Author Topic: shipping a scooter - advice ?  (Read 2047 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
shipping a scooter - advice ?
« on: July 26, 2017, 10:31:35 AM »
Good morning
Last night I received an offer on my Burgman 400.
This sale would most likely involve shipping the bike 2,400 miles.
Is this even feasible?  Would price be prohibitive?
Anyone with previous experience?
Advice appreciated.
Thx Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: shipping a scooter - advice ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
Good morning
Last night I received an offer on my Burgman 400.
This sale would most likely involve shipping the bike 2,400 miles.
Is this even feasible?  Would price be prohibitive?
Anyone with previous experience?
Advice appreciated.
Thx Stig

I would be real disinclined to do anything until the check is way more than cleared.  There are a lot of scammers out there, & the cost of shipping that far is probably a substantial chunk of the value of the bike.  I'd take a look at CL for the purposed destination just for fun and see if the numbers line up at all.

http://haulbikes.com/ will give ya a quote.  you may have to fudge things a bit but you should be able to get at least a rough idea.  I suspect you'd be in their $600 zone (they discount during the winter usually but this ain't winter).

From the poking around I did trying to go from Seattle to Florida they're par for the course or a bit better than most, & seem to have a reasonable reputation.

Best luck
Tromper
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
There is a business called U ship . I used them to ship my tractor to me from New Jersey to Tallahassee, Florida. They are a third party group who gets independent shippers to give you estimates. I found them to be convenient. They were recommended by eBay.
https://www.uship.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »
Ride it and take the bus back.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
Don't get scammed, Stig!
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
Yea, Stig. Be careful. I don't know how bad you want to sell the burgman, but I would try to sell it locally. I would not ship it,until you know you have every penny in your possession. It's a shame,but you really can't trust anyone these days.

Rich

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »
I believe that sites like e bay and pay pal are places where one can more easily avoid getting scammed both as a purchaser and a seller. Also,  it may be more secure if the BUYER makes shipping arrangements. And you release it only after the payment has cleared or is safely in the hands of a REPUTABLE third party such as pay pal. When dealing from a distance, much caution is required.

2009 Xciting 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »
Stig, if the person really is in the Seattle area and a local contact could be helpful for something, PM me.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 05:38:37 AM »
There is a scam which is quite active recently, involving mention of ebay and shippers.
Be very cautious.
redk

Yes, they had hooked me.  and I did give a little of my personal info.
My kid said, 'Google it...  the name...'  I did, and it was indeed a nationwide scam.
I turned it in to the FBI.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »
Upon further thought, it is somewhat suspicious that a man would be willing to purchase a Burgman from half way across the country when they are likely several more within a couple hundred miles or so of him. Any savings would likely be consumed in shipping costs. I'm not saying that he's trying to pull a scam. But be very cautious and use several safeguards.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:10 PM »
Stig, if the person really is in the Seattle area and a local contact could be helpful for something, PM me.
Great idea! [emoji1474]

2009 Xciting 250

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 01:42:29 AM »
Upon further thought, it is somewhat suspicious that a man would be willing to purchase a Burgman from half way across the country when they are likely several more within a couple hundred miles or so of him. Any savings would likely be consumed in shipping costs. I'm not saying that he's trying to pull a scam. But be very cautious and use several safeguards.

First thing I thought, too. Why wouldn't he look for a nice dry bike down in California? And the onus is on the seller to arrange all the shipping? It stinks. Let me guess...he wants to send Stig a bank check for the cost of the bike, plus cost of shipping, plus a little more just for the trouble. Run!
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
First thing I thought, too. Why wouldn't he look for a nice dry bike down in California? And the onus is on the seller to arrange all the shipping? It stinks. Let me guess...he wants to send Stig a bank check for the cost of the bike, plus cost of shipping, plus a little more just for the trouble. Run!
It reminds me of when I had my Truck listed on Craigslist. I made it clear that the truck was running but was in ROUGH shape. A guy from several hundred miles away wanted to buy it IMMEDIATELY, sight unseen . When I asked him when he wanted to look at it, he stated that he didn't have time but simply wanted to send me a check and send someone to pick the truck up later. I don't remember the details because I tuned him out. But I knew that no man in his right mind would be in such a rush to buy a piece of crap truck sight unseen hundreds if miles away when I'm sure there were many piece of crap trucks much closer to him.

2009 Xciting 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »
In defense of the interest.
Burgers are actually somewhat popular in the PNW, at least enough to keep the used prices from completely tanking, & Stig's bike is pretty nice.
If looking for a late modem Gen 2 400 it's actually low miles well maintained for the area.
Aesthetically, I prefer it to any others I see on CL, or Cycle Trader locally.

These things can be legit.  I bought a bike in FL from Seattle, it does happen but as noted by many, myself among them, scams are very common, & the scammers are scum, but that doesn't mean they're not clever scum.

The key thing to remember in these transactions is to do all the legwork to verify the other party, and make sure the $$ is 100% yours before sending merchandise.

There are a few different ways to get paid that don't involve a possibly stolen or cancel-able check.  Paypal and the like.
There are escrow outfits for this sort of thing as well, just don't use one proposed by them unless you can verify it's 100% on the up & up, that's a common scam, dig around and find one that's legit  and long pre-exists the transaction
All of those options have their downsides of course, normally cost vs. just taking a check, sometimes time (escrow) but there is a level of reliability there that could make them worth the cost.

It reminds me of when I had my Truck listed on Craigslist. I made it clear that the truck was running but was in ROUGH shape. A guy from several hundred miles away wanted to buy it IMMEDIATELY, sight unseen . When I asked him when he wanted to look at it, he stated that he didn't have time but simply wanted to send me a check and send someone to pick the truck up later. I don't remember the details because I tuned him out. But I knew that no man in his right mind would be in such a rush to buy a piece of crap truck sight unseen hundreds if miles away when I'm sure there were many piece of crap trucks much closer to him.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 09:47:07 PM »
In defense of the interest.
Burgers are actually somewhat popular in the PNW, at least enough to keep the used prices from completely tanking, & Stig's bike is pretty nice.
If looking for a late modem Gen 2 400 it's actually low miles well maintained for the area.
Aesthetically, I prefer it to any others I see on CL, or Cycle Trader locally.

These things can be legit.  I bought a bike in FL from Seattle, it does happen but as noted by many, myself among them, scams are very common, & the scammers are scum, but that doesn't mean they're not clever scum.

The key thing to remember in these transactions is to do all the legwork to verify the other party, and make sure the $$ is 100% yours before sending merchandise.

There are a few different ways to get paid that don't involve a possibly stolen or cancel-able check.  Paypal and the like.
There are escrow outfits for this sort of thing as well, just don't use one proposed by them unless you can verify it's 100% on the up & up, that's a common scam, dig around and find one that's legit  and long pre-exists the transaction
All of those options have their downsides of course, normally cost vs. just taking a check, sometimes time (escrow) but there is a level of reliability there that could make them worth the cost.
True. Caution is key. And make sure he arranges shipping from his end. That way he has some skin in the game too. As mentioned earlier, I bought a tractor on E bay from 900 miles away. I arranged the shipping. And I paid using pay pal. The owner seemed very forthright concerning issues with it. And I knew the price was low because it was a model where the parts were hard to get. The owner also gave that as one reason he was selling it. So everything passed the "smell test"

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()