Author Topic: For Safety - where do you carry cell phone?  (Read 3111 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
For Safety - where do you carry cell phone?
« on: August 09, 2016, 12:44:24 AM »
For safety :
I always carrying my cell phone in the breast pocket of my armored riding jackets. If rain is expected I first place it in a zip bag, then into pocket.

My thinking is that I want it with me, so I can make the call,  if ever I go down.

We remember that Forbes had a bad accident and had to drag his injured body back to his scooter to get to his cell phone.   I never want to have to do that.

I do not expect to find myself very near my scooter after an "off", and my LIKE requires the use of the ignition key to open any of the compartments where a cell phone might be stored.
I do not want to be finding and fumbling with a key and key hole after an off.

A cell phone in a breast pocket is also handy for photos - but mainly it is my nearby link to emergency services.

Some folks use RAM mounts for their cells....how likely is it that your phone would still be there after a bad accident?
What do others do, and why?

Stig

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:47:04 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Budz

• View Profile
Re: For Safety - where do you carry cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:57:31 AM »
my dentist is avid rider (BMW R1200RS), he rides fast and hard 150 mph + and crashed many times. He always says never ride with anythings in your pockets because if you fall the injuries will be greater...

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 01:08:10 AM »
Mine is almost always in my left jeans pocket unless on the charger then its in the front glove box of the Like, but usually always in my pocket.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:11:22 AM »
my dentist is avid rider (BMW R1200RS), he rides fast and hard 150 mph + and crashed many times. He always says never ride with anythings in your pockets because if you fall the injuries will be greater...
Thank you for your response....respectfully - I tend to listen more to the riding advice of those riders who have not "crashed many times".
But I am no expert on riding or crashes.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 02:33:02 AM »
My cell phone, like my wallet is always in one of my pockets unless It's being recharged.  I'm not too worried about being injured by something as small as a cell phone.  If I crash, or my bike is stolen, I want my cell phone with me.  I also put the phone in a ziplock bag if it might get wet. 

Some people leave their phone and wallet on their bikes.  I'd be too worried about them being stolen.  That would suck anytime but even more if you are on a trip and far from home. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 02:55:41 AM »
Stig has a point. I had not gotten a standardized place to carry my cell phone. But I usually carried it in the front pocket of my riding pants zipped inside. Or more often in the lowest pocket on my jacket. My phone is SMALL. I still use a flip phone. If the phone needed to be charged, I would have it under my seat. (In retrospect a bad idea) . Although it was not fully charged, I had it in the right glove box which does not have a key lock. (The left one does). It was only by the grace of God that it did not fly out of the glove box because according to the accident report, the Majesty flipped several times before landing on its side. When I crawled to it, the glove box was OPEN. BUT the phone was laying right at the edge of the glove box barely inside. One more flip, and it would have been GONE.

LOOOONG story short, it would have been safer inside my riding jacket in a lower front zipped pocket because my jacket was intact. And I figure that at that position it would be pressed against my abdomen in an accident which is a soft spot. Just my hindsight idea.
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 03:02:19 AM »
My cell phone, like my wallet is always in one of my pockets unless It's being recharged.  I'm not too worried about being injured by something as small as a cell phone.  If I crash, or my bike is stolen, I want my cell phone with me.  I also put the phone in a ziplock bag if it might get wet. 

