Author Topic: Starter clutch / flywheel puller  (Read 4229 times)

Donmanolo

• View Profile
Starter clutch / flywheel puller
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »
My apologies for not finding anything relevant using the search engine....

My starter clutch is slowly but surely going south and I'll have to get around to opening up the right side of the engine to change it out.

I was just wondering if the standard 27mm x1 mm  left hand thread puller will work for removing the flywheel and the same thing for the 27mm castle nut tool for unbolting the starter clutch itself ?

I haven't got the scooter with me as it's currently parked at my parent's in a faraway European country where I can't open it up and check for myself quite yet.

I'll be buying these in the meantime, unless someone tells me I'm very wrong :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/27MM-24MM-M27x1-M24x1-GY6-50CC-60CC-80CC-125CC-150CC-ATV-Scooter-Quad-Buggy-Flywheel-Rotor/32834446209.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.262.nPiTKd

and

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Scooter-Repair-Tools-152QMI-157QMJ-GY6-125-GY6-150-Starter-Clutch-Nut-Removal-Tool-Clutch-Remove/1371106212.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.nPiTKd

Thanks a lot in the meantime.

Antonio. 

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Starter clutch / flywheel puller
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 06:47:38 PM »
If this is just slippage then it's usually just a matter of sanding it.
To do that on the S 200 you need to pop off the plastic (not as hard as it sounds) pull the cover, blow out the dust, undo a bolt or two (impact wrench makes this easy) blow out all the dust and sand the pads and bell.
While you're in there swap out your rollers to get rid of the flat spot, & check or even change your belt since you have it open.

There is another way to do this that usually works.

I do not recommend it since it has it's hazards & if you screw up you could injure yourself.  I am adding this just to hit all the high points for as much safety as possible since someone else may put it up there half-a$$ed & skip the critical points since it's pretty easy to do and does the job most of the time.
If ya hurt yourself or someone else or your bike it's on you, not me.  While doing this you could have the bike suddenly accelerate forward and it could be a little wild for a sec or two.

PUT on ALL SAFETY GEAR JUST LIKE YOU WOULD FOR A RIDE OR EVEN MORE SO.

Find a spot where you have lots of space in front of you to stop the bike if necessary. Don't do this where anybody will walk or otherwise move in front of you. 

Really.  Not normally an issue but if it is things get hairy while you have your hands full.

Mount the bike.
Start motor.
Hold brakes hard.  hard hard hard. Have feet on ground as well or other means to keep bike stable.  The center stand could be used but adds another lay of potential hazards.
Using throttle. run up the motor into revs that engage the clutch & spin it a bit.
Do this a couple, maybe three times..kinda depends, this is an art not a science.
You can let it sit a bit once after that to let it cool down or not.  Didn't seem to make much difference.

Now try it and see if the clutch is no longer slipping.
If that got it, then next time you do pop it open it'll be kinda dusty, so clean it well.
If that doesn't you'll need to pop it open, & it may need more than deglazing, you can't tell until you're looking at it at that point.

Glazing's usually the cause of clutch slip, & clearing it is part of maintenance on this kind of drive train IMHO.

One final thought.  I didn't do this since I sold my S & kept my SYM, but if I recall correctly, it looked like if you drilled one hole in the side cover you'd be able to get that last bolt to pull the drive train cover and slide the cover off without popping all the plastic.  If you used a standard size drill you could easily get a pop in plastic or metal cover to fill the hole for normal use.  I've seen this done on a few scoots for similar reasons, the HD for instance some do it on the lower side cover for the same reason.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:56:48 PM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Donmanolo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
Ehm thanks... But my clutch is fine

My Sprag/starter clutch isnt.
 ( I thought I'd specified that in my original post. )

That's why I was asking about the correct tools I'll need to split the cases, since the bike is currently in another continent and I cant see for myself .

However...I already ordered them from the links I posted.  I'll let you all know how it went.

Sent from my BV7000 PRO using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:07:11 PM by Donmanolo »

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »
Oops sorry missed the word "Starter" there.

My bad.

Nevermind :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:41:49 PM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Donmanolo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »
Oops sorry missed the word "Starter" there.

