Author Topic: This vs That Different Makes Included  (Read 3560 times)

FnMag

• View Profile
This vs That Different Makes Included
« on: October 08, 2016, 11:46:58 PM »
First of all, thank you all for providing me with hours and hours of research aids in the pages and pages of threads posted here !   :o

I'm sooo confused now as to what I want & need that I can no longer lurk and am asking for help deciding. By posting here, you kinda tell I am leaning Kymco, and I know there is a bias, but I also know a lot of you have more than one make of scoot.

I'm a big fella at 6 foot and 300 pounds (on a diet, but it took 40 years to get this weight, hopefully doesn't take that long to get off), my current commute is 7 minutes by car. I currently ride a Suzuki DR650 that I am trying to sell before buying a scoot.

I leave my 25mph neighborhood onto a 2 lane 45mph road. About a mile or so.

I turn onto a 4 lane divided road that is 50mph (more like 55) for a long uphill of 2 miles and then down for a 1/2 of a mile before turning into another neighborhood (30mph) for 2 miles. Then I park and walk a 1/4mi into work (employee parking lot).

I can get out of riding the 4 lane that circles town by going thru all the neighborhoods, but it is about 5 miles longer and instead of 2 lights and 2 stop signs it's a bazillion. I leave when the sun is rising, so darkness is at play as well.

Locally, I have a Powersports dealer that carries H, K, S, Y, Victory and that new slingshot thing. They're assholes and I won't buy anything from them.  I also have the old kawasaki dealer that only carries mostly used bikes and Kymco. They are both about 3 miles from home. The next closest scooter dealer of any kind is 89 miles away. There, I can get anything:  Vespas (not my price range), SYM, Lance, Genuine,  Piaggio, tao-tao & wolf.

I'd really like a kymco solely on the fact that  the dealer is close. I dont care about ordering stuff online, I do that everyday. But some things, I just don't know how to fix/warranty issues, and I don't own a truck ( can get one to bring home if I go 89mile route or it's going to have one hell of a "drive it like I stole it" break in period).

I really like the classic scooter look. I can deal with some of the fancier ones, but prefer the classic. I really don't want a maxi-scooter. I can supermotard the DR for a whole lot cheaper if I wanted that.

Here are what I like:
   Like200i
   Buddy 170i
   Stella
   Fiddle III
   Havana Classic
   Buddy 125   (am I too big for this? Size 13 shoes!)

See anything there in common >?  :-[
Here are the next group:
   Super 8 150x (I'd get flat black - no weird graphics for me)(am I too big for this? Size 13 shoes!)
   HD200 evo

And now, here is what the Kymco dealer close by has in stock:
   People 250s $4800 otd (a little past what I want to spend)
   People 200s $3400 otd
   People 150  $2900 otd
   Agility 125  $2475 otd
   People GT 200i that I can't remember price on because it was passed what I want to spend.

Again, (am I too big for this? Size 13 shoes!)

The only new one in that group is the Agility - 2014. The rest are all 2009.....   Yea, prices seemed steep to me too..  But he is sticking to them. I don't really care for any of these. He says he can get me anything I want, but with his prices on 2009s, I'm not sure I want to know what kind of markup he's going to hit me with.

So, after all that, based on me and my likes, would you say that the Like200i is going to fit my needs? I know it's going to do 55 maybe 60 and that's great, but will it do the 50 uphill with me on it? Will one of the smaller 150's that go faster serve my purpose? Will my giant feet fit on the floor boards? I did 1157 miles on a stock DR650 seat in 4 days, I don't wanna hear about the Like's seat !  :o

Thanks Everyone,
   Mike

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: This vs That Different Makes Included
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 12:15:35 AM »
IMO, and just my .02 , all except the HD200 and the P250 are underpowered for you.
Both have big wheels and the HD200 is the fastest of the 200 and unders.

Is the P250 NOS? That's a bullit proof proven motor as is the SYM 200.

Good luck with the choice!

