Author Topic: 600 Mile Service Parts & Tools - 2018 Xciting 400i ABS - SK80AL-US  (Read 2453 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Re: 600 Mile Service Parts & Tools - 2018 Xciting 400i ABS - SK80AL-US
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 09:35:41 PM »
Well, darn, Stig... That sounds like a load of bollocks, as my British friend says. An oil filter is an oil filter is an oil filter. All the rest of that just seems like rubbish to me. Bummer. It's almost like they're so concerned about making a buck off of people, rather than making sure they put at least something in.

If I don't get my new oil filter soon, I'm seriously going to think about getting one of these. I'll be over 750 miles in a couple of days.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
Well, darn, Stig... That sounds like a load of bollocks, as my British friend says. An oil filter is an oil filter is an oil filter. All the rest of that just seems like rubbish to me. Bummer. It's almost like they're so concerned about making a buck off of people, rather than making sure they put at least something in.

If I don't get my new oil filter soon, I'm seriously going to think about getting one of these. I'll be over 750 miles in a couple of days.
You know, I think it was the Burgman service schedule book that advised changing the oil filter only every second oil change. Seriously.
Some guys said, "yeah - that dirty filter filters even a little better than the clean one.".....now that it's gummed up a bit??
Who knows.....
I'd get a HiFlo in there and some new oil.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 01:11:38 AM »
I think I might just do exactly that.
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 01:42:27 AM »
Dirty filters do typically filter better than new ones (true with air filters too). The thing to worry about with dirty oil filters is eventually they'll get so clogged that they'll open a bypass valve that allows the dirty oil through. Unless they don't have such a valve (I don't think mine does), and then no oil will flow.

No idea how long that takes though.

Personally, I would go with the aftermarket filter for the time being.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
Well, I ordered that Hiflo on August 24.

Still no oil filter from either the dealer or Brooksbarn.

I changed out the old oil for new oil last Friday (took me about 20 minutes. Thanks Clampett!) I drained out the old filter, and blew compressed air through it (gently, gently) to sort of "help" the old oil out. It looked pretty good, but I still ran a neodymium magnet over it, just to catch anything I couldn't see. Buttoned everything back up, and I'm riding around on that old filter with new oil.

Going to do another change when either one of the filters gets in, and then I'm going to order a couple of spares, just to have on hand.

This is getting ridiculous. It's the Dauphine all over again.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »
Well, I ordered that Hiflo on August 24.

Still no oil filter from either the dealer or Brooksbarn.

I changed out the old oil for new oil last Friday (took me about 20 minutes. Thanks Clampett!) I drained out the old filter, and blew compressed air through it (gently, gently) to sort of "help" the old oil out. It looked pretty good, but I still ran a neodymium magnet over it, just to catch anything I couldn't see. Buttoned everything back up, and I'm riding around on that old filter with new oil.

Going to do another change when either one of the filters gets in, and then I'm going to order a couple of spares, just to have on hand.

This is getting ridiculous. It's the Dauphine all over again.
Owner's of brand new models run into this lack of spares,  sometimes.
Could be worse...could be finding first year mechanical issues, with all the recall hassles and road breakdowns.
Strange that filter is not common to other models sold here. Oil & air filters should arrive on the same boat carrying the bikes!
Well, you get ALL the joys of 1st owners of new models....incl.the spares shortage.
I know some riders who preach new model avoidance.....
I say, no problem, just do pre-purchase reasearch.
My big thing is ease of DIY maintenance....won't ever again step out with one hard to DIY the basics. I bought the Piaggio serv. manual, before buying the scoot.
 I know of 3 scoots so difficult to valve service. ....forums are full of rationalizations for neglecting them. If a bunch neglect them....it must be OK?
😊
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 08:12:38 PM »
No new model recalls because it isn't new. They started making these back in 2013. They are just new to the N. American market. So plenty of supplies, just not local.
The new model of the 400i has integrated GPS with a screen you can modify and even add your own screen saver. Maybe we can get it in 4 more years too  :-\

As far as the oil filter, the research I've done shows no other bike/scooter uses this filter. But, just because I can't find another ride that uses it doesn't mean it is so......
If you do a search on the HF568, all references state it is only for the 400i.

Track of the sales of these filters would provide some invaluable research on average usage vs just purchase and sitting in the garage.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 06:30:23 PM »
For what it's worth gang, It occurred to me that I hadn't posted the torque values to retighten everything. I don't happen to have that info directly in front of me, but I do recall that the manual used some weird values, like Kg/m or something like that. I remember having to convert to Newton-Meters, and I wrote all that down out in the garage when I was doing all this. And that's where it sits. In the garage.

I'll get it posted a little later today.

Sorry about that!

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 08:33:46 PM »
I've got this:
Oil drain: 18.08 ft/lb torque
Oil strainer: 7.2 ft/lb torque

But I've no info for the filter cover plate (that I can find). So, I just got it hand tight, put the wrench on it and added about 1/8 turn. Checked it a week later and still good without any leaks.
When I checked it the week following, I set the wrench to 8 ft/lb and it moved just a hair then clicked.
I'd feel better if I knew the proper torque for the filter.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
I've got this:

But I've no info for the filter cover plate (that I can find). So, I just got it hand tight, put the wrench on it and added about 1/8 turn. Checked it a week later and still good without any leaks.
When I checked it the week following, I set the wrench to 8 ft/lb and it moved just a hair then clicked.

Well, there ya go...

I think I did my filter cap at 10 Nm. I'm going to park on a piece of cardboard tonight when I get home, and see what it looks like tomorrow.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
I'm going to park on a piece of cardboard tonight when I get home, and see what it looks like tomorrow.

I'm very happy to report that there are no runs, drips, or leaks. The cardboard was clean.

But I'm still nervous that I didn't put enough gear oil in the trans. I may go back out and top it off later today, if I don't start feeling a little better about this.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
Your call, ET. No whining if you gotta clean up a buncha 90W! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:08 AM »
Your call, ET. No whining if you gotta clean up a buncha 90W! Har, har!

Whine? Me?

I think I'm just going to visually check it, and let it go at that. If it isn't visible at the edge of the hole, then I'll add in a bit more.

I suspect I won't have to do that, as I added about 240ml. That's 10 more than a complete overhaul calls for.

The engine oil is just fine. Although, I don't like the way the dipstick is gradiated. It just isn't visually clear what the level is. Needs to be redesigned.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2018, 11:30:45 AM »
Some Piaggio scoots have a plastic dipstick in the top of the gear case.
I caught a lot of grief from Vespa owners for not checking mine.
My Piaggio does not have a DS.
The fill till overflows sure makes things simpler. Wish all scoots had that.
I measure what comes out of a new scooter....and refill with that amount. I would not return more than directed by a manual. A bit less would likely have less consequences than an overfill.
When I  get messed up on my measurements, I  just drain and start over.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
I've got this:

I wanted to expand on this a little...

From the manual, the recommended torque values:

For the Oil Strainer Screen Cover: 10Nm or 7.38 Ft/Lb

For the Oil Drain Plug Bolt: 25Nm or 18.44 Ft/Lb

For the Gear Oil Drain and Fill Bolt: 9.8Nm or 7.23 Ft/Lb

Here's the one that isn't in the manual, but after looking around a bit and reading the comments sections on several videos, the consensus seems to be...

Oil Filter Cap: 20Nm or 14.75 Ft/Lb

I still don't have any leaks from Diana, but I am also still a bit worried about that dang gear oil... 

---
1982 Honda PA-50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()