Author Topic: alternator not charging  (Read 1014 times)

happytobepoor

• View Profile
alternator not charging
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »
Hi everyone, first time posting  here. The alternator of my Kymco downtown 300 2013 stopped working last june, There is no dealer around to have things fixed. So I put a regular car battery under the seat and I recharge it regularly until I can find someone who can troubleshoot the problem.

Has anyone on this forum had the same problem with the alternator. Any suggestion.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: alternator not charging
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »
Do you have a multimeter?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:07:58 AM »
Either your stator/magneto or rectifier has given up any hope to live.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:54 PM »
Hi, yes, I had the same problem, only on an Xciting, but I believe they share most of their innards. Anyway, a multimeter, as Karl suggested is a good start, you will have to measure resistance and voltage across the three yellow wires coming from the engine as a start. Resistance should not be over 0.5 ohms I believe and the voltage should be around 70 Volts AC. Check the wiring, mine was in tatters straight at the point  where the cables exit the engine, one was completely broken off, so the battery was charging just about a tiny bit, so it kept a healthy battery somewhat alive during use, but it would die eventually and needed to be recharged every so often. If the cable is broken off you are in bad luck, I had to part the engine and rewire the thing, it took me a good deal of two weeks and had to drain fluids, remove rear wheel, swing arm, muffler, water pump cover and generator cover,  find an oil resistant way of soldering heat and oil tolerant cables to existing ones, cocking up royally on the way and loosing the oil through piece, which I still do not have, basically a major-major hassle. The other probability is a misbehaving reg-rec, which is a simple swap operation

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:52:38 AM »
It is not uncommon for the regulator to fail. Fortunately it is a relatively cheap and easy fix.

I wrote a guide a year ago:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=24424.0
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
Outstanding, Mouse! I read that when posted and appreciate that fine piece even more today! By the way, is your eBay rectifier-regulator still working?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

szabgab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
Outstanding, Mouse! I read that when posted and appreciate that fine piece even more today! By the way, is your eBay rectifier-regulator still working?

I'm interested in the ebay regulator too, as mine is crap. Or alternatively I have read a thread somewhere here, where a Honda reg-rec was modified, as they are a ton more reliable

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 08:40:14 AM »

A year later it is still working. I have never seen the battery light come on again.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 04:17:01 PM »
A year later it is still working. I have never seen the battery light come on again.

Did you get a shindengen SH232-12  7.3
 MINE HAS 3 YELLOW WIRES,     AND A GREEN  A  BLACK  A RED WITH WHITE STRIPE,   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()