Author Topic: Lunch with Crossbolt  (Read 656 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Lunch with Crossbolt
« on: August 19, 2018, 01:28:55 AM »
It's always nice to be able to actually meet someone that I have interacted with on a forum.  I have met dozens of people that way over the years but today was the first time meeting someone on this forum.  Crossbolt was in town so we met for lunch.  We met at the Blue Plate Cafe in Huntsville.  The food was great.  We enjoyed the food and continued to talk for quite a while.  We had a lot in common beyond this forum.  We talked for over 2 hours and could easily have spend two more. 

My Kymco is temporarily out of service with a dead battery so I rode my Yamaha Majesty.

This parking lot was packed when we got there but by the time we left the lunch crowd was all gone.

Karl, it was great meeting you today.  Hopefully our paths will cross again.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Lunch with Crossbolt
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
Had a marvelous meet-up is an understatement! Thank you for posting your pictures since Stig and you are way better at it than I am! Your favorite restaurant is a place I will take my wife if I can get her to travel here, again. You even got me to look at ADV forum! This was a treat! Ride safe, shipmate!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
Good job you two!
I see that Crossbolts still carries that monkey everywhere he goes.
Nice looking bikes....white is handsome and Majesties are always nice to look at. My wife and I  spoke with a young female college professor who was loading her Majesty in a grocery parking lot. My first look at one. Impressive! She rides it 30 miles to and fro on the highway to work every day.
Thanks for sharing, you two.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 12:11:27 PM »
Let me know if you are back in town again some time and we'll do it again.  I'll be out in your area next June for a wedding so maybe we can meet up then. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »
Yeah! Just say the word! Maybe I will make that trip to Ohio, Stig!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »
Ohio.  I'll be heading to Ohio next June.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
Yeah! Just say the word! Maybe I will make that trip to Ohio, Stig!
They'll take that monkey away from you on this side of the bridge.
Can he swim?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:18:50 AM »
That monkey box was for all the radio purchases at the Hamfest! That dint happen! What I did buy would fit in a very small envelope. You gonna confiscate my box at the river bridge, heh? Guess I'll have to stow my kit elsewhere or pick a better crossing!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:40:17 AM »
I'm envious.

I've never met anyone from the internet, ever.

Great post, and great pix! Well done you two!
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
I'm envious.

I've never met anyone from the internet, ever.

Great post, and great pix! Well done you two!

It's not that hard to do.  In my first post I said I have met dozens of people from the internet.  That wasn't really accurate, hundreds would be more accurate.  I met most of my friends and people I ride with through the internet.  No I'm not on a motorcycle dating site ::)

I am active on 4 forums and a member of several others.  I'm also on several groups on Facebook.  The forums I am active on are Adventure Rider, Motorcycle Alabama, Maxi Scoots and this one.  On facebook I'm on the local scooter club, the local vintage club, and a couple of other local groups.  On most weekends there are several events or rides I could go on.  Or I often post up a ride myself.  Sometimes I'll get one other rider to join me, sometimes 20 but mostly somewhere in between. 

The weekend before I had lunch with Crossbolt I met a couple from New Zealand who are riding cross country on Honda Grom's.  I not only met them but hosted them for a couple of nights.  It was a fantastic experience and only happened because I'm active on Adventure rider.

I would never have met Crossbolt if I wasn't active on this forum.

Forums are not like wives.  You can have more than one.  I see many of the people on this forum on other forums as well.  I have no doubt I will meet some of these people in the future.  It will happen because I will make the effort to make it happen.  I have met many great people and had many great experiences by meeting people from the internet.  It's worth the effort.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
Well, I guess that explains it then...  ;)
I don't do "facebook" and won't ever.
There are no local "scooter" clubs within 100 miles, and of the three motorcycle clubs I'm aware of, one would get me shot, the second, I don't have a good enough tan to join, and the third one is comprised of very wealthy wannabees on brand new Harleys who would laugh me into the next county if I showed up with a 400cc scooter.

If there is a bright center of the Universe, I am in one of the cities farthest from it.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:19 PM »
Well, I guess that explains it then...  ;)
I don't do "facebook" and won't ever.
There are no local "scooter" clubs within 100 miles, and of the three motorcycle clubs I'm aware of, one would get me shot, the second, I don't have a good enough tan to join, and the third one is comprised of very wealthy wannabees on brand new Harleys who would laugh me into the next county if I showed up with a 400cc scooter.

If there is a bright center of the Universe, I am in one of the cities farthest from it.