Some people leave their phone and wallet on their bikes.  I'd be too worried about them being stolen.  That would suck anytime but even more if you are on a trip and far from home.
Another great point. I USUALLY kept my wallet under the seat as well. But I had just made a purchase at Walmart and the under seat space was full. So I had it on me. Good thing because as soon as I arrived at the Emergency room, they asked for my I.D. and insurance card. Never mind that I was in level 10 pain and hopped up on pain meds from the ambulance ride. I don't know if I would have gotten the same treatment and care without proof of insurance. The out of town hospital was kind of sketchy. But I received excellent treatment. Lol
2009 Xciting 250

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »
Usually keep my phone in my pants or jacket. When riding on my motorcycle I connect the phone to my bluetooth comm.
Agility City 125

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 08:54:13 AM »
Normally its in my backpack or the inside pocket of my jacket.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
I usually keep mine in my lower right jacket pocket with my wallet on the outside of it. That way in case of a crash the phone is protected by my wallet. But I am concerned it will be crushed by my rock hard abs. Well, not really that concerned.  ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »
Stig has a point. I had not gotten a standardized place to carry my cell phone. But I usually carried it in the front pocket of my riding pants zipped inside. Or more often in the lowest pocket on my jacket. My phone is SMALL. I still use a flip phone. If the phone needed to be charged, I would have it under my seat. (In retrospect a bad idea) . Although it was not fully charged, I had it in the right glove box which does not have a key lock. (The left one does). It was only by the grace of God that it did not fly out of the glove box because according to the accident report, the Majesty flipped several times before landing on its side. When I crawled to it, the glove box was OPEN. BUT the phone was laying right at the edge of the glove box barely inside. One more flip, and it would have been GONE.

LOOOONG story short, it would have been safer inside my ridilng jacket in a lower front zipped pocket because my jacket was intact. And I figure that at that position it would be pressed against my abdomen in an accident which is a soft spot. Just my hindsight idea.
Oh man.....not to belittle your terrible injuries Pastor, you know how we feel about what happened to your good self....but the injury report and image of that lovely Majesty flipping down the road is...well, additionally painful for your scooter buddies!
Dadgum bad luck all 'round!
Ah poop.
sorry for the french....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »
However....
The image of the Good Lord presenting that cell phone to you in the open compartment of the "Majesty".....is a precious one. Think I'll hang on to that one!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
Oh man.....not to belittle your terrible injuries Pastor, you know how we feel about what happened to your good self....but the injury report and image of that lovely Majesty flipping down the road is...well, additionally painful for your scooter buddies!
Dadgum bad luck all 'round!
Ah poop.
sorry for the french....
Stig
No that's not belittling it at all. Funny thing is this. Because the accident happened so quickly, those were MY initial thoughts as well. I vaguely remembered  seeing my windscreen and instrument cluster flying off just before I was ejected. And because of the adrenaline I guess, I didn't know I was injured that badly. I remember thinking "awe man! My NEW SCOOTER is messed up! I might not be able to ride it home. I have to call my roadside service to get it.. I wonder if they'll give me a ride too? This is embarrassing!" All that between the time I lost control and the time I noticed my injury. Before I actually LOOKED , it felt like I had knocked my shin badly against a coffee table or something. It was only after I looked and saw my twisted leg with bone and blood that I realized that I had MUCH BIGGER problems than a SCOOTER! Lol. I can laugh at that now. By the way, the accident report filled in the gap . I actually hit 2 signs in the median. The first made me lose control and damaged the windscreen. The second tore off the instrument panel, severed my leg, and ejected me.  Until I read the report, I wondered why I was unable to regain control from simply hitting the curb of the median.

By the way, my sister took pictures of the damaged scooter in the storage yard. I was unable to look at them until last week. But I was able to look at the X-ray images of my leg by the 3rd day in the ICU.
Go figure. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
However....
The image of the Good Lord presenting that cell phone to you in the open compartment of the "Majesty".....is a precious one. Think I'll hang on to that one!
Stig
Yes, that's how I visualized it as well. It's as if the Lord had said "Here you go. Here's your phone" . Also, between Panama City and Tallahassee, there are MANY "dead zones" where there is no cell phone signal is available . I noticed that as I was riding in the ambulance from the hospital in Panama City and Tallahassee and was trying to call various people to tell them that I was being transferred. I'm thankful that my accident was not in one of those dead zones.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
So if you must have an accident, make sure it happens in an area with a good cell phone signal. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()