Author Topic: Starting Problem  (Read 1577 times)

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
Starting Problem
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:02:42 PM »
I was the proud owner of a 2009 Kymco People 150 but then it died on the road.  It was a good deal...found it on Craigslist...1900 miles on the odometer, and going for $850.  The owner dropped it, I think twice, and decided that at his and his wife's age, it might be better to cut their losses and sell it.  His loss, my gain.  When I told him I'd buy it, he dropped the price to $825 for just showing up.

Anyway...I was tooling down the road, when it slowly died.  And it was a slow death.  It wouldn't start...at all.  Thought I killed the battery after trying to start it for so long so I turned around and started pushing it home.  I tried to start it again and Voila, it did!  I hopped back on and hurried home.  But it wouldn't start after that...well, once. 

Yesterday, I checked the fuel petcock with a vacuum tool and it worked, so gas was getting out of the tank.  I checked the spark plug and it was wet and smelled like gas...so gas was getting to the plug.  I cleaned it up and reinstalled it.  Still no start. 

This morning I pulled off the front cover to look at the CDI since I started thinking this might be electrical and not fuel related.  I found the CDI and tried to unplug it to test for the ohms like the service manual said...CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO REMOVE THE FRICKIN' PLUGS FROM THE CDI?????  Holy crap!   :'(

So I farted with the CDI plugs for awhile and thought well, heck, let's see if it will start....and by George, it started.  Every time.  I'll try again tomorrow.

But can anyone tell me how or show me with pics how to get those plugs undone before I wreck it with pliers and other tools?

Thanks!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 01:22:41 PM »
You really have to study those plugs under a song light! There are positive locks on every plug. You have to release each lock as you are trying to pull them apart. It is either a finger pressure or small screwdriver required. Use some silicone dielectric grease on the pins when you get them apart. Make sure you open the gas cap the next time it quits. Your vacuum vent valve may be sticking.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
Thanks for answering up!  I did undo the fuel cap...several times.  Still no start.  But I was trying to find the holes to allow air pressure in...I saw the hole in the center of the diaphragm (not sure what to call that soft rubbery thingy in the cap) but couldn't find any other holes.  I had that happen on my 1982 Honda Silverwing motorcycle....there I was....in the middle of hot July, south of Bakersfield on Hwy 99....when my Honda quit on me.  It quit on me on Hwy 101 in Oregon...when I discovered that my tank bag was way too heavy on the gas cap.  No problems after that.   :)

I am thinking of buying a new CDI....just 'cos....and to Easter egg the problem.  I can study both under a strong light.  Why is this scooter sooooo hard to take apart?  I'm afraid of breaking things (which I have done already)!   :o

I'll be going out this morning to see if it starts up...I am hoping squeezing and pulling and pushing on the CDI connectors might have fixed it.  But I don't trust it much anymore.   :'(

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:02:49 PM by fyrgrrl »

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
Ooops....one more question about the CDI connector.  Is it one connector or two?  That could help me in figuring it out.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »
First, since it occurred to me AFTER posting, electrical gremlins are usually "right now" whether total or intermittent. Fading out is usually a heat or pressure related problem/cause. Not starting could be related but many of these have spark plug cap issues like not being fully on the plug top with metal-to-metal contact. You will be investigating to eliminate the things that are NOT the cause!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:06:56 PM »
After watching numerous YouTube videos I finally found a clear view of the connectors (well sort of).  So I copied the pic and here it is.  Gonna go see if this pic helps me out.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 01:41:50 AM »
Something does not look right in that picture....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
Oh...he was hookin' up one of them "high performance" CDIs.  That pic helped me a lot...I did stick myself with the screwdriver but both connectors came out.  Awesome!

Here's my pic of the connector.

fyrgrrl

• 2009 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 07:45:06 PM »
Is this a manufacture date on this CDI?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()