Author Topic: Replacing Reflectors with LED ones  (Read 787 times)

MJR

• View Profile
Replacing Reflectors with LED ones
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:06:30 AM »
I posted this in the 700 forum but I'm posting it here also as this can be done to any scoot for better visibility especially at night. I've done this upgrade on my Burgman 650 before so here it is on the MyRoad 700i. There are some better ones available now for less money I used here. I have replaced all the reflectors with 2 way LED lighted ones, most recently from eBay. They are all wired to light when the bike is turned on, each of the side lights flash brighter with the respective turn signal, and the rear one lights brighter with the brake lights. This will be a standard install from now on for all my scoots.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111868810698?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111868811212?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111868811252?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's a video link on how they work, might not be as visible during the day but great at night.

On my Burgman 650  I also added this really cool lighted license plate frame from Radiantz. I got the black one with amber turns. It has LED's for the license plate (white) and I added a resistor and two diodes so the brake light also works as a running light. I will added it to the MyRoad and my other bikes as I can afford but I put in the wiring for it while I was in there.

https://www.radiantz.com/Real-Flex-Plate-Frame-3-p/00180-lp.htm
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

rfs2growup

• View Profile
Re: Replacing Reflectors with LED ones
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »
Greetings from Colorado!

I know that this post is over a year old, but great information! Thanks. I have purchased the side and tail lights for my 2009 Kymco Xciting 500R, but have yet to install them.

A question. On your side markers & tail light, did they work without modification or did you experience the "hyperflash" issue common with mixing incandescent and leds? If so, did you have to install resistors for each light? Was the factory flasher unit up to the task?

If possible, some detailed installation and wiring details would be great. I know that there are others on the forum that would greatly appreciate this information.

Thanks! George T.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 02:31:50 AM »
Greetings from Colorado!

I know that this post is over a year old, but great information! Thanks. I have purchased the side and tail lights for my 2009 Kymco Xciting 500R, but have yet to install them.

A question. On your side markers & tail light, did they work without modification or did you experience the "hyperflash" issue common with mixing incandescent and leds? If so, did you have to install resistors for each light? Was the factory flasher unit up to the task?

If possible, some detailed installation and wiring details would be great. I know that there are others on the forum that would greatly appreciate this information.

Thanks! George T.

Hi George. The MyRoad came with factory LED's for the brake and turn signals so I just added the additional lights. The flasher works fine with them. The only thing I notice different are the indicators on the dash for the turn signals stay on a little dim when they are flashing instead of turning off completely. I simply spliced the additional wires into the factory wiring where accessible. When I get around to adding the license plate LEDs and maybe another set up front that could change but I don't know.

On my Burgman 650 when I converted to LED bulbs and added the other lighting I bought a constant flasher from Superbrightleds, https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/car-install-supplies/electronic-led-flasher-relays-for-motorcycle/787/842/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=LF1-S-FLAT&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIism816HD3AIVx2F-Ch2cLgImEAQYBSABEgJBePD_BwE . One of the advantages of LEDS is their lower current draw (which can be used elsewhere) so adding resistors to draw the same current rather than just changing the flasher seems a bit odd to me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:33:35 AM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »
You know, I've been looking at this post, and your excellent photos, and I'm seriously considering switching from my 3/4" Eagle Eyes to the 2" round reflector lights you show. It's a really clean, crisp look, and it almost looks OEM. The only factor that's keeping me from doing it is that the Eagle Eyes are noticeably brighter.

Thanks for making this post MJR!
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()