My bad.

Nevermind :D
No problem.,thanks for the write-up !

Sent from my BV7000 PRO using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 09:41:03 PM »
MemiGlymn, the South Bend clutch units are for Ford/Dodge/GM V-8 engines, not our scooters. Besides, he said twice, already, STARTER CLUTCH!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pedrazo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »
Hi all - my starter clutch also seems to have gone bad. Doesn't seem to "catch" when using the electric starter, and the kickstart is very hit or miss as well.

Do any of you know if a GY6 starter clutch and idle gear would fit the S200? They seem to be a lot easier to find (and cheaper too). Thanks.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 03:09:01 AM »
I can't say for sure but I would sure think so. A GY6 150cc starter clutch seems to be pretty universal.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 06:48:53 AM »
I can't say for sure but I would sure think so. A GY6 150cc starter clutch seems to be pretty universal.
They're actually not.  There's a huge difference between Kymco bendix starters and Kymco sprag clutch starters. Not only that, but information is scarce.

I've found, for example, that Kawasaki KX90 ATVs have the same starter clutch as my Kymco Kiwi 100, and Kawasaki parts are much easier to find.  I wish there was an easy way to find Kymco parts, but haven't found anything other than hours of digging on the internet in foreign languages!  Then, after you find the parts, there's nothing in any of the FSMs on how to remove and replace a starter clutch.  So take lots of pictures and make notes!

pedrazo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 08:25:03 PM »
They're actually not.  There's a huge difference between Kymco bendix starters and Kymco sprag clutch starters. Not only that, but information is scarce.

I've found, for example, that Kawasaki KX90 ATVs have the same starter clutch as my Kymco Kiwi 100, and Kawasaki parts are much easier to find.  I wish there was an easy way to find Kymco parts, but haven't found anything other than hours of digging on the internet in foreign languages!  Then, after you find the parts, there's nothing in any of the FSMs on how to remove and replace a starter clutch.  So take lots of pictures and make notes!

Interestingly enough the GY6 starter clutch worked just fine:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7ZSZMR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Opened up the crankcase, replaced it, closed things back up, and the bike started right up. Now unfortunately it seems that the stator is barely generating any voltage and I also didn't clean the old gasket bits well enough so it's slow dripping oil.

So on that note does anyone know if a stator like this would be compatible? I don't have the old stator with me but the photo from scooterdynasty looks similar with 12 poles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGFYO26/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2RLHK9JFURQ7Z&psc=1

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 11:13:02 PM »
shoot...I have my motor completely apart and spread out on the workbench but I'm traveling this week. Hang on, I've asked my wife to send me a pic of my stator ..here you go...she didn't get a pic of the wire connector or plug..
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

pedrazo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 01:36:33 AM »
shoot...I have my motor completely apart and spread out on the workbench but I'm traveling this week. Hang on, I've asked my wife to send me a pic of my stator ..here you go...she didn't get a pic of the wire connector or plug..

Thank you (and please tell the same to your wife)! Looks like it's 12 poles, and if I remember right when testing voltage it has 2 male prongs. Tough to tell on eBay and Amazon what connectors they use though.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 02:06:26 AM »
I also didn't clean the old gasket bits well enough so it's slow dripping oil.

yeah, those gaskets are a bear! hardest part of this whole motor tear down is getting the old gaskets off and having clean mating surfaces without gouging them. Did you add anything additional other than a new gasket? I have some permatex copper gasket spray that has been recommended to help prevent leaks.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

pedrazo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 08:29:33 PM »
Nope but will definitely be trying some permatex for my next attempt. I'm pretty sure I gouged it a bit; it was next to impossible to scrape off from the crankcase while it was still installed, even with some acetone and brake cleaner. The crankcase cover side was a lot easier.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 09:33:44 PM »
Nope but will definitely be trying some permatex for my next attempt. I'm pretty sure I gouged it a bit; it was next to impossible to scrape off from the crankcase while it was still installed, even with some acetone and brake cleaner. The crankcase cover side was a lot easier.

first person to develop and sell a miracle old gasket remover could become a millionaire! There are posts all over the internet about people struggling with cleaning gaskets off old aluminum.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()