Author Topic: Cold mornings.  (Read 6013 times)

Botakchek

• View Profile
Re: Cold mornings.
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2021, 02:11:02 PM »
Does removing gas cap solve your dying problem? (That is my favorite thing to harp about!)

Unfortunately not, I avoid overfilling after reading up about it here these days hahaha.

Also, would like to update that after the valve clearance, the bike works perfectly now :)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2021, 02:27:07 PM »
I am not arguing! But please, someone! Explain how tight valves cause a problem in the morning but then runs fine all day.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 04:54:44 PM »
I am not arguing! But please, someone! Explain how tight valves cause a problem in the morning but then runs fine all day.

I'm no mechanic Karl and if you don't know the answer then I hesitate to offer this thought, but; could it be to do with engine heat?  i.e. once up to temperature the valve metal expands to a slightly wider gap allowing it to run without dying?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2021, 08:59:59 PM »
I'm no mechanic Karl and if you don't know the answer then I hesitate to offer this thought, but; could it be to do with engine heat?  i.e. once up to temperature the valve metal expands to a slightly wider gap allowing it to run without dying?
Usually does not work that way. The long valve stems usually "grow" faster than everything else and close the gap even more. Given Honda elegant technology, it is probably reversed here!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2021, 09:48:02 PM »
D'accord with @CROSSBOLT,
valves are usually adjusted at "cold" (under 20°C) motor temperature, warm up after start and stop chattering by expanding. Then they fit smoothly and without gap onto your cams, valve-seats, etc.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2021, 01:15:34 AM »
I have heard that hard (morning) starts can be an indication of valves needing adjustment. Always assumed this meant the scooter would eventually start and run for the day. ....otherwise it would be a "won't start" situation, not a hard start.
Which part is getting warmer and or growing/tightening . ..is beyond my pay grade 😊
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2021, 07:20:02 AM »
Usually does not work that way. The long valve stems usually "grow" faster than everything else and close the gap even more. Given Honda elegant technology, it is probably reversed here!

See, I knew I should’ve kept my thoughts to myself! 😂. Thanks for the insight Karl.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Botakchek

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 07:43:59 AM »
Yea, pretty interesting... no idea why. All the mechanics pointed towards the tappet being too tight, runs like a dream, it doesnt even need to be 'warmed' up now, I can just start the bike and move off just fine.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2021, 10:28:29 AM »
Yea, pretty interesting... no idea why. All the mechanics pointed towards the tappet being too tight, runs like a dream, it doesnt even need to be 'warmed' up now, I can just start the bike and move off just fine.
That is a good description of exactly how this model (and its relatives) and the Yager works. The Like 200i as well. Hot, cold and in between.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2021, 06:36:08 AM »
That is a good description of exactly how this model (and its relatives) and the Yager works. The Like 200i as well. Hot, cold and in between.

My Piaggio B V 350  came with a Cal. grade EVAP system. and something pluged and it cruched the gas tank down to a 8 Lt. from a 12.5 Lt. tank it is a plastic tank,. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()