Author Topic: 2009 Xciting 500 RI abs ECU codes  (Read 2594 times)

gwdoiron

• View Profile
2009 Xciting 500 RI abs ECU codes
« on: July 22, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »
I have a 2009 Xciting RI ABS.  It was not charging the battery, so I ordered the stator and regulator assembly.
Pulled the bike apart and did the stator and regulator replacement.   Bike appeared dead when I attempted to start, had to replace the 30A fuse beside the starter relay.  (Something *must* have happened while doing the repair, but I don't for the life of me know what).
Then the bike was throwing two ECU codes (O2 sensor heater out of spec, Ignition coil out of spec.)
Thought it was kind of weird to have two failures, but when I checked them against the spec in the repair manual, sure enough they were outside the listed acceptable range.
Ordered a new O2 sensor and Ignition coil.  Replaced them, bike is still throwing these two codes, can't reset the codes with the procedure in the manual.
Looked at the schematic diagram and saw that the ECU pin #1 ground was common to both sensors.  Measured from pin 1 to the ground connector on the ignition coil, came up with <1 ohm. (Using a Fluke 87 meter).   Checked again from pin 18 to the ignition coil firing connected, again < 1 ohm.
At this point, the new sensors seem to check out fine, which is why I suspected the wiring harness.   Is the procedure for resetting ECU codes in the Cyclepedia service manual incorrect?  Is there something else I should be checking?  Or am I looking at a new ECU?
The bike DOES start, however the check engine light turns on.
Thanks,
Glenn
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:29:43 PM by gwdoiron »

MJR

• View Profile
Re: 2009 Xciting 500 RI abs ECU codes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
Did you check all the fuses even if they don't seem related?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »
Just went out and checked all the other visible fuses:  6 in the fusebox, and a glass fuse behind the battery in an inline holder.  All meter out OK, and the ECU isn't dead, so the 30A fuse I replaced is also still ok.
Additional information:  When I finally re-installed the right side crankcase cover, I wanted to turn the engine over and listen for abnormal noises (before putting the exhaust on and using the gaskets), so I disconnected the ignition coil via the quick connectors from the main wiring harness (as I didn't want to have flames belching onto the garage floor or to hear the exploding gas.)  At the time the O2 sensor was not connected (the exhaust pipe was in my stack of parts to put back on my bike).  This is when I discovered the blown 30A fuse; at the time, the O2 sensor, ignition coil, and oil pressure sensor connectors were all dangling, and possibly the new generator wasn't hooked up as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:27:50 PM by gwdoiron »

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
SOLVED - LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES
I have been using the 10-second off, 10-second on, 5-second off throttle pattern to try and reset the ECU codes.
I succeeded in getting the rest to perform AFTER I pulled out a stopwatch to time the throttle periods.
The ECU is pretty picky about the duration of the first two periods of time, I was counting it out in my head and it wasn't working.

The most likely explanation is:
* The ECU sensor problem checking hardware probably only checks for an open circuit (or short circuit to ground).  The O2 sensor and coil were likely already out of the service manual's tolerance range.
* When I turned the bike over without the O2 sensor or coil wired up, the ECU saw an open circuit and latched the fault codes.
* The service manual LIES about ECU code storage -- error codes are NOT lost when the battery power is removed.  If this were the case, the codes would have cleared when I yanked out the battery.  They must be stored in nonvolatile memory.
* Timing of the first 20 seconds of performing the ECU code reset procedure is critical, use a stopwatch.
* I most likely spent $120 for an O2 sensor and ignition coil that didn't need to be replaced yet.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 01:30:14 AM »
Great post! Very informative. Very analytical. You have surpassed very nearly ALL dealer techs. The fact your machine now works properly is the proof!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 03:31:29 AM »
My MyRoad clears active codes once the problem has been repaired, it likely stores codes but that won't affect operation at least on the MyRoad. It's a somewhat better system than my Suzuki B650's that clear codes after 1-2 seconds of the key being turned off. Glad you got it sorted
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()