Author Topic: Led vs halogen headlight  (Read 1596 times)

gctkaz

• View Profile
Re: Led vs halogen headlight
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 02:03:03 AM »
And here are the before/after comparisons of that bulb, vs the standard halogen H4:

The price was in the ballpark of USD$30 shipped to Canada, so I felt I got good value out of this upgrade.

The ones you should be looking for with proper cutoff will be the ones with the solid, passive heatsinks, or the flexible fin heatsinks. I have the newer solid ones in my bikes, my wife's car, and my dad's car high beams, and the flexible ones in my dad's car low beams. All of them have good cutoff.

These are the updated version. A little pricier, but why wouldn't you want the brightest one? And they come in pairs, so you can split the cost with a friend.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:10:32 AM by gctkaz »

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 04:28:08 AM »
And for those of us with two headlights, that isn't too bad of a price.

The best price for the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE I've found locally was $46.95 and the best price online is $36 so that's a little savings.

My question is, what kind of reliability have you had so far?

The last time I tried an LED light, it lasted about a month before something gave out and only one side of one of the LEDs would light up. That's what I get for ordering bulbs from DHGate. They were only about $18 for the pair, but they took four weeks to get here, and only lasted about that long.

It was hell the ruggedest mile to change those bulbs without taking the whole front of the bike off (the PCX), and it doesn't seem that much easier on Diana. I know I can reach up underneath from the tire-well, but my hands aren't small enough to reach up in there very well. I can get fingertips on the back of the bulb, but not enough to get a grip. Therefore, I'd rather not have to change them all the time. 

Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

gctkaz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 05:52:01 AM »
I can't say I ride too often, so each of the bikes only has a few hundred kms on the LED headlights. But they are holding up fine and the longest ride I've been on had the bike running for about 4 sessions of 2 hours or so.

I took my Super 9 out two nights ago on an unlit twisty forest park road, and while the beam pattern is great on my other bikes, there's a bit of a dead spot right in the middle of the low beam with the Super 9. It's OK and the beam is wide, just not even. High beam is still pretty good.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()