Author Topic: 2017 Kymco Like 200i  (Read 1100 times)

BrissyPlumber

• Kymco Like 200i
    • View Profile
2017 Kymco Like 200i
« on: January 22, 2018, 01:52:16 AM »
My 200i Like has just hit 5600KLMS and has suddenly developed a shudder upon take off from a standing start, it does it whether I take off fast or slow....any ideas?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Kymco Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:15:11 AM »
I would lightly sand clutch pad surfaces to remove glazing. Also clean clutch bell which contacts the clutch pads.
Look for any grease or oil which might have migrated onto belt, pulleys or clutch pads, bell surfaces.
Some riders advise this: hold on rear brake ....rev engine for 5 seconds to unglaze clutch pads. I do not advise abusing your drive system like this - and at best is only a temporary fix.
Glazed clutch pads, or something unwanted on belt or pulleys will cause take-off shudders. Not likely a wrong sized belt causing sudden problems, nor a problem with the roller weights at this mileage.
Seems like a friction surface problem. Should be a simple fix after you get into the belt area. Have heard of oil seal leaking, getting oil on a friction surface...or grease flung there.
Tell us what you find; move off shudder is a fairly common complaint....and an easy fix.
Stig
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:19:23 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BrissyPlumber

• Kymco Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:25:06 AM »
Thanks very much Stig for your help, I tried the applying the back brake and reving for a second or so which sorted the problem for a short period of time, the judder has now transpired into a small wheelie when the drive finally grips so I think I'll strip it down this weekend and have a look, good time to replace the spark plug and clean the air filter as well, again thanks for the advice

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:42:25 AM »
That same thing happened to mine. I believe it was the slower starts and lower speeds during the break in period that contributed to the glazing in such a short period of time. I also replaced the rollers at around the 2500 mile mark, as they were showing flat spots. I replaced them with Dr. PULLEY 13.5 gram sliders. After cleaning the clutch and installing sliders, everything was smooth for another 5k miles.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:34:35 AM »
Good point LidoCA,
Also, if this is the first time off with the CVT cover - you might find it righteously stuck. Member Vespbretta in Austria offered a good tip to removing cover : tap on some pry points from behind, by poking a tool through the wheel from the muffler side. Pushing cover off, to get it started - rather than only prying.
Try to be gentle with the cover gasket....I also add a little something on the cover edge so I don't have to go through THAT again next time.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BrissyPlumber

• Kymco Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »

This is what happens when you rev the scoot and apply the back brake, rubber dust all over the drive belt chamber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrissyPlumber

• Kymco Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »

This is what happens when you rev the scoot and apply the back brake, rubber dust all over the drive belt chamber

The clutch pads are glazed after 5k

BrissyPlumber

• Kymco Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »

The drive drum is glazed and full of dust, no wonder the scoot judders on take off

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
BrissyP,
Thanks for the pictures!
I've only been inside a Honda Forza, Suzuki Burgman and the LIKE200I a couple of times - but each time I  found the same fine blackish dust coating things as seen in your pictures. It is quite normal I think. I never did the brake/throttle thing to clear the clutch judder.
It will also be found inside with the roller weights.
No idea if it is road dust, belt dust, roller or clutch pad dust - or a combination of all - but it is always there after a few thousand miles.
Crisp throttle on take-offs helps the clutch lock-up soonest, minimizing slip & glazing....but not always it seems. Lots of Burgman guys deal with it every day.
Perhaps it's down to weather, road surfaces, rider,  engineering and materials used by each manufacturer?
BTW, your clutch pads look to have a lot of miles left on them.

Stig
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:07:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »
I would say, that would be belt dust.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 06:19:38 PM »
I would say, that would be belt dust.
That's kinda what I always thought it was, too. But, it's not clutch material.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
When I had the Like. I found applying a little more throttle at take off masked the symptoms until I could open her up to clean. That dust gets every where.

BrissyPlumber

• Kymco Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 01:55:49 AM »
Hi to all, thanks very much for your help, scoot put back together, judder now gone, all good for a few thousand ks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()