge ignition (IDI) systems, which are solely relying on the electric inductance at the coil to produce high-voltage electricity to the spark plugs as the magnetic field collapses when the current to the primary coil winding is disconnected (disruptive discharge). In a CDI system, a charging circuit charges a high voltage capacitor, and at the instant of ignition the system stops charging the capacitor, allowing the capacitor to discharge its output to the ignition coil before reaching the spark plug."

So I am guessing that maybe my CDI ain't charging up like it should be.

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:42:31 PM »
Well...after a lot of Googling and reading the owner's manual...it is a DC CDI.  Now I can order parts.

And Scootertronics is telling me it is a GY6 engine that's in the scooter.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
It's a GY6, but GY6 covers all manners of sins, including different cam chain lengths, different valve lengths and different belt drive lengths. There's a good likelihood that stuff fits, but it's far from a given.

Often with AC/DC CDIs, a giveaway can be the main lights - lights that run without the engine often mean a DC CDI and lights that stop when the engine stops often mean an AC CDI.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
Some parts from generic GY6 engines do fit on Kymco, but from my experience you can't know if it will work the way it should until you actually put in on.

I had to change the vacuum membrane on my Agility City 125, bought a GY6 membrane, and it did fit, but the trottle response was not good. Had to buy original Kymco for it to work properly.

Same thing with the R/R.
It had all the right color wires on the right places, looked the same as the original, but as soon as I connected it all the lights turned on without the key in the ignition!
Sent it back and got a refund from the seller that had Agility City on the list of scooters it should work on.
Bought original Kymco and it works.

Kymco parts are waaay more expensive then GY6 parts
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 07:58:39 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
Well....I checked the scooter last night after watching lots of CDI videos on YouTube (at work no less).  Several mentioned the headlight coming on means that it is a DC CDI.  Well...when I turned the key to "On"....no headlight.  The headlight only came on when I turned started the scoot.  Sigh. 

The owner's manual does say it is a DC CDI and when I did a search for the part number, it came back as a DC CDI.  I'll go out and pull the front cover off and check the number of wires going to the two wire plug.

This ain't easy....but I am learning a lot.  I'm a VW Vanagon owner...4 of them.  And they are so easy to get parts for....and lots of forum posts that discuss everything under the sun related to Vanagons. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()