Author Topic: Another silly oil question...  (Read 2382 times)

YagerMeister

• View Profile
Another silly oil question...
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:11:53 AM »
I have quite a bit of experience with motorcycles/scooters and cars (I run an auto repair shop)... why is it that a lot of folks on the forum recommend only using dino (non-synthetic) in a Kymco until it's broken in?  Modern synthetics will expand seals and seat rings just as well as anything else out there, and I have run synthetics or synthetic blends in every bike I've had from the first oil change.  Is there something unusual about a Kymco?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Another silly oil question...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:24:34 AM »
..kymco makes a tight engine..they last a long time...

...dunno if that's unusual or not...

..i really dunno...

???

..hell, i didn't switch to synthetic until after @ 30,000 km on my A50...

..been Royal Purple for the last 20,000 kms, and my scoot performs better now than it ever has...

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

art

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 04:41:01 AM »
 Supposedly synthetics works to well in the beginning. It take to long to get your wear in and some cylinders  just never seat if you break in with a synthetic. So best to use something else in the beginning cheap and change often.  It would be a little costly to swap a synth at the first 200 and 500 miles.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »
What I have heard is you run Dino for  the first 600 miles or so as you WANT the friction allowed by the dino-oil to settle the rings and cylinders and then use the synthetic as there is basically no wear with the synthetic. As i understand it, the logic is that with the synthetic  doesn't allow the needed wear for the new engine, the cylinders are not honed and the rings don't mate as well to the cylinder walls. You basically end up with a loose engine and the performance is lower.

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 01:40:59 PM »
My first 1000 miles was with whatever the dealer puts in them when new.  Next 3000 miles was whatever the dealer put in it on first service.  After that I changed it myself and used synthetic.  My 09 Xciting runs really strong and seems to get better and better. 

I have read that synthetic oils do not make good break in oil due to their superior lubricating properties.  It would take longer to break in an engine.  However, this may be negated by the better engine parts matching you get with the newer engines.  I will have to remember to ask my dealer what they put in, to satisfy my curiosity now that the subject has come up.

Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »
Oh, the oil discussion happens here too.
Use dino oil for first 1000 miles.  Use synthetic or dino after that.
Changing the oil and filter is the big thing.
Us ethe recommended oil if you are worried.

mettyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 02:07:40 AM »
As far as price that seems a bit high. I bought an S250 08 model with 58 miles on it for 2300.00 this past Feb. The PO was scared of it I think. Was very happy with that deal. Since it was a couple years old first thing I did was change oil and gear oil. 1K miles now and loving it. Went from a Daelim 250 to the People and I do like the way the people sits compared to the Daelim. Keep looking around or the owner needs to come way down. Metty

heypete

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:48:20 PM »
According to ExxonMobil, you can use synthetic oil at any time. Indeed, many cars (they have a list on their site) come with synthetic oil from the factory.

Synthetic oil has various advantages over conventional oil, but it's not some magical elixir with incredibly esoteric properties -- it meets the same specs as conventional.

Feel free to use either with confidence. I suspect that there'd be no issues whatsoever with using synthetic oil from the beginning.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
I find it interesting that the SUper 8 that I own does not use disposable filters.
I like the idea of a reusable oil strainer, which is at the drain plug.
It does make me wonder about the ability of the oil to remove and perhaps hold particles.
In any case, it seems that more frequent oil changes are the key to these little engines.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »
In any case, it seems that more frequent oil changes are the key to these little engines.

..you hit the nail on the head!..

..i change my oil at about half the recommended interval, and it's ready to be changed when i do...

..now i ride hard, for 35+ miles every day...so that does factor in..

..but these little air-cooled engines run hot and break down oil quickly...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()