Author Topic: Decisions, Decisions Kymco Movie 150 or Super 8 150  (Read 7011 times)

Joebug

• View Profile
Re: Decisions, Decisions Kymco Movie 150 or Super 8 150
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 01:38:58 PM »
Well, you guys seem to know your scoots... That Aprilia was in pieces when I got there yesterday, they said it needed some parts...lol. Didn't even hear it run. The movie started right up but still needs to go through their PDI before purchase...I rode it around the parking lot and it felt quite peppy, my only comparison though is my old Eton Beamer 50 2T ... My issue with the Movie is that it's already 4 model years old...if I were to buy it and drive off the lot, it already depreciated 4 years in 2 seconds. I'm not sure what these were selling for at the time they were new but I'm thinking I can get this Movie for around 2k out the door price... Does that sound reasonable? Also, accessories like luggage racks etc seem to be hard to find for this model. I appreciate all the comments, I believe if I were to pull the trigger on a new scoot....it would be this Movie.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
It is my experience that Kymco scooters are pretty much "upgraded" from the factory. There is VERY little you could do to increase their performance. I tried many things on my People 150 when I first got it and discovered the after-market performance parts actually decreased the performance. I returned to stock and am very happy. Get the Movie. Ride it and enjoy it knowing that it will out last and out perform 95 percent of the same class scooters out there. Just my humble opinion learned from real experience.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 03:39:13 PM »
Well, you guys seem to know your scoots... That Aprilia was in pieces when I got there yesterday, they said it needed some parts...lol. Didn't even hear it run. The movie started right up but still needs to go through their PDI before purchase...I rode it around the parking lot and it felt quite peppy, my only comparison though is my old Eton Beamer 50 2T ... My issue with the Movie is that it's already 4 model years old...if I were to buy it and drive off the lot, it already depreciated 4 years in 2 seconds. I'm not sure what these were selling for at the time they were new but I'm thinking I can get this Movie for around 2k out the door price... Does that sound reasonable? Also, accessories like luggage racks etc seem to be hard to find for this model. I appreciate all the comments, I believe if I were to pull the trigger on a new scoot....it would be this Movie.

Here's a rack for the Movie.
http://www.shadonline.com

2000.00 OTD... Where are you at if you don't buy it I will.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 06:25:05 PM »
$2k out the door! That scoot was about $3200 MSRP when new so the depreciation has already taken place.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:47:19 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Joebug

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 09:56:02 PM »
Yeah about $2k otd! They want to unload them, they aren't bringing anymore scooters in and they need to reduce inventory...they have two 2013 compagno's too a 110i and a carb 110. Nice scooters but a little on the small side for me.. they have a lot of others but I couldn't make out what they were... all  locked up in shipping containers. Fortunately I think I will be saving the Movie from being locked up and take her home. The one sales guy said it was a collectors item.. lol ..not sure if it falls into that category as of yet but ya never know. I couldn't find a specific rack on that link that was posted...you think the universal one will work well? Thanks

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 10:40:52 PM »
For that price, you can't really go wrong with either scoot...Kymco makes great scoots.  If you want more information/feedback, I suggest you browse the Movie 150 & Super 8 150 areas of this forum and see what people like/dislike about the scoots they bought.  Good luck with whatever you purchase.  If it helps, speed is not always what makes the ride most fun.   Things like handling should also be considered.  Also make sure the seat is comfortable.  Based on what you've been saying about foot placement, it sounds like the Movie is the scoot you should be getting.  I wouldn't worry too much about tire size, unless you plan to ride very poor roads with potholes, etc.  The smaller wheels might be a little twitchier at higher speeds, but a lot of other things like wheelbase, trail, and weight also come into play.  If you plan to ride at speeds above 50 mph most of the time, it might be a factor, but then I would consider a larger bike for less engine stress and more weight for stability....just my 2 cents..:)
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 01:00:45 AM »
Kymco sells a rear luggage rack for the Movie which should work as a mounting base for more than a few top cases.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 01:12:59 AM »
 :)  I really do like that color and it is a very stylish looking scooter.

Joebug

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 01:22:35 AM »
I really like it too...all the posts on this thread and not one bad thing was said about it. I think it's a winner. Not sure why it didn't do well... it's sharp looking, more powerful, has nice features, ie.. auto gas cap realease, auto seat release, dual disk brakes, more HP, 4 valve head, etc..

Stig, I cannot find that rear rack on Kymco's site, do you have a link?
Thanks.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 05:59:54 AM »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »
I really like it too...all the posts on this thread and not one bad thing was said about it. I think it's a winner. Not sure why it didn't do well... it's sharp looking, more powerful, has nice features, ie.. auto gas cap realease, auto seat release, dual disk brakes, more HP, 4 valve head, etc..

Stig, I cannot find that rear rack on Kymco's site, do you have a link?
Thanks.
Please explore the whole page....
http://kyps.kymco.com/kyglobal/accessories/access_product_list.html?mcatID=2752

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Joebug

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 12:54:58 PM »
Hey Thanks for those links. I see the catalog but how would I order from it? Would I have to go to the dealer for these parts?

check this out here...http://www.kd-depot.com/UpLoadFiles/CatalogFileURI/20140314480060.pdf

I really like the accessories on this one... these are the upgrades I was looking for. If I can obtain some of these goodies, it would be nice.
I hope to be in my new Movie by the end of the week!

Joebug

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 01:02:48 AM »
Well unfortunately the Movie is a little out of reach for me. The salesperson I was working with who no longer works at the dealership misled me by giving me wrong pricing. Seems this was going on for a little while and he was let go. The $2000 otd price was not what the dealer wanted to sell the scoot for. So, if anyone out there has deeper pockets than I do, this movie is still for sale.
I don't think the super 8 is going to fit me well being the footwell is so tight. So, I'm going to see if I can get into a used Like or People if I can find one.....there's always that Aprilia too... Hmmm more decisions....

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »
Used LIKE's should be avail. below $2000. Have seen new at that price....but who knows what the dealer will add to that.
Private sale. ..might be good...two yr warranty is fully transferable.
Be sure you'd be OK with a top speed @55....most cannot be wrung out past that.
The small People has small foot platform....LIKE is huge.
With end of riding season coming..might find very good deals. ..new or used.
Good luck
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Joebug

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 06:16:41 PM »
I've got my eye on a used 2009 Kymco People 250 1600 miles... private sale... Around the 2K mark.. How are these scoots? is it priced correctly? very good condition, hardly any flaws at all.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()