Author Topic: Rough take offs - 2007 Kymco People 150  (Read 792 times)

frogseatflies

• View Profile
Rough take offs - 2007 Kymco People 150
« on: August 11, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
I'm looking for a very smooth acceleration from 0mp to 20mph.  I have no issues riding at a low speed and accelerating quickly to high speed.

From a stop, when I begin accelerating from 0mph, it kinda does a hard shift into gear.  I'm not sure if there is shifting going on or how the mechanics actually work, nor do I know the correct tehcnical terms.  But it's rough at the beginning accelaration from 0 - 5 mph.  Somewhere around there.  It's always from the beginning of acceleration when it has rough transmission.     So my semi-workaround to make it less of a rough shift or gear engagement is to rev it up and down a few times to tease it or seduce it into shifting into gear.    When it catches, it's like it jerks a little bit.  So as take off from all my stops, I nurse the throttle up and down to get it to kinda get in gear smoother.

Any ideas?

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Rough take offs - 2007 Kymco People 150
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »
Here is a short video on how your CVT works. The centrifugal clutch is probably grabbing; in the video it is the pulley in the foreground...https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=How+a+cvt+works+video&view=detail&mid=A7AE58174B45CD606757A7AE58174B45CD606757&FORM=VIRE
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

beermak

• View Profile
Rough take offs - 2007 Kymco People 150
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »
Check clutch pads and clutch bell... if they are glazed or the bell is contaminated cleaning and sanding will help.

If bell is uneven/deformed you will need to replace it

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:38:49 PM »
My previous scooter was a Piaggio product that developed clutch judder every few thousand miles. This resulted from clutch dust accumulating in the bell, and was easily cleared up without disassembly by blowing (100 lb or so of) air pressure through the bell. My Kymco has had a judder problem since the day it was new that feels like clutch dust, but it obviously can't be; so, since it was pretty mild, I've just lived with it, and it hasn't gotten any worse.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:29:16 PM »
I'm with beermak: sand the clutch pads and the inside of the bell. All three of my Kymcos need periodic sanding to eliminate the "grabbies".
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 11:49:11 PM »
Many scooters benefit from a brisk use of the throttle in pulling away from a stop.
Gets the clutch "locked-up" quickly, limiting clutch slipping - reducing glazed clutch pads.
De-glaze your pads...then try the above.
Pads glaze and grab while slipping....that's your "hard shifting" ….lock it up quicker to reduce it!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()