Author Topic: Had a “flat tire”  (Read 946 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Had a “flat tire”
« on: January 26, 2018, 03:26:20 AM »
Hello guys. I REALLY appreciate you all allowing me to share my NON SCOOTER stories since I’m no longer riding since my accident . (Still hoping to do so again one day) . Last week I had a “flat left tire”. (I BROKE MY PROSTHETIC FOOT) . I  was disgusted because it was only 7 months old. But like a Scooter tire, high mileage and aggressive use wears them out quickly. I read the “spec table “ and found that while my tire has a 3 year warranty, my tire was rated for 2 MILLION “load cycles “. Well, I bought a pedometer to keep track of my walking and found that between walking around at work and walking for exercise and other activities after work, I average around a little over 10,000 steps per day! At that rate, I reach my 2 million load cycles in 200 DAYs,!!

I also read that I need to remove the cover and INSPECT it monthly for signs of de lamination which is a sign of imminent catastrophic failure. ( I compare it to sidewall cracks in a tire) .
I also need to me mindful to not exceed the “load rating “of 220 pounds for more than a short distance. I weigh 173. So carrying a battery , case of oil, 5 gal bucket of waste anti freeze etc. shortens the life.

Also, as with tires, “ aggressive use” (jogging/running/hiking on rough nature trails,) shortens the life span of my “tire”.

I feel like a piece of machinery. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Had a “flat tire”
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 04:17:47 AM »
Hey, Forbes, keep those stories coming. You are such a treasure on this forum that you can talk about anything you want - you've  certainly earned that right.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:36:04 AM »
 Yeah, I would think that the bending, squatting, pushing and pulling at work would add to the wear rate. I guess that maintenance is the key for all of us. LOL. Remember how great it is to be able to wear that foot out. Keep smiling.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
Hey, Forbes, keep those stories coming. You are such a treasure on this forum that you can talk about anything you want - you've  certainly earned that right.
Thanks

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
Yeah, I would think that the bending, squatting, pushing and pulling at work would add to the wear rate. I guess that maintenance is the key for all of us. LOL. Remember how great it is to be able to wear that foot out. Keep smiling.
Oh yes. It’s a great “problem” to have. I read the posts on Facebook on the Amputee Coalition page where many amputees who had their amputations before mine are just LEARNING to walk again. Others can only wear their prosthetic leg for a couple of hours a day. So I’m truly blessed.

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »
Say Forbes,
My other brother Darryl was wondering....if you'd walk backwards could you roll back the wear cycle, like the "good one owner Pinto with only 12,ooo miles" on it down at Bubba's Live Bait and Tackle Auto Emporium?
10,000 steps a day?!! Start small....maybe 1000 backwards ea day?
Stig
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 04:03:52 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
hey Forbes
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »
I am really surprised to learn that prosthetics wear out that quick. I thought they lasted for years.
Would a "blade" last longer and could you use one?. I don`t know much about them but, I assume a blade has no moving parts to wear out.
Is it the fiberglass part that fits over the leg that is the problem?.
Glad to hear you are out and about. Hope you can enjoy riding again someday.
boo
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »
Everything has a service life, even our bodies and mine is fast reaching it's limit. The reply from our moderator should have given you a laugh, wonder who writes his lines.... So has the, not to ride again, question been put to rest once and for all? It's your choose , I know. One thing about the prosthetics, you can get more when they wear out. Glad you've made a good recovery. Hang in there, enjoy your post.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Had a “flat tire”
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 11:58:42 PM »
I am really surprised to learn that prosthetics wear out that quick. I thought they lasted for years.
Would a "blade" last longer and could you use one?. I don`t know much about them but, I assume a blade has no moving parts to wear out.
Is it the fiberglass part that fits over the leg that is the problem?.
Glad to hear you are out and about. Hope you can enjoy riding again someday.
boo
Actually a blade is specifically for running and is of very little use in daily life . I guess it can be compared to a racing slick. Lol
Here’s a link to  foot that I have. It goes inside a somewhat realistic looking foot cover.
https://professionals.ottobockus.com/Prosthetics/Lower-Limb-Prosthetics/Feet/1C63-Triton-LP/p/1C63

It’s actually the low profile edition of their heavy duty line of feet. I use the low profile edition which allows enough room to use a vacuum pump suspension system even though  my stump is relatively long ,

The average life is SUPPOSED to be from 3 to 5 years for th feet. The part that attaches to the leg has a similar lifespan. But it seldom is used that long because the stump shrinks for several years and changes in other ways. So the socket has to be changed for that reason.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:05:55 AM by Forbes1964 »
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
Everything has a service life, even our bodies and mine is fast reaching it's limit. The reply from our moderator should have given you a laugh, wonder who writes his lines.... So has the, not to ride again, question been put to rest once and for all? It's your choose , I know. One thing about the prosthetics, you can get more when they wear out. Glad you've made a good recovery. Hang in there, enjoy your post.
No, it hasn’t really been finally decided. I don’t really have to deal with it for now because my yearly medical out of pocket expenses have been 5,000 each of the last  two years. I expect it to be between 3-5 grand for the foreseeable future. So until I get by budget balanced for that expense, the decision is made for me. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 12:12:05 AM »
Say Forbes,
My other brother Darryl was wondering....if you'd walk backwards could you roll back the wear cycle, like the "good one owner Pinto with only 12,ooo miles" on it down at Bubba's Live Bait and Tackle Auto Emporium?
10,000 steps a day?!! Start small....maybe 1000 backwards ea day?
Stig
Hmmm.... might be worth a try. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 12:48:12 AM »
What if you supplant the sole with a horse shoe?  ::)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 01:02:55 AM »
What if you supplant the sole with a horse shoe?  ::)
Well, I have been called a stubborn animal that’s closely related to the horse. [emoji23]

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »
Well, I have been called a stubborn animal that’s closely related to the horse. [emoji23]

Then you must know my brother in law! ?

(Mr Forbes, you are a caution )
Stig
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:38:04 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()