Author Topic: Oil Filters  (Read 2047 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Oil Filters
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »
If I recall correctly, you need to be angry when you're freezing it, since Equifax allowed half of America's information to be stolen and you have to pay them to freeze it.

Regarding Craigslist, I'm personally especially wary of anything there since it seems to be rife with fraudulent activity. Accepting cash or buying anything always feels like playing a terrible lottery.

I was curious as to how the Paypal scam works, so I looked into it a bit. It sounds like the usual way it works if for people to send you bogus emails claiming that you received money or sending you to fake copies of the website to steal your information. Evidently they can also claim that the transaction was unauthorized, and you can't dispute it if there's no shipping information.

That last one is especially incredible -- Paypal is actually aiding in the theft.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
I reckon I'll have to use on line shopping sooner or later. It seems to be putting old, established stores out of business. Sears, Macy's, Kohls, to ,emtion a few. The latter two aren't gone yet, but they are reeling. Amazon has set it's sights on Walmart. Oh these computers are gonna be the death of us all.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
Scary indeed, but I have had a Visa card for 50+ years and believe (!) that Visa will accept my word if I find a charge I didn't make. (My subsequent research says the credit card company must accept our word on that issue.) That plus I wouldn't pay them for the bogus charge, anyway. What can they do to me? Cancel my card? That is not in their best interest. Threaten my 800+ credit rating? Turn it over to a collection agency? Not unless they want to defend a law suit, a suit I would love to bring against them. The recent Equifax hacking debacle actually makes me feel better about using my card because the credit card companies are now on very shaky ground since their business partner (Equifax) has carelessly given away the personal, supposedly  "secure" data of 150 million accounts. That's gotta be everybody, or damn near everybody, in this country with a credit card. There is a very large probability that your data and mine are now in the hands of the hacker(s). What to do? Watch your account like a hawk, freeze your credit. Not use your card? Too late, your data is almost assuredly out there...in the hands of a thief.   
2009 GV 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 05:16:29 AM »
stuo, you are scaring the mess out'a, me. You are right, of course, but just hearing it again is scary. I'm tellin you guys again, these computers are gonna take us all down...
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
Can you use the visa cards and add the amount of money to cover the cost.  I'm talking about the cards they sell at Walmart

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 01:42:16 AM »
I work at Visa. It's not the credit card company you deal with it's the bank. Banks will place a hold on any disputed billing. Just simply call your bank and they will investigate. If it is in fact a fraudulent charge the charge is removed. If they have evidence that says otherwise they will provide proof you made the purchase.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
If they steal my identity, they’ll give it back. [emoji23][emoji23]. But in all seriousness, I just try to use reasonable caution. My bank has been good so far. They called me when they saw an ATTEMPT at someone trying to make a charge from ENGLAND and froze my card. Other times they’ve called to verify if certain purchases were legit. When one of them wasn’t. They canceled that card and issued me a new one.
Life is dangerous . Scammers are out there. But such is life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 01:12:01 AM »
I just spent 10 minutes typing this reply and before I could make it to the post button Norton cut in and I lost it all. I hate it when they do that. Grrrrrrrrr

Anyway, you guys will be proud of me. I ordered three items off of Ebay the other day, Got one today. It is fast and cheap. I hope Ebay is as safe as you guys say it is. I looked all over for a Clymers manual for my 4 wheeler and there were none to be found. Everyone said, "we'll order you one: for $35. Got one one Ebay for $26.07 and got it in 2 days.

Looks to me like law enforcement could do something about those scammers.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 09:55:38 PM »

"I work at Visa. It's not the credit card company you deal with it's the bank. Banks will place a hold on any disputed billing. Just simply call your bank and they will investigate. If it is in fact a fraudulent charge the charge is removed. If they have evidence that says otherwise they will provide proof you made the purchase."

The above from troutbum, and to verify his statement: my bank (Chase) recently called me to question a suspicious charge on my debit Visa card. Sure enough, it was bogus, I had been scammed! The bank immediately refunded the $200 the scammer had managed to withdraw, cancelled my card and mailed me a new one.

The bank will trust you unless there is evidence to show you did make the purchase or the charge, says my local branch manager. He also said that it is not a matter of "if" you will be scammed, it's "when", because virtually everyone gets scammed eventually, but if you catch it in a timely fashion, or the bank does, your money is returned, the charge denied.

So...let's worry about something else, like North Korea nuking us.
2009 GV 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 12:53:55 AM »
Glad to hear your bank was on top of your cc activities and made you whole.  8)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
Heck you can freeze your credit on transunion as well.
Far as cards online go, I use my debit card strictly at ATMs, & mostly use cash locally.
I use a credit card online, but never a debit card.  Much easier to reject a card, or cancel it and sideline it while I fight the bank if they're dumb 'nuff to push it.
I also don't use paypal unless I must, & wouldn't give them your debit card, much less mine.  I keep 'em setup with a credit card.  They periodically whine about that.  I periodically smile & then ignore them.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()