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

FnMag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 01:19:06 AM »
IMO, and just my .02 , all except the HD200 and the P250 are underpowered for you.

AMAC
None of them have more than 10miles on them.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 03:03:06 AM »
I'm 6-2 with size 12 shoes.  I currently have a 2009 Super 8 150, Yamaha Majesty, Versys 650 and KLR650.   I use my Super 8 for commuting around town and ride it most days.  It has plenty of power around town even if I put my wife on the back.  Combined we weigh much more than you do.  The new Super 8 is a completely different scooter although I think it's the same motor.  I had the chance to sit on one today.  It felt pretty comfortable and there was plenty of room for my size 12 feet.  However, like many of the scooter out there the bars hit my knees if I turned them more than a small amount.  This is a common problem I have with a lot of scooters.  I'm 6-2 with a 34" inseam.  This could probably be fixed by changing the bars. 

Personally I like my old Super 8 much better than the new one.  I currently have over 24,500 miles on mine and I ride it pretty hard.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kymco however right now nothing in their lineup appeals to me as a replacement for my Super 8.  If they were still selling the Movie 150 I would seriously consider buying one.  I think there may still be a few new ones left out there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:41:26 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »
The People models are all great, reliable scooters, but do tend to have small floorboards that might pinch your size 13 shoes. For someone your size, I would say don't go smaller that the Like 200, the P 200/250, or the HD 200. His prices are pretty steep for 2009 models - my 2007 was only slightly used when I bought it at $1800 OTD. Just my .02 cents worth. Good luck!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 07:50:54 AM »

AMAC

I concur with what he says above and the Like is not a 200 cc motor, I think it is a 160 cc.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

tastroman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »
No, the Like 200 will not hold 50mph with you on it going up hill if the hill is either long or steep.

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
I've owned a couple of the Kymco 161cc scoots because they are near bullit proof and loved them
The down side is max speed on the flats of Florida is about 58/GPS on a good day. Just the way it is with my 130 lb body aboard.

On the other hand my 171cc SYM RV200 will max out at 76 mph/GPS and cruise at 65-70 without issue. I've never lost speed even up the steepest hills, bridges here. Also a near bullit proof motor.

That said , and I'm a SYMs lover, I'd be a little concerned about the state of the dealer network here in the US.

IMO the P250 would be a good fit but not at those prices. Way too high.
I'd also be hitting CL hard for a good used ride.

AMAC
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:15:31 AM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
Here's an idea of how high the Kymco prices are. Check this dealer out and they know how to ship anywhere. I've also foud a couple of GT300s in Florida for about the same. Compare the price for a 2015 DT300 compared to the 2009 P250.

http://www.heinenmotorsports.com/kymco.html

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »
I own a Kymco People 150. It is a wonderful bike but I do not think it would maintain the speed you need pulling hills. Mine slows to 45 on long steep ones and I weigh around 220 with gear. Like others have stated, you need to look at more cc's than 150. I bought an  Honda Helix for faster riding. Best of luck to ya!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

tastroman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
 You should be able to find some used KYMCO 250-300cc scooters in your price range in the used market if you are willing to go there. I occasionally see various carbarated 250cc KYMCO'S for sale <$2000 and the fuel injected 300cc KYMCO'S for< $3000.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
For what it's worth, my two bits on whatcha gots there is
For your commute you want something that'd going to be comfortable, & be able to easily maintain your speeds & accelerate with your generous dimensions.
To me that means the smaller bikes would be out unless you must have a certain look to feel OK riding.

- The S200 is a great little bike.  It's bullet proof, but I prefer the HD200.  The HD200 is a mixed bag.  Some are pretty indestructible, others blow their heads one way or another.   The speeds you're looking at are far from it's top end (70 in the flats even with my fat a$$ on it) so it's well within it's zone.  It's also physically bigger.

That said I'd take a hard look at the GTI200 & the older S250 with more of an eye on the former than the later.
These two have the added advantage that they are a bigger form factor than either of the first two.
The S250 is carb'd.  The GTI200 is FI.  If you could find one (Craigslist maybe?) I'd suggest the GTI300.  Same frame, bigger motor.  It's pretty popular in this forum.

