Author Topic: City Grips or Power Pure SC ??  (Read 3753 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
City Grips or Power Pure SC ??
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:43:04 PM »
Michelin web site is recommending a set of POWER PURE SC's for my LIKE200i.

I have enjoyed a set of Michelin City Grips for nearly 12,000 miles. These tires were purchased after recommendations from several respected KYMCO forum members who ride in the wet.

As a daily commuter, in all weather conditions, the City Grips provided a secure ride to an from work.
However, I no longer ride my scooters in the rain....so I am leaning towards a new set of Power Pure tires.
The PP's do have a much less aggressive sipe pattern....putting down less gap and more rubber on the road.

If you're pretty much a dry or damp road urban rider - what do you guys think ?

Set to order a new set of some kind of Michelin's this week.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: City Grips or Power Pure SC ??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:54:12 PM »
Also very interesting street tires are:

Metzeler Feelfree
Heidenau K80 SR

Why only consider Michelin´s?
Especially the Heidenau K80 SR could be a perfect alternative to the Power Pure and the City Grip as well. Long lasting tire with good grip. V-shaped form instead of u-shaped form.
Very good test results.

Description of the Heidenau K80 SR
http://www.tyrepress.com/2016/01/heidenau-launching-new-scooter-tyre-range/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 05:49:04 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »
If I were you, of the two, I would try the Power Pures. I recently had to make the same decision but I chose the City Grips mainly because  I  commute daily in the rain and weather.  You cant go wrong with either really.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:10:06 AM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
If I were you, I would think about the Heidenau K80 SR. Same qualities as the Power Pure concerning Handling and Grip in dry and wet conditions, except the milage which is probably way better with the K80 SR. Expected to be over 10.000 Miles.
The Power Pure is of course an excellent tire, but imho it´s more a racing tire with softer rubber compound in general, despite the 2CT technology. I fear you will never ever get somewhere near 12.000 Miles with that tire. But I like the thread design very much though. Looks cool. ;D  8) And the brand-name "Michelin" on a bike sounds probably better than "Heidenau".  ;D
The new Michelin Power 3 seems to be similar to the Heidenau, but is not available in our size needed.

All tires we are talking about are more or less in the scooter reference class. You can´t be wrong with any of those tires. And more than good enough for our riding skills - I guess.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Haarek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:44:58 PM »
I have the Power pure on my Downtown and love them. Unfortunately I haven't tried the city grips so can't do comparison. What I can say is that the Power Pures was an enormous improvement over the stock Maxis tires that came with my scooter. The new tires grip very well in the wet, gives lot of confidence while cornering and as far as I can tell pretty hard wearing.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:43:05 AM »
Not quite the same scoots, but probably closer to your Like than to my HD200 or former 200S

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic141890
Some interesting commentary.

I've done well with City Grips on three different bikes, but have given a thought to the pure power when I eventually go through the grips.

Cheers
Tromper
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:53:51 AM »
I have the PP on my rear and it has 5K miles on it I love it never used city grips but as you know I'm a daily all weather rider the PP will likely be getting moved here shortly to my other bike as the Like is gonna be in pieces for a long time after wreck last friday
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »
I have power pure on the front of the downtown, and city grip on the rear ,. both work well.,  power pures on the yager- frost,  that's all that is available,.  in that size,.   the city grip is the best for less. $ 48.95  150-70 13 my rear tire

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()