Author Topic: Scooter or motorcycle  (Read 1477 times)

OGBillyT63

• View Profile
Scooter or motorcycle
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:25 PM »
I am 67 years old and own a 2009 Grandvista 250 .Today I rode a 2017 Honda Rebel 300 thinking it would be a nice step up with it having fuel injection ,nice low seat , 6 speeds and only 600 miles on it.   Maybe I've gotten lazy,  but I fell back n love with my Grandvista after upshifting and down shifting on the Honda Rebel.  I felt the Rebel was a good quality bike , but I also felt I had to pay more attention to the gear position I was in than actually enjoying the ride.   I now really appreciate just starting my scooter up twisting the throttle and accelerating down the road and when it it's time to stop I grab the hand brakes and I stop wth no other extra moves.  All I have to do is twist the throttle and the CVT takes me up to speed in seconds without interruption.   I also have tons of storage under the seat, something the Rebel simply did not have!  I do have a love of motorcycles,  but after riding scooters for years now I'm enjoying the simpler ride my scooter provides.  I just want to say make sure you are actually enjoying your two wheel ride whatever it may be. 

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Scooter or motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:57:16 PM »
I very much agree. If I do ever decide to upgrade to a larger displacement bike it WILL be a scooter. I rode motorcycles for many years  but now that I have enjoyed the easy fun of a scooter I'll not go back to shifting.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:59:40 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:04:14 AM »
Concerning the transmission, I think both have merits. If you drive in the city, I would see the CVTs (or other automatics) as being safety features in addition to their convenience.

Chain drive has an efficiency advantage over belt. I suspect (but haven't yet had the experience to confirm) that shifting is less of a burden in the country or on the highway. And there is an advantage to the extra control.

Concerning the Rebel, I always thought that the 250 was horribly outclassed by its competitors. But the 300, and maybe even more so the 500, are really impressive on paper. And while I don't love the appearance, I appreciate that it's quite artfully done and original. For storage, they did at least easily allow for saddlebag supports and a nice luggage rack.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:02 AM »
Honda has a good compromise between CVT and manual transmission, the DCT gearbox, but it available on only a few bikes starting from 750ccm.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I also agree
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
I have ridden motorcycles all my life and love them. I have a fascination with crotch rockets even though I like all kinds of cycles.
In my younger days, I tended to gravitate toward high powered standards. My favorite was a Yamaha V Max. I loved that bike.
A few years ago, my wife decided she would like to have a motor scooter. I bought her a an Aprilia Scarabeo 200. It has been a good machine.
She let me ride it some and I fell in love with it. I also love motor scooters.
Lo and behold, I decided I wanted a motor scooter too. I bought a Kymco GTI 300 for myself. It has been a super scoot. It will do 90+ wound out so speed and staying with the flow of traffic is not a problem. I sold the motorcycle I had at the time and have never looked back. I love the quiet power of the GT. So far it has been a good machine. At my age, 68, I don`t feel the need to do 130 mph anymore and the GT suits me fine.
It does not matter what you ride. What matters is that you ride.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:13:10 AM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:44 PM »
I have rode motorcycles all my life and love them. I have a fascination with crotch rockets even though I like all kinds of cycles.
In my younger days, I tended to gravitate toward high powered standards. My favorite was a Yamaha V Max. I loved that bike.
A few years ago, my wife decided she would like to have a motor scooter. I bought her a an Aprilia Scarabeo 200. It has been a good machine.
She let me ride it some and I fell in love with it. I also love motor scooters.
Lo and behold, I decided I wanted a motor scooter too. I bought a Kymco GTI 300 for myself. It has been a super scoot. It will do 90+ wound out so speed and staying with the flow of traffic is not a problem. I sold the motorcycle I had at the time and have never looked back. I love the quiet power of the GT. So far it has been a good machine. At my age, 68, I don`t feel the need to do 130 mph anymore and the GT suits me fine.
It does not matter what you ride. What matters is that you ride.
Still riding at 68! [emoji106]
Respect!
I hope I will be able to ride at that age.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »
What Boo said! And I am 77! De dee is 80 something!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

LoupGarou

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »
This thread gives my 52-year-old self hope that I've got a lot of riding years ahead of me.  ;D
As for scooters/motorcycles... I like scooters, and I'll likely get another one soon, but everything else I drive has a manual transmission... I'd feel funny not shifting gears.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
CROSSBOLT & Dee dee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
Just made me feel well, not so old. When you get old, ten years means a lot.
Bet oldtwowheels is up there with us.
Ride on!
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »
72 next month and still ridin'.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »
 Motorcycle....
There are what, 2 scooters in the 300 class in the USA - a new Kymco and a discontinued Forza. Next step is up a couple of thousand dollars for the two 400's. Then prices get stupid if you want to go bigger.

If you want to ride something new, over 155 cc's.....you can get a lot more bike for your $ if you shop motorcycles, rather than scooters.

I'd  love to add an upright, naked 300cc motorcycle to the garage....and I'm no kid.

Stig
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:48:35 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 02:52:54 AM »
It seems to me that it'd almost be more fair to compare the Forza to the Rebel 500. They're priced close to each other, the Rebel 500 actually weighs slightly less, and they get about the same gas mileage.

Only the Rebel produces 46hp instead of the Forza's 24.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 04:10:23 AM »

Piaggio BV. 350 sport  ABS   ASR  6,546 Km. ,   33 Hp.  29 Kmpl ,  top speed 160 Kmph  ,   16 " wheels front 14 " wheels back
  just installed Dr. Pully sliders there were rollers in there from new,   someone said there were sliders from the factory, not so,  I will be 85 in 3 weeks , and in Yam. Maj.  Gene from S F.  Cal. will be 91,  and has a new Piaggio 350 B V  so you young guys have lots of years to go,   

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
Looking at 300's don't forget the yamaha Xmax.  It's getting good reviews, but I'd probably go for the BV350 in that class myself.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Scooter or motorcycle
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »
Motorcycle....
There are what, 2 scooters in the 300 class in the USA - a new Kymco and a discontinued Forza. Next step is up a couple of thousand dollars for the two 400's. Then prices get stupid if you want to go bigger.

If you want to ride something new, over 155 cc's.....you can get a lot more bike for your $ if you shop motorcycles, rather than scooters.

I'd  love to add an upright, naked 300cc motorcycle to the garage....and I'm no kid.

Stig
But that under seat storage though. To me that tips the scales in the scooters favor and justifies the cost. Am I being rational? Maybe not.  But the ability to go riding for no reason then being able to make an impulse purchase and be able to take it home with me under the seat says scooter. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:36:58 AM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()