Author Topic: Big wheeled scooters ??  (Read 1157 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Big wheeled scooters ??
« on: August 30, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
 Buongiormo,

Vespa has been running on little wheels for decades with good results, even while touring at speed.
No argument there.

I have but two routes to get out of my neighborhood for my coffee stops. Both ways involve sections of road littered with frost heaves every 25 feet - one for a distance of 1/4 mile, the other for 3/4's of a mile.

Now, on a 5,000lb* Burgman these heaves are barely a tickle to the suspension - but on the LIKE200eye these bits of road are punishment to the panels. I'm afraid I'm going to knock out the filaments of all my bulbs! I can go slow, and bang along; or fast - and bang along.

But, at 40mph on a big wheeled (16" & 15") Piaggio I can fairly skip over these miserable sections. And perhaps that is why Piaggio has sold 900,000 of this type of scooter in Europe? (Roman roads could be suspect now that J. Caesar has become a salad dressing.)

Really, it's just a matter of fizziks.
Addio,
Stig
*not a typo

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:01:20 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Big wheeled scooters ??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »
I'm sure you didn't mean a 2 and 1/2 ton burger??? Weight does make for a smoother ride. My SW was very good on the ripples, about the same weight as a burger 650. The only thing is, as the wheels become larger they begin to blur the image of a scooter. scootercyclish comes to mind. The wheels on your new gal and the people are fine, but don't need to get any bigger in MHO. cheers
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »
Yea a rub it in as we gotta stop and walk the bar ditches looking for our fillings. Looks mighty high brow to me you Italian Stallion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:16:28 PM »
I'd sure like the opportunity to ride a scooter on the Apian Way !
Would that be the sort of thing for a bucket list ?
Yes, I have a strong preference for the 'big wheelers', too !
Tiny tires are just brutal when navigating the potholes fails.
redk

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:04:35 AM »
Questo è un dato di fatto. vespa ha avuto una misera tempo alla vendita di quelle piccole ruote su quelle strade lastricate in Europa

Ciao,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:04 AM »
I went a had a look at a Kymco Agility 16+  and it felt quite comfortable sitting on it and I like a lot of it's features including the 16" wheels.  For it's price (3,595 AUD) it's pretty good value and also it's the 200 model with the 163 engine so would give me a little bit more power than my 125 Like.  I do get to feel the rough roads around here with my Like.
http://kymco.com.au/agility16200i/

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:01 AM »
Nice bike,
Looks a lot like the People S available in other markets so thinking it's just a rebadge of that.
If so it also has a 150I variant that would be pretty competitive with the Liberty 150.

I've long thought that most folks would like, possibly prefer, the bigger wheeled bikes if they gave 'em a try for a couple days, particularly if they have some rough roads in their area.

I went a had a look at a Kymco Agility 16+  and it felt quite comfortable sitting on it and I like a lot of it's features including the 16" wheels.  For it's price (3,595 AUD) it's pretty good value and also it's the 200 model with the 163 engine so would give me a little bit more power than my 125 Like.  I do get to feel the rough roads around here with my Like.
http://kymco.com.au/agility16200i/

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
I've long thought that most folks would like, possibly prefer, the bigger wheeled bikes
The problem with big wheel scooters is that there's no room on the floor for freight.  I can easily carry50lbs of bulky stuff on my flat-floor.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:23 PM »
Not sure how much flatter the floor on my HD, or S200 could be.
The Liberty and most of the People series are as well.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:27:12 PM »
The Kymco Agility 16+ 200i has a flat floor and the Piaggio Medley and Liberty are similar.  Maybe not as much floor space as a 12" wheeled scooter but as long as I can hang my shopping bag if need then that will do.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 07:06:16 AM »
Not just some shopping on the hand-bag hook!  A flat-floor, small-wheel scooter can carry really serious loads. I can easily carry 75lbs of tools and parts on a flat-floor Sento.  That's what they're designed to do.  A small Kymco can carry more than any Vespa simply because of the floor!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
Not just some shopping on the hand-bag hook!  A flat-floor, small-wheel scooter can carry really serious loads. I can easily carry 75lbs of tools and parts on a flat-floor Sento.  That's what they're designed to do.  A small Kymco can carry more than any Vespa simply because of the floor!
I only ever saw one of the early People Kymcos. It was at my dealers.
Little mint green job. Disappointed -- could not really get my size 14 shoes on the floor. Not all big wheelers had roomy floors.
 a LIKE has a dadgum table down there!
My Liberty was a pleasant surprise. ...the 2018 is bigger than previous models and works great for me.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()