Author Topic: Another use for impact gun  (Read 798 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Another use for impact gun
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:02:59 PM »
I purchased a Sears ion battery powered 1/2" impact gun for removing the axle nut on my LIKE200i a few weeks ago.
Even with a cheater pipe on a breaker bar I was having no luck getting that factory installed nut off.....nearly tipping the scooter trying.
Put that Sears gun on the axle nut and it popped it right off with no drama!

Last w/e I replaced an element in an electric water heater. Same story.....cheater pipe on a breaker bar was not working on that ancient 1.5" head on the element. Put the socket on my Sears gun....bam it came right off. (TIP: if you relieve the pressure in the tank, and in the hot water line, then CLOSE all the lines - you can pop out the bottom element and slip in the new - with very little water spilled. Like keeping your finger on top the straw full of water vs taking off your finger. Some water comes out but not in a gush. Grandpa taught me this.)

My daughter said she paid a plumber $180 to do this.  I told her I'd have to charge her a bit more ...since it was a Sunday..
($12 for the Lowe's element and $45 ea. for 4 wire nuts. ;))

Scooter tool from Sears paying for itself....and like Gramps said, "Spend a few bucks & save a lot of aggravation." Gramps was an electrician for 45 yrs at Wright Patterson AFB. (he showed me stuff like how to check for current with the back of your hand & how to skin and cook a snapping turtle....both of which used to make my Grandmother get loud...)

Stig
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:23:44 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Another use for impact gun
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:46:56 PM »
I have found many uses for my impact gun. A couple of weeks ago I had to use it to break a 32mm nut to replace my daughters front wheel bearing. Would not budge with a wrench and cheater bar! A few years ago a lady had traffic stopped to allow a snapping turtle to cross the road. A good old boy in a pickup truck picked the turtle up by the tail and threw it in the back of his pickup. He said "Thats going to be some good eatin'." Then he just pulled away leaving that lady with her mouth wide open. Priceless!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »
I usta have a wagon fulla tools, some special purpose, some hand-made by me. Did not touch them all everyday but they were there when needed and I could actually find them!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »
Working in the mechanical trades, it was usually wise to buy the best tools to get the best job done efficiently.

As my skill set increased and my efforts were better directed towards general repairs, the number of tools required increased a lot.

I have learned, with few exceptions, many of the cheapo tools from the discount vendors will get the job done, good as any other.

It is easier and quicker to pay for an inexpensive tool than a high priced, top quality tool.

I still buy tools online, and use vendors that allow search filters for most popular, and a user rating system.

Odd things tend to go defunct on cheapo tools, and you must be prepared to qwik-fix a button for a switch,
or duct tape a cover plate back in position...   lol

Critical internal parts for our top name brand tools are sourced from the manufacturing giant and suffer nearly the same failure rate.

Best
redk

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 04:05:15 AM »
Praise be to Harbor Freight! This week I bought a 1/2" drive 120volt 7amp impact wrench at HF for $40, regularly $50.  After fifteen years use the old one finally wore out and that was from HF, too. Let's hope Mr. Prez, The Donald, doesn't put huge tariffs on China's exports.
2009 GV 250

Ricksride

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
Before Harbor Freight came along, it used to be either yard sales or pawn shops.
Of course at pawn shops you had some recourse for bringing it back in case it didn't work.
Picked up an electric impact by Milwaukee for $65 one time. Still have it. Not only has it paid for itself but changing snow tires back n forth over the winter sure is fast as well.
No air required.  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()