Author Topic: Napa Valley Vacation  (Read 3650 times)

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Napa Valley Vacation
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
And lastly my wife will complain there's no room to haul stuff she's gonna buy on the scooter.

That could save you some money or she could just have to store ship it to your home. I'm glad I have a couple of times brought one of my B650's to Utah and Colorado for riding though I didn't get a whole bunch of riding in. It was nice to have from running around town also.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »
Dan, sounds like you have worked yourself into one big bundle of in indecision. As you said, these types of vacations don't come around all that often, so forget the cost and let it all hang out.. Strap your wing on a hitch mount, get in the truck and fly. You can get a pet carrier that straps on your chest and Deb could dump Toby in one and let him ride between you. They even make little googles for doggies. Sounds like a plan man, whatda you thing?? Don't worry, be happy.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »
Mac, you're a hoot and I like how you think. I think though if I pick the scooter for this trip that it would be the Kymco. I'd like to try out one of those hitch carriers like the Black Widow. However, not sure I'd feel comfortable having a #550 pound Maxiscooter on a hitch mount carrier? My BW is a little over 300.

If we were doing long rides I'd trailer the SW but I suspect we'll do shorter rides. However, the real litmus will be if Deb is ok sitting on the back of the BW? As for Toby, our little fur ball,  just being with us is joy joy to him. Been looking at pet carriers too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:29:12 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 12:00:49 AM »
However, not sure I'd feel comfortable having a #550 pound Maxiscooter on a hitch mount carrier?

No way in hell I would trust one with any of my bikes (B650, MyRoad, Atlantic 500) on one besides all but the Atlantic are over 500lbs and the tongue weight on a class 3 hitch while rated to 600 lbs I seem to recall most OE vehicle hitches recommending only 500 lbs.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 03:37:52 AM »
IMO, best option would be to do a bit of scouting now, from the PC, and then do some calling to arrange a rental of  some sort of 2 wheeler for a day-ride at some destination of your choice.
redk

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
Saw this on another m/c forum. Guy dragged his bike 4 blocks before seeing on his backup camera on his RV. He said the bolts broke on the carrier. If the scooter goes I suspect it will be trailered as much as I don't want to wag one. The ramps look intriguing but have never used and awfully big to fold up and carry. Since I already have a dedicated motorcycle trailer with rock shield, it makes sense to use what I have. This way I can take the SW instead of the Kymco if I want as the trailer also handled my Goldwing previously and is a very easy and safe way to transport.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »
That's a damn shame but that is why I wouldn't trust a bike on one of those carriers. What I would really like is a three bike trailer where you can haul one in the middle or two on the sides and possibly three if you have room. And they fold up, maybe stand up for storage.

http://towsmarttrailers.com/products/motorcycle-trailer-california?gclid=CL6KtOqxqdQCFYlqfgodUzgKow

'14 White MyRoad 700i

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
Dan, just about everything is a liability is some way, or another...

I recall, years back, when an elderly couple retired and took their MH on their Dream Vacation touring the states. They towed some sort of small honda car behind their Class A. They could not see the towed vehicle in their mirrors...

Somewhere in Idaho the car being towed got a flat tire, unknown to them, and spewed sparks along the highway for about 60 miles before  it was brought to their attention by another motorist.
Then their troubles began...

The sparks created a huge forest fire and the state sued them for millions, attaching their home and everything else they owned.
They did not feel they should pay, because it was their life's work.
Idaho felt different.

Today, we have rear view cameras...

Dan, I seriously dislike indecision due to lack of options.

If you find yourself in my part of California, without having rode the coast of the Pacific, send me a PM and I will loan you my Helix so you can take your bride and Toby for a day ride on the scenic coast.  Gratis.
The scooter is sound, AFAIK, and although I can't advise freeway riding, especially 3 up, it would be dandy on the PCH.
redk

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:32:55 PM by Redk »

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 04:09:11 AM »
Hey Dan I'm serious about the chest pet carrier. Its a fish net looking thing and you can sling a small dog in and it straps around your neck and back. I'll bet Toby would love it. You would block the wind off of him and he'd feel safe up against mama. We used one on our Gold Wing with our Peek-a-poo.
You know, on second thought, maybe the SW on a hitch mount might be a bit much especially after dark. On low beam every body would be flashing you to dim'em and Hi-beam all you could see would be the tree tops, scare the mess out of a bunch of coons and squirrels. Oh well, back to the drawing board??????

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 02:44:25 PM »
Have you considered maybe renting a scoot or m/c for your coast hwy ride? Might be fun. I'll be glad when you get started so we can all stop helping you worry about what to take. As long as you don't forget to take Deb and Toby, you'll be Okay. LOL Rebel on bro.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »

If you find yourself in my part of California, without having rode the coast of the Pacific, send me a PM and I will loan you my Helix so you can take your bride and Toby for a day ride on the scenic coast.  Gratis.
The scooter is sound, AFAIK, and although I can't advise freeway riding, especially 3 up, it would be dandy on the PCH.
redk

This is such a nice gesture red, thank you so much.

After much thought I have decided to not take my scooter on our trip.  We've trailered scooters before but always on a trip where we'd have a base camp so to speak and stay awhile and get in some good rides. This is mostly a traveling vacation where we're always on the move to our next destination as it will offer very little ride opportunities. The hassle factor of trailering the bike is more than I want to deal with considering the limited riding we might squeeze in. We talked about a future trip to the Texas Hill Country in South Texas where we might take Toby and the SW. We're been there before on our Goldwing and really enjoyed it. We usually stay Fredericksburg which is about 350 miles south.

Great ideas guys about renting a bike and also about the pet sling. We may get the sling just for walking around and shopping as that's my wife's favorite part.

I'll still post up the trip as it unfolds as departure date is presently set for July 5 and return around the 26th. Kinda excited to see northern CA. as I've never been despite having lived there for over 10 years.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
I recall, years back, when an elderly couple retired and took their MH on their Dream Vacation touring the states. They towed some sort of small honda car behind their Class A. They could not see the towed vehicle in their mirrors...

Somewhere in Idaho the car being towed got a flat tire, unknown to them, and spewed sparks along the highway for about 60 miles before  it was brought to their attention by another motorist.
Then their troubles began...

The sparks created a huge forest fire and the state sued them for millions, attaching their home and everything else they owned.
They did not feel they should pay, because it was their life's work.
Idaho felt different.

You see, this kind of thing would just never happen in Scotland. The constant fine mist of drizzle makes it impossible to initiate such a conflagration.

Redk

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 03:19:29 PM by Redk »

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »
Left out yesterday and made it to Tucumcari, NM, around 600 miles. Got take out from the best and only Mexican joint in town; Lacita's. Found the best coffee in town and chatted with a biker. Interesting collection of scraped airplanes in front of coffee shop.  Friendly place.

Nearly to Flagstaff today. Originally planned to make it to Kingman, Az however nearly 20 degrees hotter than Flagstaff and I need to get in a walk today. Sitting all day driving really stoves me up. Tomorrow should make it to San Fran.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 12:13:30 AM »
Looks mighty hot but pretty!
FWIW, the locals don't like their city called "San Fran". They prefer San Francisco or The City. Be prepared for cool weather in The City.
Enjoy!
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD