Author Topic: Kymco Agiliy City 16+ 50i slooow  (Read 7931 times)

DrSwammelstam

• View Profile
Kymco Agiliy City 16+ 50i slooow
« on: May 01, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
Hi,

Just found the forum searching for info regarding possible restrictions/de-restriction on my kymco 16+ 50i scooter. Well, I've found nothing yet on the 16+and the closest I came was sento 50i on this forum. So, the question is if any of you guys know anything? The problem is that my Agility City 16+ 50i, european version, 45 km/h moped only achieves 41-42 km/h on flats, 45km/h downhill and drops down to 30-35km/h in moderate climbs. Acceleration is also bad compared to my old 4-stroke agility city.

Some basic info from observations on my own moped:

1. The variator "boss" thingy is not restricted (at least compared to how it looked on my old agility city). The variator weights could be something to look closer into though.

2. There is a fixed throttle-stopper, casted into the intake/throttle housing, so eliminating that would require bigger tools and some creativity.

3. It appears there is no cdi unit like the in my 4-stroke agility city.

4. By the battery there is a bigger connector together with some other wiring, I guess this is for diagnostics and possibly software tuning (my only hope at the moment).

Any suggestions or do I just have to accept seemingly poor performance?

/Henrik

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Kymco Agiliy City 16+ 50i slooow
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
Based on your 4-stroke Agility City riding experience, why did you not select a scooter that was compatible with your speed expectations?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
Yeah, that is the plug-in for the Kymco diagnostic tool. It could tell the mechanic if things are seriously astray from the norms.
Not sure how much "tuning" you could do with it plugged in.
But it could tell you what needs to be put right....if anything is wrong.

www.cyclepedia.com sells scooter and motorcycle service manuals......with a trouble shooting section for things like, "lack of power".

If you plan to keep the scooter ....one of these manuals might be a good investment.
Also, a chat with the service or parts desk at your Kymco dealer might give you something to go on. You might find out that your speeds are normal for this scooter.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:02:07 PM »
So is it a 4T FI 50?
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

DrSwammelstam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:04:57 PM »
Based on your 4-stroke Agility City riding experience, why did you not select a scooter that was compatible with your speed expectations?

Well, I expected a 45km/h scooter to do at least 45, most do that and a little bit more, not less. I wasn't expecting 65km/h.

Yeah, that is the plug-in for the Kymco diagnostic tool. It could tell the mechanic if things are seriously astray from the norms.
Not sure how much "tuning" you could do with it plugged in.
But it could tell you what needs to be put right....if anything is wrong.

Stig

Yep, I thought that would be the next step.

So is it a 4T FI 50?

Yes!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:06:35 PM by DrSwammelstam »

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
I know this won't be the news you want, but I think you're going to be very limited on options.

45km/h is the speed limit for 50ccs in the EU.

Have you thought about putting some Dr. Pulley (or similar) slider weights in the variator? Hopefully this would give you more usable gearing :)
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Moonwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »
I'm going to add this to the conversation. I have ride my scooter (Agility 50) at 45 Km/H downhill on some occasions. I will tell you that is not safe at all. The scooter is stable at that speed but you can tell that if it goes faster you won't feel safe the same way that you will with a bigger bike. That top speed is enough for that type of scooter.
This scooter was made for city life, to enjoy going around safely and at a medium speed.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »
I'm going to add this to the conversation. I have ride my scooter (Agility 50) at 45 Km/H downhill on some occasions. I will tell you that is not safe at all. The scooter is stable at that speed but you can tell that if it goes faster you won't feel safe the same way that you will with a bigger bike. That top speed is enough for that type of scooter.
This scooter was made for city life, to enjoy going around safely and at a medium speed.

It should feel stable though, especially as they made that bike with a 125cc motor for years as well.

How are your tyre pressures? They can make a huge difference :)
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

DrSwammelstam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »
Update!

Some time ago, I took the moped to the dealer who agreed it was unresonably slow, another unsold moped displayed the same slow behaviour. The dealer contacted the importer which for a couple of weeks just came with bullsh**, saying it wasn’t an issue (check tyre pressure etc.). Today the dealer rang me and let me know that many, if not all of the 16+ 50 cc injected Kymcos are slow. Apparently the same issue has been found for the injected 16+ in Germany as well, and ”you don’t mess with Germans”! 😋. I guess the German market is bigger than the Swedish and now Kymco has to address the problem. A possible fix might be a softer spring in the rear but my dealer thinks it has to do with not enough fuel or possibly rpm restriction.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
What does a softer rear spring have to do with speed?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DrSwammelstam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »
What does a softer rear spring have to do with speed?

Won’t it allow the belt to come closer to to the rear axle = better gearing for higher speed?

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
Should be fixed gearing however it's sprung. Well, as fixed as a CVT can be.

Sounds like a remap is in order.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
Won’t it allow the belt to come closer to to the rear axle = better gearing for higher speed?
That is nonsense. The center distance does not change in a CVT. It does in a chain final drive. This is a motorcycle thought stated by someone who is unfamiliar with how CVT's work.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »

Then he may want to try heavier rollers (Dr Pulley Sliders equivalent)  to counter act the contra spring rather than removing the rear pulley assembly as it is easier to remove the variator.

I sense the new 4 stroke kymcos are restricted at the carb and limited to revs. Dealers sell many types of bikes, so I couldn't expect them to know what Kymco has done to the new models coming out. My dealer was almost clueless and scratched their heads when I asked about derestricting my scooter prior to sale. They told me the bigger 82 jet was only needed if I changed elevation.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 07:30:09 PM »
i have a 4t super 8.  the bigger jet works wonders.  i was amazed at the difference going from an 80 to an 82 made.

tell the dealer to change and it will help you. 
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()