Author Topic: Max safe cruising RPM extended time  (Read 924 times)

TD2593

• View Profile
Max safe cruising RPM extended time
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:21:57 AM »
Just got a 500RI. It only have 3100 miles. What is the max rpm for cruising for extended time ? Is it safe to cruise 60 mph for long runs ?

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
Re: Max safe cruising RPM extended time
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 12:23:05 AM »
Just got a 500RI. It only have 3100 miles. What is the max rpm for cruising for extended time ? Is it safe to cruise 60 mph for long runs ?
It should be absolutely fine for 60mph long runs, that’s what it’s meant for right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:11 AM »
It should be. I had no problem cruising at 60 mph for 45 mile stretches even on my Xciting 250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

carjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
Hey, it's John here from the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles and new to the group.

I've got the same bike 2013 model and been wondering about this as well. What about cruising around 75 mph? Tach is just touching the red. Is there a rule of thumb for how long to keep up higher RPMs before serious wear kicks in? Just hit my 4000 mile service/oil changes and engine oil wasn't too dirty.

I ride the LA freeway everyday and routinely hit 80 & sometimes up to 90 to get out ahead of traffic or pass. Even in 80's I've never noticed the Tach higher than 8500. Only keep it there briefly and then back off to my 70-75 cruising speed- Tach just at or under the red.

Commute is pretty short- like 10 min on FWY. Rest of the time just street speeds.

In my mind, this should be ok and I think the bike is made for this kind of speed/rpm, but I've been wrong before as my ex loves to remind me.

Thanks for your feedback.
2013 Xciting 500RI

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »
Hey, it's John here from the San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles and new to the group.

I've got the same bike 2013 model and been wondering about this as well. What about cruising around 75 mph? Tach is just touching the red. Is there a rule of thumb for how long to keep up higher RPMs before serious wear kicks in? Just hit my 4000 mile service/oil changes and engine oil wasn't too dirty.

I ride the LA freeway everyday and routinely hit 80 & sometimes up to 90 to get out ahead of traffic or pass. Even in 80's I've never noticed the Tach higher than 8500. Only keep it there briefly and then back off to my 70-75 cruising speed- Tach just at or under the red.

Commute is pretty short- like 10 min on FWY. Rest of the time just street speeds.

In my mind, this should be ok and I think the bike is made for this kind of speed/rpm, but I've been wrong before as my ex loves to remind me.

From the people I’ve met that routinely hug the redline, they just say spend a bit more on nicer oil. And some of those bikes had 30k+ on them, so I believe them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:52 PM »

Welcome carjo !

Yeah, a 500 can run at freeway speeds, or something is really wrong!
But, if it blows up - don't mention it on FB.
Again, welcome!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
I have ridden my 2007 xciting cross country twice at 75 MPH. Longest day 1,004 miles. Over 70,000 miles now with zero issues. Ride it like a Gold Wing dude. You can't hurt them. :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()