Author Topic: 25% Wearing Gear  (Read 2193 times)

big blue

• View Profile
Re: 25% Wearing Gear
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 05:07:35 PM »
As a matter of fact, just yesterday I saw a guy on a Buddy 125 riding along in traffic wearing a bicycle helmet and shorts w/flip-flops. Oregon is a must wear helmet state so he'll get tagged some day. I was thinking though that his bike beanie might actually be better protection than those barely DOT blitzkrieg helmets that the chopper guys wear.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
It's hot here in Texas but I try to stay protected...

Open face helmet with a peak
Mesh jacket
Deerskin gloves...deerskin is WAY cooler than other leathers or synthetics
Jeans
Tennies

Slow and go traffic is the worst when it's hot and that's where scooters really shine over bikes...

Upright riding position keeps you off your wrists
Auto tranny is a blessing
Motor location and body panels keep the engine heat at bay
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 04:37:30 AM »
It's hot here in Texas but I try to stay protected...Slow and go traffic is the worst when it's hot and that's where scooters really shine over bikes...Upright riding position keeps you off your wrists...Auto tranny is a blessing...Motor location and body panels keep the engine heat at bay.
We experience the same thing here in the Boise valley...many days over 100 during our summer, but riding the scooter is still much better for all the reasons you listed. At least we don't have much humidity here (typically 10-20%), which is a real saving grace.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
We experience the same thing here in the Boise valley...many days over 100 during our summer, but riding the scooter is still much better for all the reasons you listed. At least we don't have much humidity here (typically 10-20%), which is a real saving grace.
Boise - dry air??
I thought the only time the rain stopped was so the fog could roll in ?
Wait...maybe I'm thinking of Oregon.
Idaho Oregon....same thing to mid-westerners. North west, someplace.
You have taters, we have corn. Same diff - starch.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
I ride to work especially during the summer when I'm not taking the kid to school. I'll go with a helmet and gloves and even a jacket, but beyond that no.

I think the focus of either ATGATT or full blown flip flop squid  kind of helps keep riding on two wheel smostly a hobby in the US. If you look at people going to work on scooters in Taiwan, they're not in full leathers and kevlar jeans.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »
Boise - dry air??
I thought the only time the rain stopped was so the fog could roll in ?
Wait...maybe I'm thinking of Oregon.
Idaho Oregon....same thing to mid-westerners. North west, someplace.
You have taters, we have corn. Same diff - starch.
Stig
It's confusing to us, too, Stig. Idaho is really many different states in one:
1) OreIda - SW Idaho and eastern Oregon. Very dry and desert-ish.
2) North Utah - eastern Idaho with direct links to the whole SLC area.
3) IdaWashaho - northern panhandle area that identifies more with eastern Washington than with lower Idaho.
4) The Great Unknown - the whole central part of the state, inhabited mostly by pine trees, bears, elk, deer, and other wildlife that only see humans when they go to the river for a drink.

See, it's really quite easy. Of course, out West here we find that all the midwest states kind of blur together into one big conglomerate.  ;D
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »
Yep, drove thru Taderville a few weeks ago heading from Oregon to Utah on 84. Yep, hot-n-dry. Just the way taders love it.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »
The seasons and weather set the tone a lot. When commuting I always wear my armored riding jacket, gloves (no matter what) and full face helmet. In the summer, because we're on heatwave number 7 I may wear shorts, or jeans if the AC is cranked on where I'm teaching, and sneakers too. On the hot days I also have to bring a change of shirts cause I'm slathered in sweat when I arrive (even at 7 am in the morning - it's the humidity that gets you.), and I arrive early to have some time to get cleaned up and change.

If I have to teach in more than one place I may not wear the jacket whenI get on my bike again if it's a jaunt across town. I know, it's risky, but I often won't have time to wash up and change when I get to the next school. It's ride, park and run to my class. I'm super vigilant then, but crossing my fingers all the way too. Love riding in the Fall, late Winter and early Spring when I can be fully kitted out.

Nothin's better than feeling like an armored badass.

- Wolf

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »
Yep, drove thru Taderville a few weeks ago heading from Oregon to Utah on 84. Yep, hot-n-dry. Just the way taders love it.
Unfortunately, that's about all most people will see of Idaho - the dry desert yuckness. So many beautiful areas to the north, but you have to get off that stupid slab (I-84). Almost as if the road engineers said, "Let's find the most desolate, god-forsaken area of Idaho and put the road there."
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »

Nothin's better than feeling like an armored badass.

- Wolf
[/quote]

scooter larper! lol ;D
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »
Dan is a lucky fellow !