Author Topic: Came off my SMAX last Sunday  (Read 1117 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Came off my SMAX last Sunday
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
 Riding around on a Sunday afternoon. I turned into a parking lot driveway. A combination of taking the turn too wide, a wet driveway, and a panic jackknife when I saw a car approach, caused me to dump the bike. 5 mph turn. I went over and bike slid out. It was a Nothing accident. Except for the fact the the bike caught my foot and turned it while going over it. Both bones in my lower leg shattered when my foot turned over. The bike landed on my leg. Thankfully, the driver of the nearest car in the parking lot pulled it off.
  Its so amazing that the nothing slide caused so much damage. I knew immediately, that my leg was broken. (My foot turned the wrong direction was a clue). The bone did not break the skin. The doctors repaired the smaller bone with pins and rods. I am waiting for the swelling to go down in the next week or two, so they can repair the larger bone. It's amazing that they can drill rods into your bones and run another through your foot as a holding place for the bones. Currently, I look like they are building a high rise on my leg.
 While I was waiting that day for the panic to recede. I couldn't help thinking about what Mr. Forbes went through. Your attitude and faith over your circumstances helped out a lot. I am truly thankful for your inspiration.
 I have gone over the cause of the crash in my head. I am not sure about the details, as it happened so quick. Bare minimum, I let my guard down.  Stay safe brothers and sisters.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Came off my SMAX last Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
wow. Things can happen so quickly. I guess that's just life. But at any rate, I'm sorry for your injury. Hopefully you will experience a near full recovery. Glad if anything that I've said and done was helpful or encouraging to you. Stay strong. Lord willing , you'll be back full force. Be Blessed my brother
2009 Xciting 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
Ouch.
Glad it wasn't worse.  Heal well, & keep us posted.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »
Glad you are ok and it is amazing how much damage you can still get at a low speed.  Years ago the front of my scooter slid out going slowly around a corner and I went for a short slide on the road and even at that slow speed I tore through my jeans and lost some skin and was only wearing cheap gloves and had bruised palms.   Some people wonder why I wear good protection now (it's the "you are only riding a scooter not a motorcycle" way of thinking) but the lesson was learnt that day.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 10:24:36 PM »
Glad to hear that you came out none too worse for wear. Those driveways that are raised above the road surface always give me the willies. Especially if you must make a quick turn out of traffic. Get well soon! ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:45:27 PM »
Sorry for your misfortune. Those things just happen. I hope you heal up quickly.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 11:59:38 PM »
Oh, crap that hurts! Forbes has been a guiding light for us all. When you feel better tell all how you would have done it differently.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 11:52:46 PM »
Just really saddened to hear this Lido.( I turned my cell off after reading your first lines.)
Sorry for your accident.
Dang, that sounds painful - then and now, probably.
You know that you are in our thoughts and prayers - and that we hope the best for your recovery. Please keep us advised of your progress.
---------------------------------
If or when you wish to respond.....
I'm unclear about how your injury occurred ?
Like this ? - your scooter tipped to its side and your foot on that side was trapped and twisted under the side of the scooter? (this frequently seems to be the cause of such lower leg injuries in a scooter crash . )

In any event - Lido thank you for sharing this with us.

(recently told myself, "that was really stupid!" - ....I decided to turn  into a BP station, over their high lip, in the rain, at night, with following traffic accelerating behind me across 4 lanes from our stop light. I credit Michelin for gripping over that greasy lip and blind luck - for keeping me upright.
"Never do THAT again, dumbhead!!"
 That, too, could have been a low speed slide-out.
Still learning here.

Take care buddy.
Stig

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:09:33 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 04:03:49 AM »
 Sting.
 I believe the scenario that you described is what happened. The bike was sliding and the foot rolled as the bike went over it. I just remember thinking, I should spin my body or my leg is going to........shoot.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »
Prayers and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery to you. What a difference a tiny bit of bad luck and wet pavement can make. I feel so bad for you, and grateful for you sharing this so that we might recognize a similar circumstance in the future on our own rides, and avoid them if possible. We all learn so much from each other. Get well soon!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 02:32:23 AM »
Sorry to hear about the wipe out, but glad you're okay. I wonder if slow speed crashes can cause as much damage because the force of the bike's direct weight is focused more downward, instead of deflected laterally as a bike may slides at higher speeds?

We tend to learn from our experience -- good or bad. Having the ability to do so is always the best. Stay strong and heal quickly.

- Wolf

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 12:06:26 AM »
  Well, I am walking now, as well as riding my bicycle for a few miles a day. It's a start. Its great to be off the couch after 2 surgeries and almost 4 months. I do not know if I will set off the airport metal detectors or not with all of the hardware in my leg. I washed both scooters the other day. I will order the two plastic panels that were scratched from Yamaha. (It is cheaper to order new plastics than to have them painted. Go figure.) Getting ready to ride in a couple of weeks if I can assure my keeper that I am capable. Family can be quite vocal in their opposition to two wheelers after coming off. I have watched too many YouTube videos since I have been home bound. I have come to the conclusion that my getting hurt was such a freak accident. I wore all the gear, but still......stuff happens.
 I was apprehensive to get on my bicycle at first. I will be apprehensive on my first scooter ride. The Like was my first scooter. I have enjoyed over 12k miles on it. I can't wait.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:02:06 AM »
Good to hear you're back up & around Lido.

Sometimes weird/bad stuff happens, on four wheels or two.  Glad ya survived this one.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »
Glad you're doing better Lido, truly.
Yeah, weird stuff happens. Falls cripple people. Slow speed slips on a scooter.
A wrong step off of a curb had me limping for months.

The very first day I worked up enough courage to ride my scooter to and from work on city streets, I witnessed a HD fall on a young, small, female rider.
I had nearly made it home -"safe !" - on my first day.....and 1/2 mile from home, there she lay, pinned under that new Harley (paper plates) at my final intersection. She stalled on the tiny incline at the cross street, it rolled back and fell over on her. She had enough chrome bars to avoid big injuries - but it scared the heck out of her. We rolled it over to a safe area, and she called some friends to come ride it home.

SPEED - it seems to me that most accidents have a major helping of too much speed in them. Youtube....
Simply put: even with the stupid thing they were doing - if they'd been doing it while riding slower - things wouldn't have ended so badly.

Well....I still wonder how the guy that rode that big bike off the wall and fell head-first into that boat is doing.
He surely didn't do that on purpose.

Stuff happens.

Glad you're mending there, friend.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »
Glad to see that you’re up and about. Being limited as to what you can do and where you can go is no fun, especially if you’re an outdoor person. As for the metal detector, I’ve just resigned myself to the fact that they are going to have to pass the magic wand over me every time I walk through a courthouse door. Haven’t flown yet since I’ve gotten the metal leg. But I suspect it will be the same ritual. Lol.

Continue to improve, and be careful. You should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()