Author Topic: Should I buy Michelin City Grips?  (Read 2231 times)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Should I buy Michelin City Grips?
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:12:59 PM »
Its getting time for me to replace the front tire on my trusty Honda Helix. The OEM Bridgestones are expensive and I know Michelin has a reputation for producing a quality product. I have found a size of Michelin City Grip front tires that will work on my scoot. Are they a reasonably safe tire to ride on the front? How is the longevity? Wet road performance? My Helix will top out at about 75 MPH and I sometimes cruise at 70 for extended periods. I ride it year round in all but the most insane weather. Thanks for any input you experienced folks could give me. I am kind of on the fence here.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

blue

• View Profile
Re: Should I buy Michelin City Grips?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 12:42:03 AM »
I ride all year long also.and I have been sticking with Kendas.they have a good tires.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 01:37:51 AM »
Personally, I plan to go with Michelin Power Pure SC when back tire gets to wear indicators. These are reported to have dual compound with the harder stuff in the tread center for better long distance wear. I DO NOT LIKE Maxxis. I am skeptical about chinese tires in general. The Kumho that are standard on KIA are the worst ever seen.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 03:30:46 AM »
I have a Power Pure SC on the rear of my Like and I love it and will be putting a Power Pure on the front soon. I had expressed the thought that some said Power Pures aren't as good a City Grips in the rain to several friends and the response was "I don't know what theyre talking about they work great". Not that we try to ride in the rain lol but I'm a daily driver.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:19:06 AM »
I read some comments and ratings that rated the city grips as a great all around tire for longevity, grip, and handling. The consensus was that the power pure handled somewhat better (not much), but their longevity was not quite to the standard of the city grips.  When I bought my xciting 250 , it had a half worn city grip on the rear. I got an additional 5000 miles out of it. I then put a power pure on it. But I traded the scooter before I got a chance to see how long they lasted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »
If they meet the weight and speed specs I'd go with 'em.
I've only used 'em on (3 different) big wheel scoots, & think they're great.
Save for one person who used right size, but not rated for the bike's weight on a burger, I haven't heard anyone say anything awful 'bout 'em.
Of course different bike than I ride so your results may vary.  Don't try this at home kids.  Caveat Emptor.  Carpe Diem.  Carpe Carp etc.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()