As you may surmise I'm a fan of the big wheel scoots, particularly at higher speeds.  A large chunk of folks in Europe (The SH150I is still the top selling scoot over 50cc) who commute and often don't have a car in addition seem to agree with me on that.

Other bikes to consider, if you aren't shy of the "maxi" look.
Piaggio BV350, Honda Forza, Yamaha Majesty, Burgman 400, Burgman 650, Honda Silverwing, the Kymco Downtown 300i, the Kymco Xciting models with a preference to the 500. The Myroad 700 was discontinued for the U.S., but is still out there (I didn't like the seat, but all tell it's a solid performer).  The one I'd consider, but would need to check out would be the updated SYM Citycom (2016+) which has substantially more oomph than the prior model.

There are a variety of used bikes, & of course showing a preference for your nearby dealer's brands for support is a pretty good idea if you don't do all your own work.

Caveat Emptor, & don't try this at home kids of course.

Cheers
Tromper
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 10:45:16 PM »
Hi Mike.  Tromper's idea of a maxi scooter is a good one especially if you are use to riding a big bike like the 650.  I just don't reckon a smaller scooter would suit you for what you need it to do.   Love the 'Dakar' sticker on your DR as well.   :) 

FnMag

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 10:47:47 PM »
Wish I could multi quote...

Amac, Aren't the only hills in Florida the bridges anyway >? I live North of Panama City in Dothan, the steepest hill commuting, I will deal with, is no steeper than the bridges around PC/Ft. Walton/Destin area and about as long.

I can't believe how crazy prices are around here.. Tallahassee is the next closest scooter dealer and they list MSRP as what they are selling them at. The local guy is using it as the OTD price. With the prices at heinen's + the cost of shipping, I'd save a grand or more, especially on the GT300... Which I kinda like.

Do they have prices like that all the time? I realize they are all 15's, so that may be why.

I haven't bothered too much looking used yet, as I still have to sell mine before I get a new/used one. The last time I waited to sell before buying new, I had 3 before I knew it and the wife was about to kill me. So I'm only allowed one at a time now (shes forgotten about the 4 wheeler behind the shed for now - hehe)

Tromper, I've kinda said some things above that pertain to what you've told me.. I do like the RV200, the HD kinda and I've looked at the SMAX also which seems like a good bike as well. I feel like if I go any higher price that 4k, then I don't really see the point of getting rid of the DR650. I can spend 800 on new wheels and tires and have a supermoto that weighs what the big scoots do or less. 

Deep down, I just want a small little bike. I had a TW200 before the DR and that little thing dragged me around all over for a year and a half (even hitting 70mph a few times!). I guess that is why I like the Fiddle III, Like 200 and if all else fails something like the RV200, SMAX, Burgmann 200 or used burgmann

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 10:49:56 PM »
I'm pretty certain you would regret buying any one of these for your commute:
   Buddy 170i
   Stella
   Fiddle III
   Havana Classic
   Buddy 125
Too small for your needs - even though you like the classic scooter look. The only classically shaped scooter that would fit your needs that is not a crazy high priced Vespa, is the BV. The BV350 would haul you around at any speed. but is more than you want to spend, unless you find a deal on a lightly used one.

Biggest mistake people make (other than believing the salesman who tells you that "the LIKE200i is good for the highway, and will do 60mph." It will be totally out of breath at 56mph - with 0 left for passing or hills. The LIKE is not a highway bike for any size rider.) is buying too small. The LIKE is too small for you and your needs.

That SYM200 will work for you; the People250 will too. But there is a danger that you will soon wish for bigger even with those two fine scoots.

Nothing worse than spending hard earned $$ and finding out you should have gone just a little bigger. That mistake can be fixed - but will be even more expensive than if you got it right the first time with a bigger scooter.
$3500 should get you a lightly used or left-over 200>300 scooter or motorcycle....I would not go smaller than that.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()