Author Topic: Will this damage my Kymco?  (Read 1260 times)

kymchi916

• View Profile
Will this damage my Kymco?
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:00:38 AM »
I've been getting a code 4 on my 2012 Like 200i. I've learned that the CELP is for TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I read in a post that replacement of the throttle body will be the cure.

I was wondering if continued riding with the bucking & stumbling of the scoot cause damage?

I'm hoping that it'll be OK for me to keep riding it while I order the part and make time for the repair. 80-90% of the riding is at 50mph where the stumbling/bucking does not occur.
2012 Kymco Like 200i

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Will this damage my Kymco?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:26:25 AM »
Hello, I am one of the members that had this problem and I replaced the throttle body myself (it's a snap to do). I still rode mine while waiting for the part. It does seem that the error shows up in the middle throttle speed range and the scooter ALWAYS starts. Don't buy a used part on E-bay unless the price is really good or they will sell you only the ECU without the injection body. The ECU is the fault but is not sold separately from the distributor. It is about $240 new.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

kymchi916

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:37:08 AM »
I just recalled that the onset of this code came about after riding until the gas was near completely out and then filled up to the base of the neck. Then I rode it for a couple of weeks with no stumbles until recently when I filled it up to the base of the neck again! (I tend to learn my lessons the hard way)  :-\ The stumbling/bucking seems more prominent than the first time.

My assumption is that my gas filling mishaps caused the bucking/stumbling and CELP.
2012 Kymco Like 200i

kymchi916

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 05:23:06 AM »
Don't buy a used part on E-bay unless the price is really good or they will sell you only the ECU without the injection body. The ECU is the fault but is not sold separately from the distributor. It is about $240 new.

Thanks for your input!

Is this the right part? Compatible?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kymco-Like-200i-200-7571-Throttle-Body-Assembly/362159147914?hash=item54525e0b8a:g:8nwAAOSwBkRaC0wH&vxp=mtr
2012 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »
Well, you can try a used throttle body unit... but usually there are no returns permitted if it is also bad.
Yep, suspect a bad TPS.....I tried all sorts of remedies including venting fuel cap, cleaning tank and cannister hoses and valves, fuel pump, fuel injector, spark plug, coil, plug wire and plug cap....nothing removed the stumble.
Started great, ran fast great - but big mid speed stumble.
Replaced throttle body unit under warranty - no more issues!
It DID seem to be very hard on the scooter cvt and engine to let it stumble so severely. ...so I parked it until fixed.
Please keep us posted on your experience.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kymchi916

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »
I'm not sure if I should start another thread with this question. But...

Where exactly is the TPS located? Is it within the throttle body? In the CDI?
2012 Kymco Like 200i

kymchi916

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
UPDATE

I made an attempt at investigating my TPS issue yesterday. Upon getting under the seat we realized that a secondary hose from the air intake was disconnected. Also, the mouth of the intake hose was deformed/pinched and didn't look to have a good seal around the throttle body.

-Hoses were corrected
-CEL was reset via throttle method and disconnecting the RED (+) battery terminal
-CEL still persist

2012 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 10:33:20 PM »
UPDATE

I made an attempt at investigating my TPS issue yesterday. Upon getting under the seat we realized that a secondary hose from the air intake was disconnected. Also, the mouth of the intake hose was deformed/pinched and didn't look to have a good seal around the throttle body.

-Hoses were corrected
-CEL was reset via throttle method and disconnecting the RED (+) battery terminal
-CEL still persist

In my experience nothing except a new throttle body/TPS unit cured the bucking. Nothing....
The new throttle body unit fixed it ....and the stumble/bucking issue has never reoccurred.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »
The TPS is contained within the ECU box. When I replaced mine I cut open the old ECU and found the TPS component. It is a bell crank style potentiometer that tells the ECU at which level the throttle is open. The ideal would be for Kymco to sell the ECU alone but that's not the way it comes. I think it's obvious that the 2012 year models had problem with this part.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 01:58:28 AM »
The TPS is contained within the ECU box. When I replaced mine I cut open the old ECU and found the TPS component. It is a bell crank style potentiometer that tells the ECU at which level the throttle is open. The ideal would be for Kymco to sell the ECU alone but that's not the way it comes. I think it's obvious that the 2012 year models had problem with this part.
Well done blue !
  Mine was assembled in 2012 as well.
Never put it down to a model year parts bin fault.
2012...sold as a 2013.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

kymchi916

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 04:40:16 AM »
It’s been 10 days since installing an ECU/CDI that I purchased on eBay for $50. No bucking/stumbling has happened since.

But... a new code has shown up. It’s one long flash, followed by one short flash. Anybody know what that CELP code is?
2012 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 01:17:33 AM »
It’s been 10 days since installing an ECU/CDI that I purchased on eBay for $50. No bucking/stumbling has happened since.

But... a new code has shown up. It’s one long flash, followed by one short flash. Anybody know what that CELP code is?
When you say ECU/CDI, are you meaning the "throttle body assembly" was replaced? (part #16100-LGS6-M30 )
Or were you able to purchase the black box part off of the throttle body?

Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

kymchi916

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 05:01:09 AM »
When you say ECU/CDI, are you meaning the "throttle body assembly" was replaced? (part #16100-LGS6-M30 )
Or were you able to purchase the black box part off of the throttle body?

Thanks, Stig

I replaced the black box part only.
2012 Kymco Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »
I replaced the black box part only.
Wow. Hardly ever see those for sale separate from the throttle body. Actually,  kinda surprised it worked - but good for you!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()