Author Topic: Front diff issues  (Read 583 times)

jasonrbitt

• View Profile
Front diff issues
« on: October 07, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
Hey guys,

So I’m having some issues with the front diff on the 450 and was wondering if anyone else had any.  Mine was fixed under warranty once.  I thought it had broke the spring inside but it broke a peice of metal that engages the 4x4. I just took it out on a muddy trip and noticed it’s intermittently working.   When it does catch it makes some pretty loud noises then stays engaged for a while but won’t stay in full lock. 

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Front diff issues
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »
If it has anything at all to do with your original problem then factory should fix it again!  To answer your question , I have had no issues in 3 yrs and 800 miles

jasonrbitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 11:21:27 PM »
Can anyone tell me which side is which for the front axles.  One has a blue sticker and the other has a red.  I read on a prowler from if the axles are reversed then the lock won’t work. 

jasonrbitt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 11:42:46 PM »
Never mind. It axles says right and left hand on the axle. 

jasonrbitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 01:23:35 AM »
Since I have tried to call kymco for the last week and a half with no returned call I decided to tear it down myself.  I found that the clip on the end of the axle was gone.  This allows the axle to push off the gear for the lock.  I got paranoid and thought maybe it broke and fell inside the diff so I tore the diff out and broke it open.  I did not find the clip so this tells me the dealer did not put it on the axle when they did the previous work. 

They would not help me since they dropped the kymco line... Wanyesburg Yamaha in Pa.

Just wanted to share incase someone has a problem like this in the future.   

jasonrbitt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
Just for everyone’s info.  A rep from Kymco did call back.  Just wanted to shoot that out there so noone doubts their customer service.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 01:45:00 AM »
Sometimes it takes a while since the regional guys have a lot of dealer complaints! Dealer tech forgot to put the clip in, huh? Imagine that!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()