Facebook does have a bunch of crap on it and I don't really like it either but there is also some good stuff on it.  I have one friend who is on facebook purely because the local scooter club is on facebook.  He doesn't use his real name, has no friends on FB and only does scooter club stuff on it. 

If you absolutely won't do FB, then try the Adventure rider forum.  It's probably the biggest motorcycle forum out there and has a very active scooter forum on it. 

There is also the Maxi scoots forum.  Several people on this forum are also on it.  It's not a big forum but there might be some people on it near you.

BTW, I go on motorcycle rides all the time on my scooters.  No one has ever laughed at me.  Many have been amazed what a scooter can do and some have even ended up buying scooters.  I don't know where you live but here in Alabama it's mostly Harley's.  I have ridden with Harley riders with no issues.  I have many friends who ride Harley's.  It doesn't bother me that they ride Harley's and it doesn't bother them that I ride a scooter. 

If you want to meet other riders, It's not that hard but it's up to you.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 07:21:11 PM »
Facebook does have a bunch of crap on it and I don't really like it either but there is also some good stuff on it.  I have one friend who is on facebook purely because the local scooter club is on facebook.  He doesn't use his real name, has no friends on FB and only does scooter club stuff on it. 

If you absolutely won't do FB, then try the Adventure rider forum.  It's probably the biggest motorcycle forum out there and has a very active scooter forum on it. 

There is also the Maxi scoots forum.  Several people on this forum are also on it.  It's not a big forum but there might be some people on it near you.

BTW, I go on motorcycle rides all the time on my scooters.  No one has ever laughed at me.  Many have been amazed what a scooter can do and some have even ended up buying scooters.  I don't know where you live but here in Alabama it's mostly Harley's.  I have ridden with Harley riders with no issues.  I have many friends who ride Harley's.  It doesn't bother me that they ride Harley's and it doesn't bother them that I ride a scooter. 

If you want to meet other riders, It's not that hard but it's up to you.

I'll say ditto to what klaviator said. I do get made fun of at motorcycle meets though. But not by strangers. It's always my friends that give me a hard time.

ET, tell us what area you're located and then if we come through, we can pm you to meet up.
I'm out in the woods just noth of B'ham, Roll Tide.....(Alabama).

I also use a fake name on FB to keep in touch with my cousins. I just check in maybe twice a week.

Motorcycle/scooter forums and good motorcycle/scooter videos on youtube is about it for me.

I do check Yahoo News twice a week to see if Cali has fallen in the Pacific or if the Super Volcano in Jellystone has blown yet.

I've had good interaction with people coming through and camping on the farm. I've also had some passing through that would PM me for my cell number and we'd meet at the gas station, restaurant, fast food, or similar depending on their schedule.

On Advrider, I've met some nice folks while playing the local tag game. There are many versions and types of those games to play and interact with fellow riders either by the forum or at the tag locations sometimes.

Having said all that, I'm just an hour+ from klav and have yet to meet him.......but we are consistently interacting on the same threads on multiple forums......

Jonnielights

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »
Where are you EvilTessmacher?

I grew up in upstate NY, near Lake George, I think I remember a post that you said you were somewhere up in NY.

That said I would love to take a look at your new Xciting as I plan on purchasing one by end of year.

I would be willing to drive the local highways from NYC on my 200i for lunch. That is if your not too far west?

Let me know, Jon
2015 Kymco Like 200i LX- Gold with Black Stripes
2015 Honda CB500XA- Grey and Yellow
Queens, NYC

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 07:40:13 PM »
I'll say ditto to what klaviator said. I do get made fun of at motorcycle meets though. But not by strangers. It's always my friends that give me a hard time.

ET, tell us what area you're located and then if we come through, we can pm you to meet up.
I'm out in the woods just noth of B'ham, Roll Tide.....(Alabama).

I also use a fake name on FB to keep in touch with my cousins. I just check in maybe twice a week.

Motorcycle/scooter forums and good motorcycle/scooter videos on youtube is about it for me.

I do check Yahoo News twice a week to see if Cali has fallen in the Pacific or if the Super Volcano in Jellystone has blown yet.

I've had good interaction with people coming through and camping on the farm. I've also had some passing through that would PM me for my cell number and we'd meet at the gas station, restaurant, fast food, or similar depending on their schedule.

On Advrider, I've met some nice folks while playing the local tag game. There are many versions and types of those games to play and interact with fellow riders either by the forum or at the tag locations sometimes.

Having said all that, I'm just an hour+ from klav and have yet to meet him.......but we are consistently interacting on the same threads on multiple forums......

Are you coming to the Maxi scoots meet up in September?  If so we will finally meet in person. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()