Author Topic: REMOVING BOTTOM COVER TO CLEAN?  (Read 1238 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
REMOVING BOTTOM COVER TO CLEAN?
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:04:38 PM »
I want to clean the plastic part underneath the bike and in the front where the rad is.  Can I take those parts of easily without having to take apart the whole front end of it? Just looking in my book here and it is to overwhelming to understand. 

Thanks,
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:18:36 PM by Nireen »
Kat :)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: REMOVING BOTTOM COVER TO CLEAN?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »
  I just use a hose and brush,  do not use a preasure washer on the RAD!!!! it could bend the fins,   taking rad cover apart is a PITASS,.  the plastic plugs break,, taking apart is easy it is putting it back together, the plugs break,  push on one side and the other side breaks,.  the back end not to bad  best done when you change the tire it cleans easy then, 

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
Hi Nireen. To remove the plastic covers on the bottom side. It has "Push Pin" fasteners and inter locking groves. Take a small knife blade and work it under the center part of the push pin and pull out. That unlocks it so that you can pull it out. To reinstall you just place the pin assembly  in the hole with the outer rim flush with the surface and then push the center pin all the way down. The body panels are attached with Phillip's head screws and inter locking hooks and tabs. One word of warning: Always work in a warm place or outside when it's warm, otherwise you run the risk of cracking the plastic or "tupperware" as it's often called. Do not force anything or you could break off the the locking hooks and/or tabs. Pay attention to where the screws came from, because they are not all the same size. What I do to make sure the same screw goes back into the same hole is this.: I take a thin piece of cardboard and draw a rough sketch of the part being removed and place a dot where screw goes and as I remove the screws, I push them thru the dot on my sketch. That trick works well for any part you are removing,ie Air filter cover, belt cover and etc. A lengthy explanation, I know, but I hope it will help you. your fellow scooterist.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:50:03 PM »
Thanks to you both!  Mac tell me than I take it I don't need to remove the front cover first?  I can just take of these bottom pieces to clean up thoroughly.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
You can only get to the back side of the radiator from the bottom. Like de dee said just spray some water into the front of the radiator,low pressure, or the fins will get messed up. You can also use an old toothbrush, very gently, to remove all the little bug thingies.. I wouldn't worry too much about a little dirt in spots your can't see, cause as quick as you clean them, they will dirty again. It is important to keep the radiator open for good air flow. Ride on scooter friend.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 07:35:28 PM »
sorry confused.  So can I take of the bottom parts without taking of the front panel?  I would like if I can to clean inside of the panels that is in front of the rad as shown and the bottom part. 

:) Thanks.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »
I am out in some pretty crappy weather here in Canada and the bike needs a real good going over. So if I can do these bottom pieces inside and out than that would be wonderful but if I have to take of the whole front end than forget it.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 01:05:21 AM »
To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with it. I'd just spray water in there to rinse it and call it a day.

and my scooter is already on 47000kms, daily rider thru the tropical heat and monsoon seasons.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Well if it is not a big job to take it off I am willing to do it.  Not sure but it looks like my book is telling me I have to take of the whole dang front of it to get to that bottom piece???

To be honest, I wouldn't even bother with it. I'd just spray water in there to rinse it and call it a day.

and my scooter is already on 47000kms, daily rider thru the tropical heat and monsoon seasons.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 04:29:52 PM »
you do not have to remove front (around head lights) to get the bottom pieces off. As kneeslider said
really no need to take that apart, just to clean unless you just have time to kill and want to see what's in there. I took mine off because I was fabricating highway foot pegs, as the operators area is a bit small on the DT. I had ti find some steel under there to attach HW bar set up

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
OK awesome :D Gosh I missed that answer.  I must read more carefully!

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 06:14:10 PM »
Well I must be blind than cause I see no where Kneeslider said that I did not have to remove the front to get to the bottom. :) Any way all OK I am pleased to know now I don't have to!  Maybe next winter project. Thanks a bunch :)

you do not have to remove front (around head lights) to get the bottom pieces off. As kneeslider said
really no need to take that apart, just to clean unless you just have time to kill and want to see what's in there. I took mine off because I was fabricating highway foot pegs, as the operators area is a bit small on the DT. I had ti find some steel under there to attach HW bar set up

Mac

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 01:17:34 AM »
I think I am blind too, and dumb, as I also do not recall saying that.

:o

Well I must be blind than cause I see no where Kneeslider said that I did not have to remove the front to get to the bottom. :) Any way all OK I am pleased to know now I don't have to!  Maybe next winter project. Thanks a bunch :)
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »
He He, the blind leading the blind.  :D

I think I am blind too, and dumb, as I also do not recall saying that.

:o

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »
Hey DeDee,

It is possible if they do break to replace it with something better to secure it. Another nut and bolt type thing?
Thanks,

Kathryn.

I just use a hose and brush,  do not use a preasure washer on the RAD!!!! it could bend the fins,   taking rad cover apart is a PITASS,.  the plastic plugs break,, taking apart is easy it is putting it back together, the plugs break,  push on one side and the other side breaks,.  the back end not to bad  best done when you change the tire it cleans easy then,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()