Author Topic: Rattling from clutch or variator.  (Read 2169 times)

DaxFX

• View Profile
Rattling from clutch or variator.
« on: July 18, 2018, 02:48:14 AM »
Hi guys. My people gt300i is doing a wierd rattling and looks like is coming from inside the belt-clutch-variator housing.

The sound is like a rattling noise and only happends when i hit full throtle (or almost full) at a 0-5 mph only at that speed.  If i ride normal doesnt do the noise.

I went to the dealer and they told me is the  clutch and all 300gti  do the sane after a little wile. They told me not to buy new clutch because it will do the same after a little wile. They told me my solution is going with aftermarket clutch like a malossi.  but my scoot have only 1,500 miles on it.

Is like the noise happends wile clutch is not fully engage or like the variator weights is rattling around. After i gain some speed (or clutch fully engaged) i can hit full throtle and all good.

Any recomendation ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:52:58 AM by DaxFX »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Rattling from clutch or variator.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
Is it clutch pad chatter....from glazed clutch pad surfaces?
If so, a light sanding of pad faces and scrubbing of inner clutch bell surface will help.
Might be something on the pulley faces or belt causing a slip/stick chatter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »
It is either like Stig said or something is loose. Your dealer has no idea. This characteristic is NOT typical of all 300i machines. Does your dealer sell Malossi?

I read back your posts starting in 2017 and conclude your noise may just be what Stig said (as usual, he pretty smart!)could be clutch shoe glazing. That's guessing you have a couple thousand miles now. OK, I see the 1500 miles! The only thing that seems out of normal for clutch shudder is you stated full or nearly full throttle at 5 mph or less. The shudder usually occurs when the takeoff is gentle and full throttle is the way to prevent the shudder. The shudder is felt more than heard where a rattle sounds more metallic or sharper and is heard more than felt.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:35:33 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DaxFX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:17:13 AM »
Hey guys sorry my late reply. Im thinking to service my CVT this weekend. What should i do?, i will sand the clutch pads, check rollers, belt, spring etc what should i look for?

Also I was looking into upgrade for something smother what you recomend to me goys ? I will start with some 14g Dr. pulley.

Im happy with stock setup performance. I can add just a bit more faster response.

What good clutch and variator are out there for the Gt300 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 01:41:23 AM »
At 1500 miles I wouldn't expect you'll need to do more than clean outside of clutch and inside of the bell.... and brush out black debris throughout the cvt.
What are your stock roller weights?
Buggypartsnw gives pointers on Dr Pulley weights.
Kymco puts a good cvt together - but maybe there's something better out there for your still new scooter?
Stig
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:43:51 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()