Author Topic: Trade 300 gti for xciting 400i abs  (Read 1617 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Trade 300 gti for xciting 400i abs
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
How interesting... This morning, I did another search for it, and found these:

https://www.speedmax.biz/en/x-citing-400-i/814-high-protection-windshield-ermax.html

and

https://www.ermax.com/Kymco/X-CITING-400/high_protection_windshield_.html?egap=article&ida=6495

For $103.52 USD and $121.30 USD respectively, they're competitive and reasonable. Thank you!

I think I've found my first mod!
Had 2 ERMAX screens on a Burgman 400. Good quality.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »
Had 2 ERMAX screens on a Burgman 400. Good quality.
Stig

Thanks for that encomium, Stig! Always a good thing.

I've got it on order, but had a weird experience. Bought mine from Motomachines. Got an email the day after the purchase, telling me they had a "note that this order was to be canceled, and did I still want the screen?" My reply was "from where did you get this note?" They responded with "Oh, we just found out we have to special order this, but we also found that we had one that had been set aside, and it's on the way" so if you guys ever buy anything from Motomachines, watch out that they don't cancel your order on you.

here are some pics
The bike rides very smooth and just put a 100 miles on it to slowly break it in. It responds very quickly  to throttle input. The only  thing that irks me is the mirrors, because I am broad shouldered, its hard to see behind me. I might need to get extenders. I'll will report more as I continue to ride it. It handles very well and I am pleased with my trade in.

Leo, I'm not the tallest, biggest guy in the world, but I've found that if you adjust the mirrors out a little (twist the stalk at the handlebar away from you slightly) you can change the angle. It took a bit to get used to having to adjust the glass instead of the whole mirror housing, but there's a turn signal inside that mirror housing so I guess it makes sense to do it that way.

The other thing I've discovered is man, that seat is fairly wide! I have a 32" inseam, and can't flatfoot both feet on the ground when sitting on the seat. I have to slip off slightly to one side to plant my whole foot on the ground.

But you're right about the acceleration, and the quickness. Going from my PCX to this 400i has been like going from a go-kart to Formula 1. I just eased past 100 miles on my way home Friday, and I'm working up a "First Impressions" post.

Best of luck to you man!
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
Hurry up! Can't wait for your report!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 01:54:26 AM »
I've owned the Xciting 500 (which I sold), and still own an Xciting 250 (which I have put over 16,000 miles on). 

They are both VERY stable on the highway.  The Xciting frame is Kymco's highway bike, you have the double disc brakes up front, a decent amount of mass, and the bodywork is such that it doesn't get blown around with crosswinds like my Forza (which is somewhat worse than the xciting) or old Reflex clone (which would require counter steering in any strong breeze).  Mileage on the XC500 wasn't exactly great (42mpg), but it DID have adequate highway power, 85 mph was not a problem (engine not even in redline yet).  The XC400 has the same power but loses a couple of pounds, should be a fantastic highway/touring bike, but with better mileage, just don't expect it to be quite as nimble around town as your 300, since you have the additional weight.  Also, the stock windshield on the 400, being a clone of the windshield that they've been putting on the Xciting since 2009, isn't very good, you'll get a blast of wind on your helmet unless you are riding in crotch rocket position.  Not nearly as bad as the stock Forza windshield (which is decorative and doesn't actually protect you from the wind at all), but you'll probably want to replace it quickly.

The Xcitings tended to lite up the tank empty warning light at around 130 miles, but could probably go another 30 miles beyond that.  It didn't bother me much when I did extensive highway travel, since I needed to take a break every hour or so; I would refuel every other break.

Check the manual for the oil service interval!  The XC500 has an oil filter and a 4000mile oil service interval.  The XC250 has a screen (no filter) but a 1200 mile service interval.  (The Honda Forza has an 8000 mile oil service interval.)  I have no idea what it is on the XC400, but if its 1200 miles, and you do a lot of riding, you will be changing oil once a month.

Finally, underseat storage on the XC500 was *not* very good.  Make sure you pop the seat on the XC400 before putting down the cash, because it is possible you might be wanting a storage box as well.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:00:33 AM by gwdoiron »

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
gwdoiron: I'm on my way out the door to work for a bit to do some administrivia, but when I get back, I've got some thoughts in response to this great post.

Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()