Author Topic: Variator clutch assembly  (Read 2380 times)

szabgab

• View Profile
Variator clutch assembly
« on: July 19, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
Hi guys,

I know, I know, I come here, only when I need some help, sorry for that, work and all that BS.

Anyway, I do have this ongoing battle with my Xciting 250i, I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it, I'm tired of all the antics and the always reoccurring ailments. But I"m hanging on, the fuel consumption is great, weather protection is phenomenal and even though the bike is large and heavy, I've learned to navigate the traffic clogged streets of Budapest on it without an issue or any broken rear view mirrors :)

I had this rattle coming from the belt cover since day1, I have replaced the belt, roller weights, sliding guides to no avail. The bike is getting worse and worse at realigning the clutch side variator, and the bike slaps the belt around at idle for a minute or so before readjusting itself. I have had this constant chatter at idle too, not belt slap, an irregular chatter, so I went ahead, and have taken the whole rear variator assembly apart. I have cleaned and lubed everything and replaced clutch springs and the rubber stops, now the chatter has completely gone, but the belt slap has gone even worse with some side noises. When I have taken the variator part to pieces, I have realised, there is a large amount of free play in the turning faces - the groves and the pins, basically I can lift the variator faces apart by a whole centimeter without twisting the faces, I am not sure, if you get my stutter :) So either the groves are enlarged, the guide pins worn or both, I have no way of checking, as the workshop manual states wear limits only to the faces and so on. So given, that the Kymco parts supply in this country is nearly non-existent, I have thought of sourcing a second-hand clutch assembly, and making a working set, but nobody is selling salvage Xcitings at the moment. I am sure, as Kymco bikes are basically Honda parts bins, there is an equivalent Honda (or other Kymco) model(s), that uses exactly the same clutch, but where to start? Does anybody has got an idea, what model of a bike should I look for?

Thank you,

Regards,

Gab 

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Variator clutch assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 03:26:34 PM »
I did some research at Kymcopartsmonster.com here in the US and it appears by part numbers that the clutch assembly on these models are the same. They are... Grand Vista 250 ( may be called Grand Dink), Bet and Win 250, and the People 250 models.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

szabgab

• View Profile
Re: Variator clutch assembly
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:20:51 AM »
I did some research at Kymcopartsmonster.com here in the US and it appears by part numbers that the clutch assembly on these models are the same. They are... Grand Vista 250 ( may be called Grand Dink), Bet and Win 250, and the People 250 models.

Hi,  yes I have noticed a similarity,  but most of the times the long part numbers differ ever so slightly,  I'm sure,  those little changds could superficial,  or not.  Given,  that even the Xciting 250 and 250i doe have two different length belts,  there must be some changes in the moving faces,  etc...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()